Gibson Brands Forums

Still no luck...

SG dude

Hey guys, not been on in a while, LOTTA fresh faces (well, people[biggrin] ) anyhows, i felt i needed to come here just to vent. I was in my local store today, first time in a while there too, thought, hmmm been saving for a while now, lets see if i can gets me a new SG. i go over to the Gibson bit and lo-and behold still the same problem as it was all that time ago, the colour STILL looks watered down, and the bevels were total rubbish, STILL [angry] I mean, what gives?? Thought you guys wouldve sorted it [cool] heehee, anyway long story short, did not get a thing. refuse to waste my cash when theres still things to be fixed. Seriously considering getting a japanese one and just changing the pickguard.

Sorry if im ruining any vibes but its just a shame.

Ryan.

Hey man, i have one, but im just looking for a new one heehee (treat myself) the one i have is a second hand, few nicks but its not too bad, just thought id get a new one. i have a Gibson and a Burny, and to be honest, the Burny's colour is really cool, better than the gibbys anyway. And the dulk walk? yeah that was like an initiation onto this forum, dare i say it? back in the day. (joke [angry] )

Get another older used one' date=' that should have the bevels you want[/quote']

hey, sorry was away a while. anyways..... thanks, yeah i think thats what im going to have to do, but it shouldnt be the only option, it is, but it shouldnt be, if you get me...

Maybe if enough people just came out and said, "OK, Gibson, since you obviously aren't taking my favorite axe seriously I will NOT be buying one till you do, and until these cosmetic, options and quality issues are addressed" they would listen.

Maybe if we all pledged to buy a new, improved, more authentic SG product upon the correction of the issues, then they would listen.

Oh, Gypsy (Carnes), where art thou? Ten years ago it was clear that their "Customer Relations" listened. What happened?!?!?

H-Bomb

PS...Dragon: I actually owned an old S-100 for a while. Ugly as sin, but definitely a solid axe! An SG substitute? No. But cool in its own right, just ask my man Kim Thayil! [biggrin]

Maybe if enough people just came out and said' date=' "OK, Gibson, since you obviously aren't taking my favorite axe seriously I will NOT be buying one till you do, and until these cosmetic, options and quality issues are addressed" they would listen.

Maybe if we all pledged to buy a new, improved, more authentic SG product upon the correction of the issues, then they would listen.

Oh, Gypsy (Carnes), where art thou? Ten years ago it was clear that their "Customer Relations" listened. What happened?!?!?

H-Bomb

PS...Dragon: I actually owned an old S-100 for a while. Ugly as sin, but definitely a solid axe! An SG substitute? No. But cool in its own right, just ask my man Kim Thayil! :)

[/quote']

Hey,

Well i for one am pledging right here, right now, that I am not buying ANY Gibson model. I am buying a Jaydee. Going to get a custom one done :) it'll also be done right for a change too. (I'd like to thank SG fan 420 for opening my eyes to them properly. Cheers. [lol] )

I agree... boycott Gibson and buy Fenders!... (joke)

I have an SG special that I bought in 2003.. I regularly try out SG's at my local store in Hong Kong for fun... the only one that comes close to the quality and feel of it is the Angus Sig model... The new standards and multi-coloured horrors (orange/green etc....YUCK!) feel like the old 'Encore' my friend had when we were growing up!!!

I have a custom model too.. es359.. had to be taken back to the shop to correct an error with the frets.. the high 'e' was always kicking off the fretboard! Seems that Gibson has let itself go a little.....

I really wanted a Les Paul Jr. but I was disappointed with the feel/ finish of the ones in my local store and ended up ordering a Gordon Smith version from the UK upon recommendation of my old touring band mate.. I'm getting a custom paint job, choice of pups, selector switch and jack moved to where I specified!! for under 600GB pounds.

However, that said.. the SG is still number one BY FAR!! I guess I got lucky with that one!!

Chiseen.

SG Special

ES-359

Epiphone Sheraton

Fender Jaguar

(Gordon Smith GS1.5 '60' coming soon)

Chiseen, did you go to tom lee in wan chai, around christmas? there was the old angus sg there, and somehow the guys there managed to mess that one up at the vibrola 0________0 but before that it played so well [biggrin] so i agree with you but i still like the sg standard more.

It's amazing, that Gibson can't (or more likely, won't) make THEIR SG, as well as the Japanese do, anymore.

At least, without going "Custom Shop," and even then, it's the wrong color, even for an "aged" version.

My MIJ (Epi) SG is a LOT closer, to what my old '60's era SG was. Beveling, the slight cut-back on the ends of the horns,

the color, long neck tenon, Nitro finish, etc., etc., etc. Of course, Gibson won't even let them, make this one, anymore. ;>b

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

CB

@ chiseen, the angus young sg i saw was the old one model [biggrin] was a beautiful guitar. The wan chai store, imo, is worth a visit, a decent collection of gibsons there; Nothing special otherwise haha. Is the tst one worth a visit? yes, i know i should be a shamed of myself that i haven't been to the tst tom lee yet xD. They have a dusk tiger in the wan chai tom lee... UGLIEST GUITAR EVER, also, they have a reverse explorer though i have never played it before :/. Their sg collection is not very good anymore, sigh, a lot of les pauls last time i checked but i don't know any more, i also saw a bb king Lucille in the back (beautiful red colour) but i have to say it isn't jaw dropping [biggrin].

Archived