Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like that color! msp_thumbup.gif

Hey Kelv, I really got it more for the color, and a few other features on it, other than it being an Adam Clayton Signature Jazz. I'm not a fan of U2. It's some what of an Am. Std. with a select Alder body, an inlay Rosewood board, and loli-pop style tuners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

what year is the RD Artist?

The RD bass is a '78...I bought it used in 1997 for $350..it was originally fireburst and kinda beat-up so I non-professionally refinished it with white epoxy enamel and put the Scotchbrite stars on it. It was my primary bass for playing out live - a little heavy but built like a tank & very visible (plus I didn't want to expose the LPB3 to the rigors of playing clubs). All of the Moog electronics still function properly...Also have an RD Custom guitar in natural... I think the RD's are very under-rated...

Well, been a while since I last posted. The IV is sold. The Ripper is still a WIP, but it's looking like this now:

Ripper-11_zps90ea0159.jpg

New arrivals:

2014 EB

02_all_noflash.jpg

NR Thunderbird (changed hardware from black to chrome)

DSC_0043.JPG

Midtown Standard (neck pickup replaced with a DiMarzio Model One - series/parallel push-push volume pot)

01_modelone.jpg

Well, been a while since I last posted. The IV is sold. The Ripper is still a WIP, but it's looking like this now:

Ripper-11_zps90ea0159.jpg

Ahhhh so YOU'RE the one that's building that Ripper. I just posted a picture of this project on my Ripper G3 Grabber facebook page a few weeks ago. It was well received there. [thumbup]

Classy looking project.

My link to the Grabber Ripper G3 facebook page

The RD bass is a '78...I bought it used in 1997 for $350..it was originally fireburst and kinda beat-up so I non-professionally refinished it with white epoxy enamel and put the Scotchbrite stars on it. It was my primary bass for playing out live - a little heavy but built like a tank & very visible (plus I didn't want to expose the LPB3 to the rigors of playing clubs). All of the Moog electronics still function properly...Also have an RD Custom guitar in natural... I think the RD's are very under-rated...

I certainly agree that the RD is under rated, mine is an 81 that I got new in 82 it also has the moog electronics, it used to be my main player until about 10 years ago I don't want it to get damaged, so my mim Jazz bass is my main player now.

I certainly agree that the RD is under rated, mine is an 81 that I got new in 82 it also has the moog electronics, it used to be my main player until about 10 years ago I don't want it to get damaged, so my mim Jazz bass is my main player now.

I use my '01 LP- Bal-3 constantly; I've had it for about 10 years, and so far nothing terrible has happened to it. Lately, I've been playing the '72 EB3L a lot too. Even with 5 other very good basses (which do go to rehearsals), I use those 2 for gigs because they're the best sounding & playing basses I have. I am pretty careful with them though; I don't take them out of the cases until everything is set up on stage, and they go back in before tear-down. Both of these would be hard to replace, but I just can't leave them behind. They were meant to be played and enjoyed; barring theft or a fire, just about anything that happens to them can be fixed. After all, they are tools; if you were a carpenter, you wouldn't leave your favorite hammer at home - would you?

Take that '81 out RD, and let her sing again! msp_biggrin.gif

I'm +1 with Kelvinator. I hear this kind of thing a lot and it truly makes me wonder what kind of gigs folks do and what they let their instruments be exposed to. Unless you get those Blues Brothers gigs with the chicken wire curtain out front, I'm kinda baffled.

I treat all my instruments well, and certainly don't look for opportunities where they'd be needlessly exposed to abuse. Having said that, occasional scratches and/or doinks are part of the reality of use. I mean, people pay real money to have instruments relic'd!!! If I put those marks into it, I consider it my contribution to "character". Honest play wear and character will not devalue an instrument as much as a refin.

Like Kelvinator said, your instruments are meant to be played. I gig my '66 Jazz regularly because it's a truly amazing instrument that I'm lucky enough to own. I certainly don't need it sounding and playing great in my room - I need it kicking *** on stage. The same goes for all my basses.

My gigs - Nobody unknown gets to wander around the stage (someone from the band is always nearby), and I trust all my bandmates to exercise the same care I do around their gear. Exercise a modicum of care and your bass(es) will remain in great shape for many many years. The last thing you want to do though is relegate your favorite players to the back of the closet. That's just a waste of something you truly enjoy.

Ahhhh so YOU'RE the one that's building that Ripper. I just posted a picture of this project on my Ripper G3 Grabber facebook page a few weeks ago. It was well received there. [thumbup]

Classy looking project.

My link to the Grabber Ripper G3 facebook page

Thanks man, appreciate the kind comments. I've got my electronics just about sorted out, got a Curtis Novak choke coil and Seymour Duncan Ripper pickups, hold up is the last stages of the refinishing and a refret.

wired_up.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived