Gibson Brands Forums

Any Nashville Updates?

deepblue

Don't know if you've seen this, or not?

Gibson To Run Out Of Guitars?

Monday May 17, 2010

Gibson Guitar Corp., one of the two big U.S. stringed-instrument companies (with Fender Musical Instruments Corp.), is in the awkward position of running out of guitars. The company's Nashville, Tennessee manufacturing facility was damaged by the floods that befell the city over the first weekend of May, and Gibson has been forced to cease production on such popular models as the Les Paul, Flying V, and Explorer guitars that are made in Nashville.

As reported by The Tennessean newspaper, Gibson's Nashville plant cranked out 2,500 instruments daily. Due to the flood damage, however, production won't be resumed until July at the earliest, and the company expects no new shipments out of the factory for at least 90 days, which equates to millions of dollars in lost sales. Thankfully, the Gibson custom shop in Nashville escaped any flood-related damage, as did the Epiphone guitar manufacturing facility, which produces lower-priced but high-quality instruments. Gibson also has manufacturing plants in Memphis, Tennessee and in Montana, as well as in China.

For Les Paul fans, though, the pickin's are going to be lean for a few months, at the minimum. Big box instrument retailer Guitar Center expects to run out of Gibson instruments in its 214 stores within weeks, and some smaller retailers are already experiencing shortages. The Les Paul is a beautiful instrument, and the various models are favored by such blues and blues-rock guitarists like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, and Warren Haynes, among others. Gibson also currently markets signature models for such fretburners as Gary Moore and Joe Bonamassa.

Gibson Les Paul Standard photo courtesy Gibson Guitar Corp.

CB

I am out of town on holiday but when I come back home I am going to drive by Massman Drive and see what's up at Gibson. The Epiphone building is really close to the street and maybe the Custom Shop as well, perhaps that is why they escaped severe flooding.

The city is really coming together to help each other out. I am planning to do some more volunteer work when I am back and see what we can donate.

FEMA has setup help centers right after the flood so they are doing a good job all and all.

There is still one guy missing in Pegram, TN just west of Nashville where the Harpeth River grew to an unimaginable size, I plan to volunteer on his search again, kind of dangerous with rusty nails and snakes out there but the guy needs a proper resting place. I really hope he is found.

I am out of town on holiday but when I come back home I am going to drive by Massman Drive and see what's up at Gibson. The Epiphone building is really close to the street and maybe the Custom Shop as well' date=' perhaps that is why they escaped severe flooding.

The city is really coming together to help each other out. I am planning to do some more volunteer work when I am back and see what we can donate.

FEMA has setup help centers right after the flood so they are doing a good job all and all.

There is still one guy missing in Pegram, TN just west of Nashville where the Harpeth River grew to an unimaginable size, I plan to volunteer on his search again, kind of dangerous with rusty nails and snakes out there but the guy needs a proper resting place. I really hope he is found.[/quote']

Good on you Stiffhand!! Nice to see that community spirit is still alive...

Regards

I am out of town on holiday but when I come back home I am going to drive by Massman Drive and see what's up at Gibson. The Epiphone building is really close to the street and maybe the Custom Shop as well' date=' perhaps that is why they escaped severe flooding.

There is still one guy missing in Pegram, TN just west of Nashville where the Harpeth River grew to an unimaginable size, I plan to volunteer on his search again, kind of dangerous with rusty nails and snakes out there but the guy needs a proper resting place. I really hope he is found.[/quote']

Good on you mate.

On this subject, for those of you who have not seen this part of the effect on the Nashville flood.

Soundcheck the company that provides storage to artists and working musicians is located close to the Cumberland River here in Nashville. Yea, you know where this is going.

Read the blog on the Soundcheck website, bottom posts are oldest.

Also the Musicians Hall of Fame got a lot of damaged instruments, they are close to Gruhn but in a much lower laying area.

http://www.soundchecknashville.com/

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?&Avis=DN&Dato=20100510&Kategori=TUNEIN&Lopenr=5100814&Ref=PH

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126776761

Guest rogerb

Thank you for asking. Things are improving now that the flood waters have receded. It will take some time to get back up and operating but we are in forward motion and moving that direction

Thank you for asking. Things are improving now that the flood waters have receded. It will take some time to get back up and operating but we are in forward motion and moving that direction

How much actual wood/materials damage, along with your machinery, did you lose?

I.E., will you have to replace most or all, of the wood, to make the guitars? How much

if any, is salvageable, and...do you see any possible quota problems, down the line with

certain models or products, after manufacturing begins?

Just curious...

CB

It's too bad they couldn't take the wood that was going to be used for guitars and make limited run collectibles out of them i.e wall clocks, or cutouts of classic guitars, or do custom paint jobs etc, and auction them off for flood relief funds, I'm sure people who love their guitars would also love to have something like that to commemorate them helping the people of Nashville rebuild.

Plus a concert. Also.

Archived