Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pins for a new Martin D-28 EP

Jack6849

Hi,

I know you guys and gals have talked about this issue before my time on the Forum and it's even mentioned in GillianGirl's signature, but if you wouldn't mind one more time... Friday I bought a new "Martin D-28 Elvis Presley" (the version of the model without the leather cover) and although it is a fairly expensive guitar and has a bone nut and saddle, its bridge pins are plastic. (White with black dots..)

Most of my best acoustics came with bone or "fossil ivory" bridge pins, so my question is: Should I change these plastic ones, and if so, why? What should I replace them with? Can the bridge pins really enhance the tone, or is this an issue, like the ToneRite, where opinions vary so much that I'd best just try to figure it out for myself? I've noticed occasional humorous references (example: gg) to Bob Colosi pins, so I just sent an email to his site asking him for info, but I'm also interested in your opinions, if you would care to comment, and if I'm not opening an issue about which there has already been too much discussion and debate. (Being rather new here, I don't know the history of this topic on the Gibson Forum.) Anyway, what bridge pins do you like, use, or recommend, and why? The first replacements I considered were a bone set from AllParts which my dealer had in stock for $24 but they seemed a bit larger in diameter than the Martin's stock pins or the Martin factory holes drilled in the bridge. Is that normally an issue that has to be dealt with when pins are replaced or upgraded?

Thanks in advance,

Jack6849

Should I change these plastic ones' date=' and if so, why? What should I replace them with? [/quote']

Here are the main points to keep in mind:

1. You should change them, because it will improve the tone.

2. You shouldn't bother changing them, because it will have no effect on the tone.

3. You should change them, because they won't affect the tone, but they will improve the appearance.

4. You should change them to fossilized ivory.

5. You should change them to bone.

6. You should change them to ebony.

7. You should change them to the better plastic ones made by Antique Acoustics.

Finally, but most importantly,

8. Get the replacements from Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com).

I think that pretty much covers it.[biggrin]

-- Bob R

Every time I visit a livestock operation I slip some calcium supplements into the feed. Boy, you just wait 'til "harvest time" this fall. I'm stocking up on bandsaw blades and I'm shopping for a little teeny lathe.

I'm thinking of getting some Colosi pins for one of my Ovations.

[biggrin]

(Just seeing if you're paying attention.....)

And if you'll note my avatar pic, you'll see that as early as January 1968 I discovered the superiority of using black pins on the 'D' and 'G' strings.

Except in that pic I don't even think the Kay had strings on it. I never sounded better! My father used the orange-packaged Gibson strings but I preferred Black Diamonds. I wanted strings that sounded as good on Day 365 as they did on Day One.

Hey Jack

Yup there are obviously a lot of people who feel that expensive pins are worth it, but I think that's a fad. If you buy an old Martin completely stock, it's going to have celluloid (plastic) pins, and I doubt it's going to sound worse because of this.

I put buffalo horn pins in my D-18, and I don't hear a bit of difference. They look better than the plastic pins, but then again, when I'm playing guitar, I never think about how the guitar looks.

Try some new pins if you want, but don't expect a "tonal revelation".

It could be that it will effect the tone of your guitar, but then again maybe not. If your going to buy some, get them because you like the look of them and anything else will be a bonus. I just upgraded my el-00 to a bone saddle, bone nut and waverly tuners so I couldn't afford Colosi pins, but I got some tusq ones and to be honest they just look like plastic. If the pins are to big for your bridge you can always ream it out very slightly (and carefully).

I actually quite like the plastic ones Martin use as standard and from what I gather they age fairly rapidly.

I have a set of Buffalo Horn pins in my BK, Brass pins in my SJ200, and previously had Boxwood pins in my Hummingbird and Ebony pins in my Dove...

The Dove sounded worse, the Hummingbird sounded better, the SJ200 sounds more complex in the mids, and the BK sounds no different.

It all depends on the guitar I think, but experimenting is lots of fun :-)

Here are the main points to keep in mind:

1. You should change them' date=' because it will improve the tone.

2. You shouldn't bother changing them, because it will have no effect on the tone.

3. You should change them, because they won't affect the tone, but they will improve the appearance.

4. You should change them to fossilized ivory.

5. You should change them to bone.

6. You should change them to ebony.

7. You should change them to the better plastic ones made by Antique Acoustics.

Finally, but most importantly,

8. Get the replacements from Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com).

I think that pretty much covers it.[lol

-- Bob R

Just about covers it!!

This is a Gibson forum.

And if you know it's been discussed' date=' why wouldn't you just search for the previous thread(s)?

[/quote']

Because he wanted to start a new thread . Which is fine with most of us !

I am sure he also knew this was the Gibson Forum . Hopefully he'll stick around ! :-

Which to my knowledge is the most open about all guitars Gibson or not that I know of. [cool]

I have asked many questions about my other than Gibson guitars on this forum . :-k

Its the main reason I like it here. [cool]

PS (OT) DG' date=' how are you liking that EL00 of yours?[/quote']

I love it to bits. I had to make a few alterations to get it how I like it (new saddle and nut, waverly tuners, pick up, remove cheap pick guard) but it's totally my go to guitar. Of my three (Martin 000-28vs, J200 TV and the epi) the el00 gets over 50% of the action. It's certainly not the best sounding, but I think it rivals the other two for playability. I also think I was lucky in that it seems to have an extremely thin coat of lacquer which helps massively with the tone. It also has top quality rosewood on the bridge and board. Here's a few pics of it just after I added the tuners. Apologies for the terrible iphone pics btw...

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I am sure he also knew this was the Gibson Forum . Hopefully he'll stick around ! :-

Which to my knowledge is the most open about all guitars Gibson or not that I know of. :-$

I have asked many questions about my other than Gibson guitars on this forum . :-k

That's the spirit sub +1

Which to my knowledge is the most open about all guitars Gibson or not that I know of. :-$

I see your point. My bad.

So while we're all here, let me ask this, does Tonerite really work? What's better, bone saddle or tusq? Is Adi better than Sitka? What's the difference between PB and 80/20? And what's the best acoustic guitar for under $500?

does Tonerite really work?

It did absolutely nothing for my abs.

What's better' date=' bone saddle or tusq?[/quote']

Leather. Unless you have a very soft horse.

Is Adi better than Sitka?

Adi is a girl my mother would approve of' date=' but Sitka is a "fun date" (wink wink).[/color']

What's the difference between PB and 80/20?

One goes good with jelly and the other is a very stiff solder wire.

And what's the best acoustic guitar for under $500?

A J200 with a $4500 instant rebate.

Sorry bk. I keed.

I added $150+ pins to my now departed Martin D-18VS and was certain I heard a difference --- though at some point I put the FWI in a different Martin, put the plastic ones back in the D-18VS and liked it just fine...

My Dove has red dot bone pins cause they were sitting on the counter and I said "Throw these in for free" and the guy said yeah --- changed 'em more for looks than anything else, as the Dove sounded quite alive stock...

Archived