Gibson Brands Forums

Short or Long Scale?

sgbass

I'm not a bass player, but I have both a Strat (long) and a LP (short). I love both guitars, but to me, the shorter, fatter neck of the LP feels a little more natural.

I know they say the longer scale means more tension on the strings, but the Strat feels more "slinky" to me. It might just be my imagination, but the shorter LP neck has a tighter feel to me.

I played a LOT of bass in the late'70's/early '80's around Mesa/Phx/Apache Jct.

I bought a short scale Fender, I swear I think is was called a "Music Master" (or something like that) and it was red, single pickup maybe? I would play bass when called upon, still do, was always pretty good at it.....

Anyhow, I was working at "Big 2 Olds/Toyota in Mesa, in the Body Shop and our painter had won 1st place at Motorama 2 years in a row with a Corvette, and he was a master at "Candy" (translusent) colors and he painted that bass for me around 1979/80/81

The headstock and neck was left with just the Candy blue with no primer, as it went towards the body he used a gray primer, then it faded to a black primer, which made the "blue" change colors.

I swapped it for something and left Arizona around 1982. But I talked to a guy years later (a decade or so actually) who said that bass was still floating around the area, somebody had actually put an Arizona license plate on it for a pickguard.

I voted long scale, but this thread reminded me of that bass.

I started short scale way back when. Then used Fender long scale 34" necks. Just recently came back home to a Gibson short scale. When I stuck an open E on a Fender long scale, it was not a clean E. Too much distortion. It was like the open E was too loose. 34" neck. I play the open E on the SG Std. bass, through the same amp, set at appropriate settings, no distortion.

I can see uses for both. The different tensions give very different qualities. I'm playing standard scale, 34", now. After my Ibanot fiasco of this winter past, I've been looking at/listening to a lined fretless short scale bass from Rob Allen Guitars, the Mouse 30. After listening to several sound clips I've been seduced by the near-acoustic qualities demonstrated by this instrument and can definitely see a place for it in my future.

Image is link

m30-full_WalnutC.jpg

I prefer short.... but my only bass now is a cheapie long scale.

Some 35 years ago I got the wife a Fender short scale. She hated it. I loved it. She won and got a Precision. Then she quit playing entirely and eventually sold it.

m

For many years i could only afford Strat's so i never knew how LP's felt. But when i was able to buy An LP i've never looked back.Great guitars and i want more.I still use my Fenders but i finish playing with Gibsons.

I had a Peavey Cirrus with the 35" scale which IMO is a beautiful and well made bass that also sounded great. I think if I had hands the size of Jaco, it would have been easier for me to play! My hands were getting a serious work-out with that beast!

The Rickenbacker bass scale is shorter than the "standard" 34" scale, but I've really been enjoying a used Epiphone EBO with the 30" scale. A shorter scale means that there is less hand movement required over the frets. I think this is a big plus if the music you play involves a lot of notes of different chords.

I do like the sound of the low B string on a bass due to the thicker string; but having that on a 30" scale doesn't seem like a popular alternative. I think the B string would be too floppy due to the short scale. That's the trade-off; certainly I think there are uses for both short and long scale basses depending on the music one plays.

I think it's a good idea to experiment with long and short bass scales to determine what scale is comfortable for you to play and suits the type of music that you're playing.

Archived