Gibson Brands Forums

If You Like Zeppelin.......

Rocky4

What else do you listen to?

With all the Page/Zeppelin bashing going on, I wonder what the mind set of a Zeppelin fan is. I know we're different. Pete Townshend once said that Zeppelin fans are a different breed, they don't see music like most people do. Jocko says they're a great studio band, but horrible live. I listen to more live Zep than studio, and that includes honest non overdubbed bootlegs.

I love blues. Freddie King is my favorite, and I also love 50s Chess blues. Earl Hooker, Morris Pejoe, Howlin Wolf, Otis Span, etc. I'm a big Otis Rush fan. Johnny Winter, BB King, Elmore James. etc. Oddly enough, I'm not a SRV fan.

Early Elvis, and Chuck Berry

I like early 90s grunge, alt, whatever. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumkins, Janes Addiction.

I like some funk.. James Brown to Nikka Costa

A little jazz, totally acoustic. No electric guitars. Coltranes' A Love Supreme is amazing, as is Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. Art Blakey, Charle Parker, Dizzy, Monk. Mostly Be Bop

The Beatles

Dozens of one hit wonders.

Early Deep Purple, Aerosmith (Rocks is one of the best albums made) Mick Taylor era Stones, Bon Scott era AC DC, DLR era Van Halen.

I know I've missed a bunch. You can see what I don't like in the Guilty un Pleasure Thread.

I worshiped Zep since their Presence album came out and into the 90's. However, I can't listen to the songs anymore. A man can only eat steak for so long. I seen Robert Plant with Allison Krauss in Atlantic City. It was refreshing to hear some new material from Robert.

What else do you listen to?

I love blues. Freddie King is my favorite' date=' and I also love 50s Chess blues. Earl Hooker, Morris Pejoe, Howlin Wolf, Otis Span, etc. I'm a big Otis Rush fan. Johnny Winter, BB King, Elmore James. etc. Oddly enough, I'm not a SRV fan.

Early Elvis, and Chuck Berry

[/quote']

Agree 100%, although I dig SRV. Most of the bands I like, other than Zeppelin, are blues-based for the most part. Allman's, Tom Petty, Derek Trucks, Black Keys, White Stripes, etc. Too many individuals and bands to name. I think if you're into these guys, you probably have a taste for the blues.

Aw man, I dig all kinds of stuff. -Mostly metal, rock, and indie. I do like a lot of jazz (stuff from bebop up until jazz fusion mostly), blues (John Lee Hooker is one of my favorites -I love that guy), and some country (Cash, Hank I, Patsy).

I don't really understand the Zeppelin bashing, but to each his own I guess. When I started studying art in college, we had to begin with learning about the old masters. I kinda think of Zeppelin as part of the rock and roll equivalent of the old masters. Weather you like them or not, they're part of the foundation that other modern rock music is built on.

I haven't heard any Zeppelin bashing going on here, just some people that don't think they're the greatest band in rock history like some people would have you believe. I personally think they are great, and dig most of their music, but don't think they are the greatest ever. I do believe Page is ONE of the greatest players in rock history, notice I said one of the greatest, not THE greatest. I feel the same about Led Zeppelin, they are one of the most influential bands in rock history, along with Cream, Black Sabbath, The Who, The Beatles, AC/DC, and many, many others. Remember they didn't shape Rock and Roll on their own[cool] Just my 2 pennys (gets off soap box.)

P.S. As to the question, I dig alot of Led Zep, also Black Sab., Allman Bros., Almost everything Claptons ever done, AC/DC, Metallica, Outlaw Country (Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash), and loads more, if it sounds good to me, I listen to it.

