Gibson Brands Forums

OK, the gloves are off....Which is the Best (and worst) American and British beer?????

onewilyfool

Love the Belhaven Scottish Ale, and have been drinking Session Black from The Full Sail folks

up in Hood River, Oregon, The Widmer Drifter Pale Ale from Portland, Oregon finds it's way into

the mix as well.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale & Rogue Brutal Bitter.... Do like some Anchor Steam too! ... as for the generic "Big Three" brewers >>> American beer is liking making love in a canoe, ****ing close to water. But dare I say the most of population here just doesn't know any better.

Samuel Smith's India Pale Ale is a favorite.

+1 on the Bass ale. USA - has to be a tie between Dortmunder from Great Lakes Brewing Company and Hopslam from Bell's Brewery. Look 'em up' date=' find 'em if you can, you won't be disappointed.

[/quote']

1+ on the Great Lakes Brewing... a buddy took me to their pub and restaurant in Cleveland, and boy do they have some good beers! And some tasty sausage to go along. Fantastic.

I note that there is alot of love here for Sam Smith's. And rightly so.

It's brewed in Yorkshire but you do find it in the south too. It's a great pint.

I'm guessing it is exported in bottles. It's odd. We get beer imported from Europe, USA and beyond here in the UK, but I have never thought that your traditional English Ale would be exported overseas. No reason why it shouldn't, only it had never occurred to me before now.

Of course IPA (India Pale Ale) was originally brewed to be exported to India in the days when much of the world map was coloured pink and the England lead the cricket world.

The IPA from Sacramento's own Rubicon Brewery is really incredible.

That is a good one - I had a "Serious Madness" Black Ale there last week that was really something. We should meet there and have a beer sometime!

I note that there is alot of love here for Sam Smith's. And rightly so.

Were it not for Sam Smiths' date=' I probably would've never acquired a palate for quality beer.

I'd probably also weigh about 40 pounds less now. [biggrin

Collected no4 from cricket training last night on what was probably the warmest day of the year so far. The English summer may have arrived.

What to drink?

In honour of this Forum and all my friends, I chose a bottle of Bud....well 3 in fact.

A cold Bud on a warm evening, watching a spot of cricket. Marvellous!

This morning I have a headache!

I don't drink much beer. Don't care for most of what's available. Probably no more than a 2 or 3 liters a year total.

One exception was a period I spent in Germany where the Duesseldorf "Alt" variety was available from a number of small breweries and was quite good. But alas, that's 35 years ago.

Any "import" in the US will have a degree of degradation from being pasteurized if it weren't intended for consumption otherwise; and that changes things.

Most microbreweries in the US seem to have a decent dark beer, and with a good set of back ribs or whatever...

m

One NEVER drinks beer with the gloves off in Kent Wily

The rats might still be alive, swimiing for their lives and bite ya finger off.

Hence "Bishops finger"

AKA Nuns Delight!

Lord know why

Smirk

One NEVER drinks beer with the gloves off in Kent Wily

The rats might still be alive' date=' swimiing for their lives and bite ya finger off.

Hence "Bishops finger"

AKA Nuns Delight!

Lord know why

Smirk[/quote']

I would love to know the story behind that little British colloquialism........lol

Ah' date=' interesting! a guitar forum talking about beer.

Now! could you get a beer forum talking about guitars?[/quote']

Ah FP

You're right!

As Nicholas Parsons used to say " DEVIATION" (<<<<<< That'll get the yanks and younguns going!!)

But we do stay away from

Politics

Religion

and

Sex.

When we're talking on the forum I mean.

I've already posted on this, but find that I have more to say... sorry.

Really enjoying ambers lately. I previously mentioned Abita Amber, but need to add:

Shiner Bock- good ol' Texas brew

Dos Equis Amber- not U.S., but qualifies as "this side of the pond"... and is in the U.S. legally... not tryin' to start something, just sayin'...

As far as bad beers... I remember stuff from college like Red, White and Blue, Carling Black Label and Sterling Big Mouth... I don't know if there's really such a thing as a bad beer but, if there is, there's three...

SALUD!

Archived