Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most playable gibson acoustic

puissant

Hey guys,

i was wondering if any of you could help me with some suggestions on the most playable gibson acoustic for fingerpicking. i currently own a J-45 custom. and really its either that my fingers are a bit slow or messy or i prefer just playing chords in them. i mean, i dont want to diss it because its so beautiful to play, but i find it not the easiest, i hope you get what i mean.

I heard the hummingbird or the dove is good for more intricate playing styles, but yet again, i just read that up from wikipedia and i need some nice reviews from you experienced people.

i'm getting a new gibson acoustic once i save enough, but can you help me with what i should get?

I'll go for L00/Blues King too.

I own one and I love it...very playable indeed.

I've owned a Dove and a couple of H-Birds in the past, and they are great, great instruments, but not necessarily the optimum choice for "intricate" playing styles.

The L00 can't be beaten for articulation, note separation, sweet and dry sound with just the right amount of overtones, and great volume/projection too.

J45s are a terrific all-rounder, but if you want something to really sing when you get intricate, strap on an L00!

Man I'm really diggin' my new CJ165! It's a combination of the short scale and a most excellent neck set that make this little jumbo gem a stellar player. And of the two, it is the neck set that makes all the difference in a guitar's playability. A good neck set is a feature any guitar can have, be it a long scale big body or a short scale 00 style instrument.

So, in answer to the question, the most playable Gibson is one with a great neck set and a proper setup. Discounting scale length, which particular model it happens to be matters not as far as playability. Granted, body shape/size/woods may indeed make a difference when it comes to style of play/tone. In my feeble mind, playability is a factor aside from style of play.

Well,, what do you find to be the problem? Is it the action- too high? The neck - too large?

It's very possible that your guitar was never set up for you--did you just buy it and start playing?

I've got to agree with Eddie......Certainly there are guitars that will likely work best for a certain physique, arm length, etc. And the auditorium size guitars really are comfortable to hold. However, it still boils-down to our own personal enjoyment, choice, necessity. A super jumbo like the J150 and J200 may be a little uncomfortable for someone with shorter arms. Yet, for me it's great. If the set-up is to my liking and I bond with the instrument, then I'll play it again and again. There are dreads that I don't like and there are ones where the setup and neck are so sweet that I can't put them down....Anyway, good thread.

Ah! here we go again, always Blues King and CJ165..

I have tried and liked both but not on the same day in the same place so as to make a proper comparison.

I would guess they are very similar, any member own both bychance?

What is the most playable gibson acoustic? ... for fingerpicking...

Playability - Given a comfortable neck and good setup, I would say it comes down to nut width and scale length. For me, scale length isn't a concern. The nut width is more important for me and I like a little extra room between the strings. While I don't have any problems going from 1 11/16 (1.6875) to 2 inches, my sweet spot is 1.725. Wouldn't ya know that's just what my SJ-200 has at the nut.

So, my advice is to figure out what your most comfortable nut width is and use that in your search criteria.

. While I don't have any problems going from 1 11/16 (1.6875) to 2 inches' date=' my sweet spot is 1.725. Wouldn't ya know that's just what my SJ-200 has at the nut.

[/quote']

I was gonna ask which Gibsons have a 1 3/4 nut width as my Larrivee has the same spacing and I LOVE that width, so much more comfortable for me then the Martin which is 1 11/16

Archived