Gibson Brands Forums

ever sold a guitar on ebay?

S t e v e

how do i go about this?, i know how to sell it but what do i have to do regarding delivery? how can i find out postage costs in advance for all countrys and how do i pack it or does the courrior pick up the guitar and pack/box it for me?

anyone help me with this? [cool]

I have sold several on ebay, ones that have sat and I dont play in order to use the funds to BUY others [cool] but what you need to do is either go to your local music store for a shipping box or you can order them online too, we have places here in the States that will pack and ship the guitar too, a UPS store, they have guitar boxes there at the store. I usually charge at least $35 -$45 if I have a box or if you need to get a box you will need to take that into account.

Typically I have only shipped here in the States as shipping outside of the States is more expensive so I cant help you there.

a guitar shipping box will cost you around $20 at the store or online, but if you order online you will have to pay shipping on that box which is another $15 or so due to its size.

You are best to try to get one from your local music store,,

and our shippers such as UPS or Fedex wont just pick up the guitar unless its packed properly, you might want to consider adding shippers insurance as well, as Ive seen some nightmare stories occur

I've only sold one guitar through ebay. I got the box for free from a local guitar shop and used those foam plastic thingies for in the box around the case.

Once you know the exact dimensions and weight of the package, you can inquire with DHL as to the price of shipping. Do this before you start the auction! I didn't, and I ended up paying about 10 Euros of the shipping costs myself...

guys, can you remember the weight of the guitars you sold and the cost of shipping? if i can get a rough postage guide then i can put a rough postage cost on ebay without me going down to the couriors? even if the weight differs a bit i don't mint paying the extra...i'll be selling my ibanez jem 555 (vai) as i ain't played it for 6 months and its just sitting under the bed in the case, the cash i get for it will pay for the new bodykit for my car [blink]

guys' date=' can you remember the weight of the guitars you sold and the cost of shipping? [biggrin']

I dont remember the weight, I do remember it was roughly around $35-$45, alot of people I seen on ebay charge a flat rate, you might make a buck or two or you might lose a buck or two depending on how far you ship the item, but it works out in the end [biggrin]

Once Ebay have had you over with high fee's along with Paypal fee's (Your FORCED to offer PAYPAL now) and then you dodge ALL the stupid questions which people wouldn't have to ask if they read the description then your some of the way there...

I have sold a few guitars on ebay and I insist on COLLECTION ONLY and Cash on collection...

I had my R9 on there and if it had sold the fee's would have come to nearly £250..... JOKE

Then there are lots of issues with scams and Paypal...

I wont be doing it again....

Good luck! [biggrin]

Regards

Once Ebay have had you over with high fee's along with Paypal fee's (Your FORCED to offer PAYPAL now) and then you dodge ALL the stupid questions which people wouldn't have to ask if they read the description then your some of the way there...

I have sold a few guitars on ebay and I insist on COLLECTION ONLY and Cash on collection...

I had my R9 on there and if it had sold the fee's would have come to nearly £250..... JOKE

Then there are lots of issues with scams and Paypal...

I wont be doing it again....

Good luck! :-$

Regards

i was thinking about all that too' date=' i'll prob just take it down tin pan alley and ask one of the shops to sell it for me...there fee prob ain't as much as ebay and paypal [cool

Don't know about Jolly Old England but in the US, the United states postal service has a postage calculator on their website. You make selections and input dimensions and weight. Since it is a parcel and not a letter rates vary by distance. Maybe the English Postal Service has the same internet information. If it were me I'd plug in my postal code, then then a destination postal code for the east coast, then the west coast to get an idea of domestic postage. International? I'd shy away from that on your first foray. Too risky. If you get stiffed, you'll pay heck getting the money or guitar back.

guys' date=' can you remember the weight of the guitars you sold and the cost of shipping? if i can get a rough postage guide then i can put a rough postage cost on ebay without me going down to the couriors? even if the weight differs a bit i don't mint paying the extra...i'll be selling my ibanez jem 555 (vai) as i ain't played it for 6 months and its just sitting under the bed in the case, the cash i get for it will pay for the new bodykit for my car [biggrin']

body kit for your car?? Steve, will that increase the value of your car? No. You need to get your priorities straight. What would Mr. Via say? :-({|= <---That's what he would say.

body kit for your car?? Steve' date=' will that increase the value of your car? No. You need to get your priorities straight. What would Mr. Via say? [angry'] <---That's what he would say.

i do hear ya mojo but...i don't play the jem anymore! tbh i happen to be in a position where i have 5 quality guitars to choose from and the jem is always last in the pecking order (the GM sig being first) and the jem has been under the bed for 4-5 months untouched so it's a process of elimination :-({|=...the jem is going :- and also anything the jem can do my ibby rg770dx can do better [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

well i sold the jem on ebay! it was only on there for an hour and half! :-k, i'm sending it to the buyer tomorrow as i found an old box by the recycle bin and cut it to shape and it's all packed ready to go...

btw, the average weight of a strat style guitar incl hard case is 10kg :-k

Trouble is.... buyers expect a bargain everytime on ebay.... Ebay is just full of purchased items by people who ramp up the price and sell it on....

I went to sell my R9 on there..... oh the SFQ I got asked!!!!!

Archived