Gibson Brands Forums

Any Basses You Parted With, And Wish You Haden't?

sgbass

The only bass I really regret having to sell was this 1975 4001. This bass sang. Unfortunately it was damaged by a repair person. The shop bought it from me for what I had into it, but it was absolutely killer, one of the best Rics I ever played. The '86 4003 I had some years afterwards was okay but nothing like this one.

75riccua.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only bass I really regret having to sell was this 1975 4001. This bass sang. Unfortunately it was damaged by a repair person. The shop bought it from me for what I had into it, but it was absolutely killer, one of the best Rics I ever played. The '86 4003 I had some years afterwards was okay but nothing like this one.

75riccua.jpg

That's a sad story [crying] . It is amazing how identical instruments can play and sound completely different. When you have a great one, it's hard to let it go... Even though the shop paid for it - some things just can't be replaced.

That's a sad story [crying] . It is amazing how identical instruments can play and sound completely different. When you have a great one, it's hard to let it go... Even though the shop paid for it - some things just can't be replaced.

That's no lie. Iwas so happy with this one I nearly went beserk when I found they snapped off the end of one of the truss rods. This person was only familiar with newer 4003's where you can just make the adjustment under tension. The 4001's require you to either loosen the strings or bend the neck down (preferably in a jig) prior to tightening. Losing this one hurt.

The shop ended up sending it back to Ric for repairs and finally sold the bass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The only one I miss is my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I modified it by adding the selector switch (nothing focuses the mind like addressing a carved top with a drill press ;) ) and replaced the guts with EMG-HB pickups and an EMG-BQC 3 band EQ. Man, that bass kicked butt. Sold it to fund other purchases which of course aren't here any more. I got in touch recently with the guy I sold it to and needless to say he's delighted with it and isn't intending selling it any time soon.

5233839441_99f3cf99e9_b.jpg

But help is at hand - I have a 2007 Les Paul Double Cut winging its way to me and I intend to put a spare EMG-BQC in it. See if some of the old magic comes back ;)

5233839441_99f3cf99e9_b.jpg

But help is at hand - I have a 2007 Les Paul Double Cut winging its way to me and I intend to put a spare EMG-BQC in it. See if some of the old magic comes back ;)

I think you'll find a ton of magic in the Double Cut. I have an '06 with a Aguilar OBP-3 in it and I swapped the neck TB+ HB with an Alumitone HB . It's a great bass - a real "player"; great action, aggressive tone, and it's light!! I have to say that the only reason I did the mods was that the stock TB+ HBs buzzed & hummed in 1/2 the rooms I play (sounded like a light saber!). I had this problem with all 4 of my TB+ loaded Gibsons. I used to bring a back-up bass to every new job just in case! If you don't have that problem, you might want to leave it alone - TB+ HBs are some of the best sounding pups I've ever heard, and it's an awesome sounding bass just the way it is. If you do have the buzz, active electronics will just make it louder; you'll need to change the pups.

I think you'll find a ton of magic in the Double Cut. I have an '06 with a Aguilar OBP-3 in it and I swapped the neck TB+ HB with an Alumitone HB . It's a great bass - a real "player"; great action, aggressive tone, and it's light!! I have to say that the only reason I did the mods was that the stock TB+ HBs buzzed & hummed in 1/2 the rooms I play (sounded like a light saber!). I had this problem with all 4 of my TB+ loaded Gibsons. I used to bring a back-up bass to every new job just in case! If you don't have that problem, you might want to leave it alone - TB+ HBs are some of the best sounding pups I've ever heard, and it's an awesome sounding bass just the way it is. If you do have the buzz, active electronics will just make it louder; you'll need to change the pups.

Cool, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. I've not had any trouble with TB+ pickups so far, my IV has two and has always been impeccably behaved wherever I've played it. I just fancy mixing things up a bit, so that I have something that's not just another passive 2 HB+ pickup bass :)

EDIT: Yas, just got USPS email to say it's in the UK. Now, Mr. Customs Man, please be busy/distracted/looking the other way... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Several years ago, I had agreed to play bass for a band that a friend of mine was trying to put together. He had the guitars covered already so, since I had wanted originally to play the bass, I saw it as an opportunity to realize a long-time wish of mine.

To carry-out my new-found duties, I looked for a Guild Starfire(?)—like the one Chris Hillman used with The Byrds. But those were recently phased-out at the time and I couldn't find one. So, I bought an Epiphone Rivoli in sunburst. It was really cool-looking, and sounded awesome. But after two practices, it was clear that the band was not happening. The chemistry just wasn't there. So.... the Rivoli ended up on eBay, and I went back to my main thing: the 6-string!

Unfortunately, I never got any pics of it. But it looked like this one:

4278943513_ae6c480e3d_m.jpg

I wish I had kept that bass!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't regret having parted with any of the basses; but, I do regret trading in my Ampeg B-15 for the Kustom 100 back in 1967. The Kustome was better for preforming; but, the Ampeg was warm and classic. I was young and foolish.

Kustom made some top amps back then. Kustoms were the working man's amp. [thumbup]

I don't regret having parted with any of the basses; but, I do regret trading in my Ampeg B-15 for the Kustom 100 back in 1967. The Kustome was better for preforming; but, the Ampeg was warm and classic. I was young and foolish.

I had the Ampeg flip-top B-15 too! Traded it for a Fender Bassman with 2x12's. I regret not keeping the Ampeg every day and don't regret swapping the Fender for an Acoustic 360 one little bit!

John

I had an inexpensive copy of a "P" bass that I absolutely loved. I had installed Fender 1/4 pounder pups in it and Fender Tuners and corresponding decals. For all intents and purposes it WAS a Fender "P" bass. I sold it and a neat little Ampeg bass amp (1X12) to a young kid and his mom with the codicil that if he EVER did drugs I got it back without refunding his money. I guess it worked...that was over 20 years ago.

Kustom made some top amps back then. Kustoms were the working man's amp. [thumbup]

The Kustom looked cool and could handle most venues I was working bars and night clubs. The Kustom (2-15's and white metal flake rolled and pleated); provided me with great memories but no regrets.

The Kustom looked cool and could handle most venues I was working bars and night clubs. The Kustom (2-15's and white metal flake rolled and pleated); provided me with great memories but no regrets.

A friend back then had a Red with Gold Metal Flake, and two, 2X15 JBL cabs. Then he changed out to the Acoustic 361.

• 3 weeks later...

Left handed Musicman Stingray - why oh why oh why did I sell it!?! and for silly cheap money!

And the one I don't regret?

Rickenbacker 4003 - Wanted a Ric since the 70s - and couldn't get on with it at all when I finally found the money to buy one - expensive mistake!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived