Gibson Brands Forums

B.C. Rich Mockingbird...

What do you guys think about the neck-through, USA made B.C. Rich Mockingbirds? I had never given them a second thought before, but J.D. Cronise from The Sword plays one, and it will flat out tear some sh*t up. I always saw B.C. Rich as crap guitars for wanna be metalheads. Has anyone ever played one? Thoughts?

B.C. Rich started as a custom shop, after they got bigger they expanded their lines to have imports available at a lower price kids could afford. Their USA made guitars are top notch IMO, I have played a USA made and an import of good quality and they both sounded and played great. The finish and fit were excellent.

The Mockingbird is one of my favorite BC Rich body shapes along with the Warlock and Bich.

What StiffHand said. I had Aerosmith's "Live Bootleg" record and my first exposure to BC Rich was the liner photos with Joe Perry holding up a Bich. I've always viewed them as a top notch company on par with any other high end guitar maker and it wasn't until around 25 years ago that they started selling a budget line.

celebbcr.jpg

Their USA guitars are pretty good. But if you want what I'd consider a 'true' BC Rich, then get a Bernie Rico Jr. guitar. Bernie Rico is the son of Bernie Rico Sr, the guy that started BC Rich. Rico Jr still does guitars the way his dad did in the early days.

I had an NJ Neck Thru Mockingbird for a while. Really a rock solid guitar. Made in Korea. I have never played an MIA Rich. I actually haven't touched any Rich/Rico since my mockingbird. Actually quite comfy to play. If I had money to throw away, I'd buy it again just to have it. I just didn't need another FR trem guitar and I had no special attachment to it. I'd get a non trem.

If you have the money and find one you like, go for it.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with trem guitars. I'll probably keep my Strat, but I don't think I'll consciously look for another trem guitar. I've never played a B.C. Rich guitar--and now that I think about it, if I have the money, I'll buy a '61 SG Reissue. The Mockingbird looks so cool, though. It doesn't look like it would be headstock heavy--that surprises me.

when i was 13, I was taking lessons at a guitar store locally, and had them repair a wiring problem on my guitar. Well, they let me borrow a USA Mockingbird, and it was amazing. If I only knew at the time that it was worth about 20x more than the guitar I was having repaired. Maybe I would've never come back? J/K, but it was a wonderful guitar.

Archived