Gibson Brands Forums

Carpal Tunnel Blues...

deepblue

I have suspected Carpal Tunnel and had to have a Cortisone shot today

Right in the left wrist! *ouch*

I was told to lay off the guitar for a few days....Im not a happy fella!

i feel for ya mate, i get tendonitus in my left hand (first and third) fingers...:-$

hope you feel better soon.

Get care and do what they say, they have great nerve conduction tests now to determine the level of compression (think needles and electricity [crying]) But they don't need to guess anymore which is a huge change in treatment. Carpal Tunnel is vert painful and can do a lot of permanent injury if not treated if they say you need the surgery, do it,. it's fast and helps tremendously to reduce the pain and prevent permanent damage and loss of feeling.

I've had 2 surgeries on the right hand 1 on the left radial nerve work on the right elbow and the left is scheduled for September and I still lost almost 30% of the feeling in my right hand and who knows how much on the left but I can't even feel temperature anymore with my thumb and two fingers on the left.

Good Luck.

Get care and do what they say' date=' they have great nerve conduction tests now to determine the level of compression (think needles and electricity [crying']) But they don't need to guess anymore which is a huge change in treatment. Carpal Tunnel is vert painful and can do a lot of permanent injury if not treated if they say you need the surgery, do it,. it's fast and helps tremendously to reduce the pain and prevent permanent damage and loss of feeling.

I've had 2 surgeries on the right hand 1 on the left radial nerve work on the right elbow and the left is scheduled for September and I still lost almost 30% of the feeling in my right hand and who knows how much on the left but I can't even feel temperature anymore with my thumb and two fingers on the left.

Good Luck.

Thanks Retro....I am listening to the Doc....I have an EMG scheduled in May.

I hope things get better for you as well.

Yikes! I hope you get better. I've been dealing with tennis elbow since last June, brought on from guitar playing. It's finally getting better but I couldn't play my guitar at all for nearly six months. The best advice, already stated here, is to rest it. Good luck my friend...

Okay, I know I'll sound like an echo chamber here harping on one of my favorite subjects, but yeah, rest the thing now, then reconsider the geometry of your joints when you're playing guitar or doing about anything else.

Joints like to move in certain directions with certain muscles and connective tissue operating just like pulleys. When the pulley is not run with a straight line, it puts extra wear on it whether it's a machine of some sort - or your bod.

That's true whether throwing a ball or in dance or in martial arts or ... guitar playing.

m

Okay' date=' I know I'll sound like an echo chamber here harping on one of my favorite subjects, but yeah, rest the thing now, then reconsider the geometry of your joints when you're playing guitar or doing about anything else.

Joints like to move in certain directions with certain muscles and connective tissue operating just like pulleys. When the pulley is not run with a straight line, it puts extra wear on it whether it's a machine of some sort - or your bod.

That's true whether throwing a ball or in dance or in martial arts or ... guitar playing.

m

[/quote']

Thanks Milod...

I think my problem is that I have a very tight grip when I play.

As I get older my tendons etc... are rebelling. lol

What can I say? look at my screen name.

I hope you recover, I had one of those cortizone shots right on my spine and helped for one day. The wrist is different as you can allow it to heal though. Good luck.

This seems to be a continuing problem with all guitarists/drummers that I know.

It's only affected me in the last 2-3 years and I now take fish oil and glucosamine tablets to keep those stabbing pains at bay,cause to me it does feels like someone's stabbing you in the wrist and turning the knife round and round for good measure. Some days are good...some very bad. Though I will say the tablets/meds do make a big difference.

We all pay the price for our fun some where down the line I guess...'tis a cruel god we pray to,and I'm an atheist...

Echo... echo. <grin>

Seriously, if you look at my avatar, then imagine a board placed along my forearm up to where my index finger is? Note that it's all on a plane, even with the wrist bent going onto the guitar neck.

I've had to redo how I use computer mice - which I've used since Windows version 1 - and change how I use keyboards a time or two, but never a problem with guitar playing.

That's not to say that the geometry always is "right," but for a cupla reasons, I'm an absolute nut on keeping the geometry of joint movements correct.

m

Archived