Gibson Brands Forums

Nylon ?

Murph

Not exclusive, just part of my stable. As eds11 said, great for fingerstyle. Actually I've got two: An inexpensive Yamaha G-55A from the 70s with a bit smaller than usual body size, cedar top, some kind of laminate sides (maybe maple), and traditional neck specs (2 inch nut), that has a very mellow sound. I also have a Taylor NS74-CE with western Red cedar top, rosewood b/s and a 'hybrid' neck of dimensions more like a steel string acoustic - it sounds great and with the neck dimensions, it plays more like a steel string but has a bit more room (1 7/8 inch nut).

jt - Oh yes, what a beautiful backside. [cool]

I've got a '97 La Patrie Collection, a '58 Gibson C-6 Richard Pick model, a 60s Vietnamese monster with way too much inlay, and a $10 trasher made by Giannini called a Seresta. The La Patrie might be the best in the traditional sense but the Gibson begs to be played.... imagine comparing a 2010 J200 to a 50 year old J45. The Vietnamese one is more for decoration than substance. The $10 Seresta is just lovable; the ultimate beach box.

C-6:

c6h.jpg

La Patrie:

col1.jpg

Vietnamese:

vietnameseclassical1.jpg

Seresta:

seresta1.jpg

I've got a newer workingman's Alvarez. Cedar top, cutaway, built-in piezo, preamp, EQ, tuner, etc. Not a great classical by any means, but fits the bill very nicely for the latin side of jazz (samba, bossa, and such).

I have this one for those mellow moments ..it's small bodied so it doesn't have a big voice, it also has a thin neck

profile so the playability is more like a steel string.. it wasn't a big expense and as L5Larry said it also fit the bill nicely!

iba79front.jpg

iba79rear.jpg

I started off using strictly a nylon "classical" 12-fret to the body guitar. Did that mostly (not counting a 12-string and occasional "borrow" of a steel string) for three years before I got into a rock band in college and started playing guitar swap games.

Right now I still have my mid 1970s Ovation Country Artist. It was the first EA nylon I was aware of and had the advantage of 14 frets to the body. I wish it had a bit more sustain, but...

m

Karen...

What in the world do you mean, "Pantyhose?"

<chortle>

Seriously, back in the olden days a lotta folkies played on nylon; then there was Flamenco as well... and a bit of Bach to get onto... and of course Charlie Byrd and jazz....

m

I kinda figured that but... thought also perhaps there might be some additional metaphor involved.

<grin>

Ah, well...

And.... no, ain't goin' there. <chortle> I long ago came to the observation that what girls who wear them figure and what guys who look at the girls figure (how'z zat for a pun?) are two different things.

Seriously, after a discussion with a fireman I never again traveled wearing anything but natural fibers. So... I s'pose silk isn't all that easy to find nowadays for more feminine apparel applications.

But nylon guitar strings? I'm told they beat the heck out of natural fibers there...

m

I've got one guitar that was made in Germany sometime 1850-1875. I'd like to buy a set of real gut strings just to be authentic. They're out there, maybe $25 a set. It just hasn't been a priority to cough up the cash. It would be neat though. It currently has modern day nylon but with real gut it would give the tone that Franz would have gotten 150 years ago...

og1.jpg

I started with a classical and as a result I had a hard time finding a steel string that didn't feel way too skinny until I found my Gibson F-25 which has a neck exactly like a classical, great for finger style, as is a classical.

Guest rogerb

Classical guitars are great to have in your arsenal of instruments. Beautiful tone!!! I heard many years ago that you shouldn't write songs on a classical guitar because you'll tend to want to use passing chords cause they sound so good. Unfortunately not always where the money is at. :-)

Grandpa...

We're from the same start. <grin> It's also why I like the wider necks and don't care at all for Fender necks.

Rogerb...

Not sure I'd agree, depending on the songwriter's musical consciousness. I tend to use more passing chords on the 175.

m

You've gotta be kiddin'!

Hmmmmm. I know you're not. I've just never felt comfortable with the neck radius and narrow nut on Fenders and their clones. I've often teased that if they made a Gibson neck to go on a Tele I'd consider one.

m

You've gotta be kiddin'!

Hmmmmm. I know you're not. I've just never felt comfortable with the neck radius and narrow nut on Fenders and their clones. I've often teased that if they made a Gibson neck to go on a Tele I'd consider one.

m

I've thought the very same exact thing. A big wide fingrtpicking neck on a Tele, priceless. Kevin Eubanks, Leno's bandleader, has an electric with a wide neck. It's a custom joib I think.

Actually I love the neck on the 175 version I have. I somethings figure it'd be a shade better just about a half inch shorter scale and a 16th of an inch wider but... Sheesh, that's kinda nitpicking.

Here's one I've kicked myself about for years. I had a Hagstrom solid body 12. The neck was nice and thin and flat. Drop half the strings and you've got a sold body with a nice thin but wide neck!

Nope, I was too stupid to think of it seriously and keep a really nice guitar.

Too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

Archived