In no particular order: Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitri Shostakovitch, Antonin Dvorak, Josef Suk, Muddy Waters, Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, Chicago, Paul Desmond, Beethoven, Manhattan Transfer, Bill Withers, Billy Joel, Billy Stewart, Kenny Burrell, Joe Walsh, Elvis, Sinatra, Eric Gale, Beatles, Fikret Amirov, Cal Tjader, The Clovers, The Coasters, Moody Blues, Beach Boys, CSNY, BST, ELP, D&D, EC, JB, Aretha, Kurt Atterberg, Robert Johnson, Joaquin Rodrigo, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Count Basie, Don Henley, Steely Dan, Anita O'Day, Astor Piazzolla, Manuel de Falla, Keb' Mo', Charlie Parker, Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Yes, Supertramp, A.C.Jobim, Andrews Sisters, Vasily Kalinnikov, Boz Scaggs, Steve Miller, Thelonious Monk, Vanilla Fudge, Gino Vannelli, Horace Silver, Etta James, Gene Harris, Duke Ellington, Eddie Palmieri, Eliane Elias, Richie Cole, Mark Murphy, Sam "the Man" Taylor, Antal Dorati, Enrique Granados, Ennio Morricone, Hank Ballard, Lonnie Mack, Wes Montgomery, Lester Young, Mario Bauza, Mose Allison, Otis Redding, Perez Prado, Tito Puente, Queen, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Illinois Jacquet, Ray Barretto, Son House, T-Bone Walker, Jethro Tull, Shirley Horn, Zoot Sims, Jeff Beck, Harry Sweets Edison, Lambert Hendricks & Ross, Herb Ellis, Pepper Adams, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Buckwheat Zydeco, Buddy Greco, Pink Floyd, Joe Pass, Tom Petty, Nino Rota, Golden Earring, Toto, Bonnie Raitt, Django, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, Dion, Dr. John, 3 Kings of the Blues, Houston Person, Jimmy Forrest, Jimmy Reed, Jimmy Smith, Bob Marley, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Joe Bonamassa, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, Eddie Jefferson, Jim Hall, San Kenton, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Barbecue Bob, Paquito D'Rivera, Santana, King Curtis, Ken Peplowski, Sonny Boy Williamson (I and II), Gato Barbieri, Ottorino Respighi, OK, I could go on and on -- too many artists, how about styles: Motown, Fado, Cape Verde Island Music, various forms of Jazz, Salsa, Brazilian, Soca, Reggae, Classic Rock, Blues, romantic to modern era "classical", Disco, Swing, R&B, Classic Oldies, Do Wop, Klezmer, Tuvan, Ska, --- too many styles to list so I'll quit now. You get the idea.

Life is too short to listen to only one kind of music.

I have well over 500 CDs, 500 LPs, hundreds of tapes, and hundreds of legal downloads.

There are only 2 kinds of music:

1) Good music

2) Music written for somebody else's ears

I like Zeppelin a lot and fortunately radio did not ruin them for me, I always thought they were a breed apart but I always have hold Black Sabbath above them, not that they compare really.

If there is bashing going on is because a lot of people simply react to the shoving that goes on with Zeppelin and other artists, its natural to react that way IMO, especially if you don't like them much.

In no particular order: Sergei Prokofiev' date=' Dmitri Shostakovitch, Antonin Dvorak, Josef Suk, Muddy Waters, Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, Chicago, Paul Desmond, Beethoven, Manhattan Transfer, Bill Withers, Billy Joel, Billy Stewart, Kenny Burrell, Joe Walsh, Elvis, Sinatra, Eric Gale, Beatles, Fikret Amirov, Cal Tjader, The Clovers, The Coasters, Moody Blues, Beach Boys, CSNY, BST, ELP, D&D, EC, JB, Aretha, Kurt Atterberg, Robert Johnson, Joaquin Rodrigo, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Count Basie, Don Henley, Steely Dan, Anita O'Day, Astor Piazzolla, Manuel de Falla, Keb' Mo', Charlie Parker, Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Yes, Supertramp, A.C.Jobim, [b']Andrews Sisters[/b], Vasily Kalinnikov, Boz Scaggs, Steve Miller, Thelonious Monk, Vanilla Fudge, Gino Vannelli, Horace Silver, Etta James, Gene Harris, Duke Ellington, Eddie Palmieri, Eliane Elias, Richie Cole, Mark Murphy, Sam "the Man" Taylor, Antal Dorati, Enrique Granados, Ennio Morricone, Hank Ballard, Lonnie Mack, Wes Montgomery, Lester Young, Mario Bauza, Mose Allison, Otis Redding, Perez Prado, Tito Puente, Queen, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Illinois Jacquet, Ray Barretto, Son House, T-Bone Walker, Jethro Tull, Shirley Horn, Zoot Sims, Jeff Beck, Harry Sweets Edison, Lambert Hendricks & Ross, Herb Ellis, Pepper Adams, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Buckwheat Zydeco, Buddy Greco, Pink Floyd, Joe Pass, Tom Petty, Nino Rota, Golden Earring, Toto, Bonnie Raitt, Django, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, Dion, Dr. John, 3 Kings of the Blues, Houston Person, Jimmy Forrest, Jimmy Reed, Jimmy Smith, Bob Marley, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Joe Bonamassa, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, Eddie Jefferson, Jim Hall, San Kenton, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Barbecue Bob, Paquito D'Rivera, Santana, King Curtis, Ken Peplowski, Sonny Boy Williamson (I and II), Gato Barbieri, Ottorino Respighi, OK, I could go on and on -- too many artists, how about styles: Motown, Fado, Cape Verde Island Music, various forms of Jazz, Salsa, Brazilian, Soca, Reggae, Classic Rock, Blues, romantic to modern era "classical", Disco, Swing, R&B, Classic Oldies, Do Wop, Klezmer, Tuvan, Ska, --- too many styles to list so I'll quit now. You get the idea.

Life is too short to listen to only one kind of music.

I have well over 500 CDs, 500 LPs, hundreds of tapes, and hundreds of legal downloads.

There are only 2 kinds of music:

1) Good music

2) Music written for somebody else's ears

The Andrews Sisters?!

