Gibson Brands Forums

****PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY MY GUITAR PLEASE****

LDallo

Hi All,

PLEASE COULD ANYONE HELP IDENTIFY THIS GUITAR BELOW PLEASE!!!

My father in law recently bought a guitar off eBay "of all places" and when he left with his new guitar a gentleman whom was buying an amp off the eBay seller at the same time asked if he could have a look at the guitar. After having a quick look he said that we need to keep hold of it as there are not many left today in the UK.

Below is a few pictures of a recent guitar that my father in law has bought and It looks similar to the Gibson 355 in cherry but we cannot actually give a true identity to this guitar.

SO I'M ASKING ALL THAT READ THIS FOR ANY FURTHER INFORMATION IF POSSIBLE ON THE PHOTOGRAPHED GUITAR BELOW WOULD BE OF MUCH HELP!

My father has been pulling his hair out trying to ffind the actual identity of this guitar (not that he has much left now)

Thank you all for your time!

Much Appreciated

Luke.

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Thank you all for your replies even some have been less constructive than others!

I understood that this was not a Gibson when I first seen it, though the "PMC" and symbol on the headstock seems so far to me as nothing more than a red herring!! [cool]

I didnt even realise that PMC was a brand as some people had suggested.... so from reading above comments I have been on the 2 websites provided by ChanMan and came trumps up! :-k

Craigh posted "It's a Paul McCartney guitar." that made me chuckle as I would have thought it would be a left handed guitar..... [confused]

I realise yes this is a Gibson forum but you cant blame me for trying get some sort of idea or knowledge on my father-in-laws behalf. I thought if there was any forum I would get an answer from fellow Gibson guitarists! [biggrin]

Yoda I hope that was not aimed at me watso ever!!! Troll how fcukin dare!

FINALLY PLEASE COULD I ASK ANYONE WHO HAS VIEWED MY PHOTOS FOR ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK TO HELP SOLVE THE IDENTITY FOR THIS GUITAR!

Thank You

Luke

Welcome to the forum Luke. I think the reason we were wise cracking is because nobody really has an answer for you.

I did a Google search too, and came up empty handed. I did come across a PMC company that makes speakers, perhaps they took a stab at selling guitars at some point in there history.

Back in the 70s a lot of companies were making copies of Gibson products, especially the Les Paul. This all ended when Gibson started suing them for this. Perhaps this is one of those guitars and the company has since went belly up.

Luke, this is a forum, not The Encyclopedia Britannica, (do they even exist these days?). You will find GREAT and KNOWLEDGIBLE people on here, and someone might be able to tell you something you don't know. You have to learn to toughen up and not let the sarcastic and humorous, (or attempts thereof), to get to you. Everyone here is friendly, (especially Yoda), so you shouldn't take it personally.

Just roll with the punches, and you might just find out something.

I thought the best answer was from GIANTRobOT:

Its a PMC

The website didn't help much, but that body shape reminds me quite a bit of a Samick-made instrument.

I lifted this from another forum:

8701re2ao1.jpg

Samick's offerings are slightly more exaggerated than the typical Asian ES-335. Compare an older Korean Epiphone to the Samick. (Chinese Epiphones are much closer to a 60s ES-335)

No offense intended Luke. That's just the way we are here. If no one is forthcoming with an answer, humorous banter helps mask the pregnant pause. That and it keeps your post bumped up to the top once in a while.

Comments about being 'non Gibson' are made in jest. Someone just forgot to notice you are a new comer.

In case you missed the 'new comer' pamphlet at the door, we generally leave our duck guns in the truck before we come in here. That... and you are responsible for keepin' and eye on your own women.

Those of us who came stag keep their eye on Karen (aka Gilliangirl).

Welcome!

Archived