Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

to each their own. i have played two of the 50's studio tributes and had one on order... they are awesome. i cancelled my order for a cb because sam ash pissed me off... and i got another love! they cancelled two seperate previous orders for a gt and a hb with no other explanation but "they are discontinued". that being said they are great guitars with a very nice p90 tone. but for my money, a made in japan orville les paul special, or lacquer series 2005-2006 epiphone japan is a far better deal, check katana guitars, he usually has one a month and his service/shipping is outstanding! ymmv i will say, that in the future, if i can grab a GT worn 50's used, i will! btw TURTLE is that a lemon drop in your avatar? that is stunning!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems more and more the 50s Tribute may be one of those guitars where you have say "it is really good...for the money". They sound really good, play fine, and are set-up well (if not too high a bridge) and can look pretty damn cool; the P90s make them somewhat unique and the old school electronics are really nice, but it seems overall it is the low price that is selling 'em.

I think like any other guitars you should check 'em out 1st before buying. See if the one you are looking at is worth it to YOU. Differences in the amount of factory wear, scratches, switch issues, multi-piece (4 or maybe even 5 piece) backs, obvious flaws, high bridges, etc. could all matter to a buyer. There now seems to be some fairly wide variances in different samples.

I had passed several times for other guitars before I finally bought mine, and I still kind of feel that way...the one I bought is a nice guitar with no issues, worth having because of the P90s and to have a very good lower-cost guitar for traveling with, but 'you' may better off putting your money towards something else.

Well, checking it out is a problem because there were none available at the time I ordered mine. I like this guitar for the reasons you mentioned. There is no other Les Paul or Gibson I'm interested in. This guitar is just off the main path far enough to make it special, imo. As you say, everything will come together when I actually get to play it, unfortunately a few weeks as of last word. If it doesn't work then it stays with Guitar Center. The only thing I can think of that would cause me to return it would be an unplayable neck. Highly unlikely. I've got a great luthier who can level and dress the frets for me. I don't expect them to perfect right out of the box.

Just an FYI. For years, maybe going back to the early 2000's, Gibson has produced faded / worn Les Pauls and SGs and have they been priced modestly ($700 to $850) as compared to standards, classics, customs, etc. They lack binding, are solid mahogany (no plain or flame maple cap on the LP), and are finished with a thin satin nitro (I think it is nitro) allowing the wood grain to show thru. They are the working mans Gibson and are constructed just as well as other Gibsons, the pickups are either Burst Buckers (LP) or 490R / 498T (SG), hardware is the same, and the LPs even have trapezoidal fretboard inlays. I have had 3 of the faded SGs, I still have one of them, and my very first Gibson was a faded LP, which I still have. Let me tell you, these guitars, while lacking in the the finer aesthetics of their higher priced siblings, are just great instruments in their own right.

The Les Paul 50's tribute series are exactly the same as the faded LP's, but with P90's and 5 different finishes. To boot, the gold top and the honeyburst (and maybe the cherry burst) models have the maple cap showing on the sides, which gives the effect of binding, but is not really binding nor meant to be considered fake or faux binding. It is simply the cap showing thru the finish, which looks great if you ask me. For what it is worth, the faded LPs and SGs are worth the money and I am sure that these 50s tributes will also be well worth $850.

SunDogAZ

I think this is very well put. If the guys are expecting to be getting an R6 for this price, they should think again. It IS a budget guitar. I've said all along that this was the reason it would not go up in value, and why it would not be prone to a lot of price gouging/profiteering by those who get them. Of course, there is always someone somewhere who missed the boat, and just has to have it. And is able and willing to pay top dollar (more than it's worth IMO). But that's the exception, not the rule. As a rule, interest in these will go down as the price goes up. It is a price driven, budget guitar that is a very good value.

I may have just experienced a bad one - I have a faded studio, and it's just fine. (Although it does have a one-piece mahogany body with nice grain on the cap).