I can listen to every Zeppelin album from beginning to end, without feeling like I need to skip any tracks. (Even Carouselambra) That's what makes them the best ever for me.

Current bands that I like--The Parlor Mob, Year Long Disaster, The Sword, Muse, Baroness, The Black Keys, The Black Angels, Dirty Sweet, Gentlemans Pistols, Radio Moscow, Wolfmother, Tool.

I can listen to every Zeppelin album from beginning to end' date=' without feeling like I need to skip any tracks. (Even Carouselambra) That's what makes them the best ever for me.

Current bands that I like--The Parlor Mob, Year Long Disaster, The Sword, Muse, Baroness, The Black Keys, The Black Angels, Dirty Sweet, Gentlemans Pistols, Radio Moscow, Wolfmother, Tool.[/quote']

My band has played a couple times with Year Long Disaster. -Rich (their bass player) is a friend of mine. They're really cool dudes. If you like them listen to Karma To Burn (Rich's old band) they're freakin' awesome.

I love Led Zeppelin and as much as I think Jimmy Page contributed a lot to the band as a producer and guitarist, I do feel his playing is rather sloppy at times. Although having said that, Eddie Van Halen once said regarding Zeppelin's Heartbreaker (with it's "sloppy" solo) that if there had been no Heartbreaker, there would be no Eddie Van Halen.

Out of all their live stuff, I still never get sick of hearing "The Song Remains The Same" or of watching it on DVD. I believe it best represents Led Zeppelin when they were at their peak.

I don't understand the Page/Zeppelin bashing either. I would never say that Page and Zeppelin are the "best", but in my opinion there is no band, which is "better" or "more important" than Led Zeppelin. Page has written around 30 of the most important songs in the history of Rock. Who can top that?

Other stuff I like to hear?

A lot of the Classic Rock (Who, Floyd, Sabbath, Velvet Underground, etc.)

Art Rock (Yes, King Crimson, old Genesis)

Punk/Alternative (Ramones, Dinosaur Jr., Tool, Pavement, basically anything with an edge. I could go on and on...)

And yes, some older Jazz (Coltrane, Evans, Davis) as well as Classical Music (Beethoven, Brahms, etc.)

I don't understand the Page/Zeppelin bashing either. I would never say that Page and Zeppelin are the "best"' date=' [/quote']

That's the thing, to a lot of die hard Led Zeppelin fans simply implying that Led Zeppelin is not the "best" constitutes bashing.[biggrin]

The Andrews Sisters?!

Indeed. Very tight vocals/harmonies and you can hear that they are having fun when they are singing. I think they are the best of the "big band/pop" girl groups.

Yes some of the material was very corny by today's standards, but sometimes corny music is fun.

I have very varied tastes. I can listen to the Andrews Sisters and Prokofiev on the same day, and they are probably opposite ends of the musical spectrum.

It's like potato chips and steak. Just because I really like a nice filet mignon, doesn't mean a couple of potato chips aren't fun.

And you can learn some things about harmony and phrasing by listening to the A.Sisters.

BTW, I've seen Zep live 3 times, and I thought they were a very good live band.

Notes ?

Karma To Burn is pretty awesome. I didn't include them on my list because I haven't heard the "new" Karma To Burn, and don't even know if it's the same lineup. They've been playing with YLD lately, so I just assumed Rich was doing double duty. They are a good bunch of guys....Brad was selling the merch at the first show of theirs I made, and he, Rich and I talked for half an hour before Daniel finally joined us. Very cool, laid back guys.

I have very varied tastes. I can listen to the Andrews Sisters and Prokofiev on the same day' date=' and they are probably opposite ends of the musical spectrum.

[/quote']

Just yankin' your chain, Notes. Our tastes are very similar, except for Gato, Gino, Billy Joel, and Motown. Grew up on Motown and just got tired of most of it. Love Booker T and Steve Cropper.

Eric Gale is definitely underrated. Multiplication was classic.

Just yankin' your chain' date=' Notes. [/quote']

Thanks!! My dad taught me that teasing is a sign of affection.

Our tastes are very similar' date=' except for Gato, Gino, Billy Joel, and Motown. Grew up on Motown and just got tired of most of it. Love Booker T and Steve Cropper.

Eric Gale is definitely underrated. Multiplication was classic.[/quote']

I played for Motown for a short time (we were first choice to become Earth Wind and Fire, but our lawyers and Motown's couldn't agree on things). Those musicians were a lot more than what they put on records.

There is a lot of great music out there in almost every genre.

Notes

I played for Motown for a short time (we were first choice to become Earth Wind and Fire' date=' but our lawyers and Motown's couldn't agree on things). Those musicians were a lot more than what they put on records.

[/quote']

Great stuff. Earth Wind and Fire definitely was a talented group. Saw them live in Charlotte in the late '70s when Doug Henning did the "choreography." Their lead singer was Maurice White (I think). I was on about the tenth row and he floated right over the top of me, then disappeared and was back on stage in a flash. Cool concert.

Archived