Gibson Brands Forums

OK, the gloves are off....Which is the Best (and worst) American and British beer?????

onewilyfool

Now admittedly, we don't get a lot of British beer over here, and certainly not many of the obscure micro-breweries and small town brew that you can get in England, but of the ones I've tasted, I prefer:

Guiness Draft and Boddington's Pub Ale.

From American Breweries, I prefer:

Anchor Steam from San Francisco

a variety of beers from Gordon Biersch Brewery in Palo Alto, CA.

OWF, I shouldn't have to remind you that Guinness is IRISH! :-({|=

Are we including Irish beers in this? Cause if so, my favorite, hands-down, is Smithwicks. For British, probably Old Speckled Hen.

But the fact is, American micro-brews overtook the Eurobeers in taste and quality years ago. (ducks in case of flying steins and teacups)

Haven't had a drink since December of 03 but my weapon of choice was always Colt 45. Yeah I know it's a malt liquor but after a Pounder or half a scuba tank the whole bottom half of your face turns numb anyway.

High octane, quick merciless buzz.

I can't recall ever enjoying any of Fuller's beers' date=' and that goes for the whole line, porter to IPA. Something about their brewery just doesn't sit right with me. But then that's all the more for you to enjoy, nodehopper.

[/quote']

OWF' date=' I shouldn't have to remind you that Guinness is IRISH! :-k

Are we including Irish beers in this? Cause if so, my favorite, hands-down, is Smithwicks. For British, probably Old Speckled Hen.

But the fact is, American micro-brews overtook the Eurobeers in taste and quality years ago. (ducks in case of flying steins and teacups)[/quote']

That is too funny ...we disagree on Fullers Beers, but Smithwicks is probably my runner up for favorite beer.

BK we can agree to disagree and toast on it with a Smithwicks .... [biggrin]

Best for me is Shalford Brewery's Stoneleigh, brewed about 2 miles from me and served in my local. London Pride is right up there too and Youngs.

Worst British beer is Fosters. (I know but only thing Australian about Fosters is the accent in the advert!)

I can't speak for American beers although I had by far the worst hangover in my life in Kewanee, Illinois about 20 years ago after drinking gallons of Bud and Coors, topped off with ginger beer schnapps!

That is too funny ...we disagree on Fullers Beers' date=' but Smithwicks is probably my runner up for favorite beer.

BK we can agree to disagree and toast on it with a Smithwicks .... :-

[/quote']

I'm sure next time we meet in a pub, we'll have no trouble finding something tasty to agree upon!

OWF' date=' I shouldn't have to remind you that Guinness is IRISH! :-

But the fact is, American micro-brews overtook the Eurobeers in taste and quality years ago. (ducks in case of flying steins and teacups)[/quote']

BK....when I said British, I meant British Isles....hopefully I offended neither the British or the Irish.....which are both sides of my family tree....

There is really no contest here as American and UK beers are very different. Uk bitter is heavy and drunk at room temperature or warm as you would say state side. Uk bitter is an aquired taste handed down from father to son, it takes years to be able to drink and appreciate it. It even improves your spelling.

Some of my Essex cousins are waxing lyrically about their beers but here in deepest South West Hertfordshire we drink Abbot, great beer, nearer to Heathrow too..

The IPA from Sacramento's own Rubicon Brewery is really incredible.

grampa and pschaafs

If you are ever up in Auburn .....The Auburn Alehouse has a couple very fine IPAs along with an outstanding Brown and Stout.

They don't bottle so you would have to make the trek up to Auburn. They also have one of the best burgers around!

http://auburnalehouse.com/

I can not recommend this place enough! mighty fine....mighty fine!!

Wow I used to fly into London 3x a month for several months back in the mid 90's and at every layover we went to this pub in Brighton where the crew Hotel was called (I think) The Fount&Firkin(sp?) can't remember all I know is it was stumbling distance to the Hotel ....hahaha...any way they had this beer called something Cream Ale or somesuch...

That by far is my favorite English beer and its not because I cant remember the name its cause it was so Good you didn't care what it was called .. after several months you didn't need to know the name . I used to just point at the 'Tap' and we were off to the races....I miss that..

Here its Sam Adams anything I like all their brews...so far ........

I do miss the London brews though like someone said they are different.

The worst Coors Lite..... bottled water is cheaper.

[biggrin]

Oh, what the heck. Pigs Ear, Woodstock Brewery, Vt. goes down smooth plus my bloodhound likes to chew the box. But really its an apples and oranges question. Best brew takes in porters, stouts, red ales, pales , IPLs, lagers, pilsners, wheats...

British beer eh, well living in Sussex I'd have to say Harvey's hands down, and if your about on the 5th, a pint of Bonfire Boy will knock your socks off. We don't get any american beers here, mainly because we import so many from europe. Plenty of US larger but were talking beer right?

If were talking continental beer, then I think Europe has plenty of wonderful blond and brown ale's. Some of the better ones include Lefe, Hoegarden Grand Cru, oh and coopers is my fave non European micro brewery.

For British beers I prefer Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale or Taddy Porter

Too many good American beers to name so I will throw out some breweries that I like:

Surly, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Avery, Great Divide, Russian River...this could go on forever, I'm a bit of a beer dork.

I don't drink much beer, but

Best American: Michelob Amber Bach (fka Michelob Dark) Just enough bite, but not a long lingering after taste. [lol]

Worst English: Guiness. Sorry folks but it tastes, to me, like a beer float. >plegh<[lol]

Worst American: Miller anything. Gives me a headache. [lol]

Archived