Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone ever seen this SG?

yoda

Let me start off by saying I do not have pictures.

I went out last night to watch live music and the guitar player had an SG, but it was weird.

61' style pic guard, and headstock.

rectangular inlays

neck binding

4 control knobs

the switch was above the knobs for the neck pickup with no rhythm/treble ring

here is the weird part the jack was on the side (les paul/telecaster style)

Hmmm. I'm not 100%, but I think he had an old Les Paul Standard. Check this link:

Les Paul Standard

It's pretty close to what you described. I'm not sure, maybe he took off the pickup selector ring? A friend of mine has one that used to be his grandfather's, I set it up for him a couple months back. It was one of the best playing guitars I've ever seen.

Nevermind what I posted. I missed the part about the jack. Sorry. That's weird. Did he maybe mod a regular SG? I've never seen a SG with a jack like your description.

Sounds similar to an SG Standard from between 1988-1990. Those had the jack in the side, but had trapezoid inlay instead of block inlay. Wonder if the guitar you saw was an SG Standard which had a neck or fingerboard replaced?

It looked exactly like those pics in the other thread with the exception of the block inlays. it had same headstock shape, switch, and plug locals and no "mini pickguard" between the fretboard like in the other pictures.

Maybe it was a limited run or something.

Yoda, look familiar ? This particular one is 1980. The side mounted jack came in '79 and lasted for around 10 years. The trapezoid inlays came back around 1985. Was also available in some tasty sunbursts.

SGstandard1980.jpg

SGstandard1983.jpg

Personally, I would hate to have the switch mounted right there. It would block my hand from rolling both volume knobs up or down. Also I'm just used to the classic control layout.

Some of those are pretty cool though. You can get one for pretty cheap because they're not very desirable from a collector's standpoint.

Also I know it doesn't really affect playability or tone but the body bothers me. No bevels whatsoever.

Let me start off by saying I do not have pictures.

I went out last night to watch live music and the guitar player had an SG' date=' but it was weird.

61' style pic guard, and headstock.

rectangular inlays

neck binding

4 control knobs

the switch was above the knobs for the neck pickup with no rhythm/treble ring

here is the weird part the jack was on the side (les paul/telecaster style)[/quote']

pretty cool you would notice that[cool]

Archived