Gibson Brands Forums

Bye Bye Penny

deepblue

They are talking up here in Canada about getting rid of the penny.

Im all for it...they take up too much space in my change jar.

Opinions?

They're more of an annoyance than what they're worth.

I best bite my tongue' date=' this could become very political ...haha[/quote']

Some of the members can take a discussion on bellybutton lint and turn it political. So when they see this thread, it's going south before supper tonight.

[biggrin] I didn't know the Canadian Govt. still allowed it's people to have money. Isn't your tax rate like 99.999999%? [biggrin]

Yes, we are taxed alot, but we also have one of the best health care systems in the world.

We dont need to mortgage our homes in order to see a doctor or receive treatment.

Yes' date=' we are taxed alot, but we also have one of the best health care systems in the world.

We dont need to mortgage our homes in order to see a doctor or receive treatment.[/quote']

I happen to not prefer any government control of my healthcare. I've never had to mortgage anything to get treatment or wait on a list for screenings or tests. I pay for my own health insurance in addition to my health benefits from my employer.

[biggrin] Lets not take a joke and turn it into a political snowball fight.

Just another way to raise prices. Everything will have to be rounded off. You don't think they are going to round down do ya...?

Rounding up is what they've done here when we got rid of the 0.05SEK and 0.010SEK coins. They are dumping the 0.50SEK coin soon. Personally I'm not that bothered though. The Swedish Krona is so damned low, even the 1SEK coins are pretty much useless and all the change just fills up my pockets.

As I understand it, the countries that introduced the Euro suffered some pretty major price raises as well when they had to round off the old prices to something nice and even in euros.

Yes' date=' we are taxed alot, but we also have one of the best health care systems in the world.

We dont need to mortgage our homes in order to see a doctor or receive treatment.[/quote']

I'd hate to correct you DeepBlue. We do have a good health care system, I totally agree with you on that one. However our system is over working the people in health care to the brink of collapse, many are off due to mental illness because they are way over worked... Goverment is only giving a 1.5% operating increase to health care this fiscal year. Things are going to get even tougher on the system.

London ,Ontario...60 nurses laid off because they had one CEO for two hospitals. Dude retired and now they have to hire another two to fill one guys place. Have to get the money some how so they laid off a crap load of nurses.

Anyways off topic again lol

Doubt they will get rid of the penny but if they do it'll screw up everything. Americans won't be happy either because they still do have a penny. When they come here to visit, oh man they'll be pissed because they have to pay even more for stuff...Not good for our economy.

I'd hate to correct you DeepBlue. We do have a good health care system' date=' I totally agree with you on that one. However our system is over working the people in health care to the brink of collapse, many are off due to mental illness because they are way over worked... Goverment is only giving a 1.5% operating increase to health care this fiscal year. Things are going to get even tougher on the system.

London ,Ontario...60 nurses laid off because they had one CEO for two hospitals. Dude retired and now they have to hire another two to fill one guys place. Have to get the money some how so they laid off a crap load of nurses.

Anyways off topic again lol

Doubt they will get rid of the penny but if they do it'll screw up everything. Americans won't be happy either because they still do have a penny. When they come here to visit, oh man they'll be pissed because they have to pay even more for stuff...Not good for our economy. [/quote']

I agree with you. Our health care system is abused big time....since its free, you have people running to

the doctor or to the emergency ward for every little thing.

I agree with you. Our health care system is abused big time....since its free' date=' you have people running to

the doctor or to the emergency ward for every little thing.[/quote']

you hit the nail right on the head there DP.....crap I have a hang nail..off to emerge I go...maybe I'll spend my $1.52 on the way there hehe

As the cost of living rises and inflation and all that jazz comes around it's natural to drop the lower amounts of coinage. That's why we don't have tuppence, or ha-pennies anymore.

First off, getting rid of the penny makes those people ahead of you in line at the coffee shop who INSIST on paying in exact change a little quicker, instead of pouring out the contents of their purse/sock/breadbag they're carrying their coinage in.

There has got to be a layer of hell reserved for these people.

Also, businesses don't need excuses to round off amounts at the cash, they do that anyway.

Lets use the Tim's equaion for a second for an average coffee drinker.

1.52(coffee) X 3 (coffee per day) X5 (weekdays) X 48 (work weeks not including holidays) = $1094.40

1.55(coffee) X 3 (coffee per day) X5 (weekdays) X 48 (work weeks not including holidays) = $1116.00

Over one year the difference is $21.60

If they DON'T get rid of the penny and you save the difference, every year, in 138.8 years you could buy a new Les Paul!

Or just make your damn coffee at home and save a grand a year.

Just my five cents though.

Or just make your damn coffee at home and save a grand a year

lol!.....Tim Hortons coffee tastes like burnt cardboard. I dont know why its so popular here

in Canada. Where I live right now, theres 6 within walking distance from me.

Canadians enjoy their mediocrity.

I make mine at home and enjoy it!

Archived