Gibson Brands Forums

Do you alternate...?

DeVeeWee

Well, at this very moment I'm listening to Wes Montgomery "Mr.Walker" from the 'Incredible jazz guitar' record

WesMontgomery.jpg

and just before that I was into QOTSA, "Do it again" from the 'Songs for the deaf' record'...

QOTSA-1.jpg

Many of my friends see this as 'very weird' and it makes them more than [biggrin] ...am I really the only one with this strange habit?

It's good to alternte

But I've been only listening to mine and my bass players shhhstuff as of late[biggrin]

duane' date=' is that because all your other music has been expired by the expiration date commission? [biggrin

I went through a whole summer listening to nothing but Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, and Kind Of Blue. I get into Deftones moods, 50s Chess Blues moods. I love the Hungarian Rhapsody, Rhapsody In Blue, and the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album. A little bluegrass. All the while being a huge Zeppelin fan

duane' date=' is that because all your other music has been expired by the expiration date commission? [biggrin] [/quote']

Well I do try to mix it up...... But even I get bored with my playing every now and then[blush] .... I think I'll start playing/learning flamenco stuff... That Charro vid was pretty inspiring[cool]

I live just outside a major city (St. Louis, Missouri) so I can get all the radio stations from there and the surrounding area, including a couple Public Radio stations (NPR, PRI), and a couple college campus stations. There is a great variety of "scheduled" programming to choose from.

Generally speaking M-F it's jazz radio from the station at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, and then from 9-11 p.m. they change to "Ambient Music". The ambient music program is great for the weeknight wind-down.

Thursday and Friday afternoons it's Blues form a listener funded public radio station. Sunday morning it's Classic Rock on commercial radio until noon (when they go back to hard rock), then I switch over to another public radio station for some good ole time bluegrass thoughout the afternoon. On Sunday evenings it a syndicated classic rock show called "The Deep End" on another rock station.

My wife understands but my friends and neighbors think I'm a little "touched", considering that whatever I'm listening to may be blasting outside from the outdoor patio, or porch speakers.

Don't even get me started about my record (yes vinyl) or CD collection. Last weekend my wife and I spent an evening sitting on the patio spinning records, and went from Wings to Mahavishnu Orchestra to New Riders Of The Purple Sage to Harry Chapin....

Maybe medication would help!

...Deftones moods' date=' 50s Chess Blues moods. I love the Hungarian Rhapsody, Rhapsody In Blue, and the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas album. A little bluegrass. All the while being a huge Zeppelin fan[/quote']

/chuckle this mix sounds like me! I have a bit of everything... country, hip-hop, classical, blues, bluegrass, metal, pop... I even have some disco somewhere....

I live just outside a major city (St. Louis' date=' Missouri) so I can get all the radio stations from there and the surrounding area, including a couple Public Radio stations (NPR, PRI), and a couple college campus stations. There is a great variety of "scheduled" programming to choose from.

Generally speaking M-F it's jazz radio from the station at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, and then from 9-11 p.m. they change to "Ambient Music". The ambient music program is great for the weeknight wind-down.

Thursday and Friday afternoons it's Blues form a listener funded public radio station. Sunday morning it's Classic Rock on commercial radio until noon (when they go back to hard rock), then I switch over to another public radio station for some good ole time bluegrass thoughout the afternoon. On Sunday evenings it a syndicated classic rock show called "The Deep End" on another rock station.

My wife understands but my friends and neighbors think I'm a little "touched", considering that whatever I'm listening to may be blasting outside from the outdoor patio, or porch speakers.

Don't even get me started about my record (yes vinyl) or CD collection. Last weekend my wife and I spent an evening sitting on the patio spinning records, and went from Wings to Mahavishnu Orchestra to New Riders Of The Purple Sage to Harry Chapin....

Maybe medication would help![/quote']

KDHX 88.1 is all I listen to if I happen to be listening to the radio.

Bob...

It's my observation from taking a lotta pix in local schools that puns just don't catch the way they used to among the age group of, let's say 12 through 30...

It's not taught, for one thing.

And who knows, mebbe they think a homonym is a politically incorrect term for someone who's gay - and that it's against all western European ethics to synonym.

<chortle>

m

Bob...

And who knows' date=' mebbe they think a homonym is a politically incorrect term for someone who's gay - and that it's against all western European ethics to synonym.

<chortle>

m

[/quote']

Wait..... you mean a hononym ISN'T a gay guy with a lisp?

Dang...... the things you learn on here!!!

Ah.... yupper...

Seriously, I think schools nowadays are teaching more "process" than strange things like vocabulary. Given that the government and media and various political advocacy groups have managed to change the language so much, perhaps that's not all bad.

Meanwhile... when I was in high school the big deal was bilingual puns. On occasion one might have been trilingual. Or perhaps too often, try-lingual. I dunno...

EDIT: Okay, back to the music thing.

I've always tended toward a wide range of listening, depending on mood, who I'm hanging with and whether I'd doing some outside playing or not. I tend to mostly listen to guitar-oriented stuff except for swing and "classical."

Usually the only times I've obsessed with a specific type of music or with some specific set of tunes, it's been because I was gigging and hadda learn the stuff quickly.

m

My favorate radio station plays all kinda stuff. They have blocks of time devoted to jazz, blues, beach, gospel, big band, and old rock, and when they're not doing those, they have what they call the "eclectic blend" that features contemporary music and local artists. WSGE 91.7 Dallas, NC radio, part of Gaston College.

Gotta go somewhere else for classical or head banging.

Archived