Gibson Brands Forums

You thought Pick Guards were for sissies.....

FirstMeasure

I read that in GP' date=' and I have to say, it's pretty crazy he would say that......ecspecially since he has a 25,000 Signature Les Paul. [/quote']

Exactly. What the hell was he thinking? Lots of players who buy that kind of stuff read that magazine. He just told them his signature guitar is one a) POS, B) he doesn't use, and c) poor excuse for the real thing.

WTF

The rest of the story:

Beck:

It's a totally different animal. One is for very subtle and, I would say, more musical things that you can distract and abuse.

You can't do that with a Les Paul. It's too delicate.

It's got a very delicate tone; most people don't ever realize that because they are plugged into monstrous amplifiers

which completely, instantaneously covers up the unique sound quality it has.

All those years of development go straight out the window when you overload the amp.

(Music Connection, April 2010, page 37)

Personally, I don't agree with him. One guitar does what the other doesn't, but when I read that it hit me right between the eyes and struck me as Very Funny.

However, I get what he means. When you have your Strat set up for a Floating Trem you have to learn how to compensate for the tension and release of the floating trem. It's "harder" to do than on a hard tail or Stop Tail bridge, period.

I'm not surprised he went ahead and said it. Jeff Beck never cared whether or not his Crap was selling. He's always been the kind of player who said or played what was on his mind.

For the record, and AXE®'s state of mind, here's the Context......

2184782240100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

How referencing a totally different article puts the quote in context is beyond me, maybe AXE® can explain that.

Personally' date=' I don't agree with him. One guitar does what the other doesn't, but when I read that it hit me right between the eyes and struck me as Very Funny.

However, I get what he means. When you have your Strat set up for a Floating Trem you have to learn how to compensate for the tension and release of the floating trem. It's "harder" to do than on a hard tail or Stop Tail bridge, period.

I'm not surprised he went ahead and said it. Jeff Beck never cared whether or not his Crap was selling. He's always been the kind of player who said or played what was on his mind.

For the record, and AXE®'s state of mind, here's the Context......

How referencing a totally different article puts the quote in context is beyond me, maybe AXE® can explain that.[/quote']

I thought AXE® referenced the same article, guess I missed that part [bored]

I understand what Beck is saying though, it may make him unpopular with some, but I respect that. I say a lot of stuff that is off my mind that is true. I don't BS, I tell it like it is [crying]

I thought AXE® referenced the same article' date=' guess I missed that part [blush']

I understand what Beck is saying though, it may make him unpopular with some, but I respect that. I say a lot of stuff that is off my mind that is true. I don't BS, I tell it like it is :-

That's ok, I knew some might have to go through the phases of grief before accepting a comment like that about their favorite Guitar. Axe®'s denial is the first step towards acceptance [biggirin]

It certainly answers the question "Why did Jeff beck stop using Les Pauls and Stay with Strats for so long". He likes the fight. SRV and Hendrix have made similar comments about Strats, they didn't call other guitars names, but they liked the fight.

That's exactly why I play Strats, but it's also why I play a Gibson. Sometime you want that "Buttery Ease" that comes with a Gibby Neck and a Hard Tail. But when Ima Play me some Blues I like the guitar to make me work for it.

I think he could of done without the "sissy" comment. If a guitar company was to honor me with a signature guitar' date=' I wouldn't make such comments like that.[/quote']

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Beck come out on a Damage Control Tour of the late night shows, sporting a JB Sig Les Paul.

He's half right about the trem thing. The other half of the equation that makes bending strings more difficult on a Strat is the scale length; since it's a little longer, the strings need more tension on them to bring the guitar up to pitch. It is much easier to bend strings on an LP than on a Strat or Tele.

Archived