I still have the GT on order - I may just have to wait and see with that one. I'm not so in love with the idea of it being a GT to be willing to put up with a four-piece body.

I've read time and again that a Les Paul needs to have a good set up. Do you think a set up might have improved this one in your hands?

On the issue of the four piece back, was it three separate seam lines? Or was it two, with one started, cut through (when they cut out the body shape) and then restated? If so, I'd maintain that would be a three piece body (as in they started the blank with three pieces of wood bonded together, then when they cut out the shape, they crossed a seam line), even though if you separated all pieces now you'd get four pieces.

Either way, I find mine (one is three piece, one is two piece) both ring out very nicely and sustain great. Have a great sound when unplugged (perhaps this is due to the chambering?). I am pleased with these. But at twice the price, I would not be.

One word on the Gold Top. The finish is substantially different from the other Gold Tops in the line. I suspect it is due to the lack of the finishing "Gloss" coats of Nitro lacquer. I compared it to an R7 at GC, and it has quite a different look. A bit "greenish", or perhaps more bronze. Either way, I still really like the look. I'd prefer an R6 to this guitar. But the price difference means that isn't happening right now. Would I keep this if I got the R6? Don't know. I suspect maybe not.

After picking up a GT at Sam Ash last week (which in my case has a three-piece body, sounds great, plays well and has great sustain--good value at the price point, I think), I went away for the weekend with limited access to e-mail and returned to find a note indicating that the ebony I'd ordered in June from M123 has shipped. So maybe there's some earlier than expected movement on the M123/GC/MF orders.

First of all, thanks to those who said to call Sam Ash. I did, and I'll be picking up my HSB on Friday, it's gonna be a long freaking week. I talked to 2 managers and 1 sales guy, and they all were gushing over this guitar, and not in the sales pitch kind of way. They seemed to be awed by the tone and playability of it. Let's be real, if I were to cancel it, it'd be sold before the end of the day today.

This is my first Gibson, I've owned copies (some very, very good, hell even great) and I am stoked. I'm a P90 junkie so between getting a LP AND P90's, all under $900 was a crazy good deal.

I've been following this, and there seems to be some hit and miss stuff going on with this model. If I were to have problems, I assume Gibson would be responsible for repairing/replacing it, correct? I'm talking about crazy things happening, like the body separating, fretboard coming unglued, etc.

I doubt any of these things could happen, but better to ask an know, than to have it happen and wonder.

I just got a Blues Jr this weekend so the pair should play really nice together, gonna rip out some Black Keys, smile and enjoy. I wish it came with a HSC, only if to complete the whole LP package, but I've got a hsc that will work just fine.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll post pics if I am conscious and not playing it this weekend :P

Oh, and I gotta tell ya, it's so nice I don't need to worry about the UPS or FedEx delivery gorilla's damaging it. They're going to have their luthier set it up tomorrow... It's gonna be a long week.... ](*,)

My Cherry Burst left Sam Ash in Tampa last week (Wed?), and is not scheduled to be here in Reno until this Friday, so I'm in as much pain as Zonkers is . Fed EX tracking system has not updated since it left Orlando at (AM last Friday!!!!! I'm hurtin'!!!

First of all, thanks to those who said to call Sam Ash. I did, and I'll be picking up my HSB on Friday, it's gonna be a long freaking week. I talked to 2 managers and 1 sales guy, and they all were gushing over this guitar, and not in the sales pitch kind of way. They seemed to be awed by the tone and playability of it. Let's be real, if I were to cancel it, it'd be sold before the end of the day today.

This is my first Gibson, I've owned copies (some very, very good, hell even great) and I am stoked. I'm a P90 junkie so between getting a LP AND P90's, all under $900 was a crazy good deal.

I've been following this, and there seems to be some hit and miss stuff going on with this model. If I were to have problems, I assume Gibson would be responsible for repairing/replacing it, correct? I'm talking about crazy things happening, like the body separating, fretboard coming unglued, etc.

I doubt any of these things could happen, but better to ask an know, than to have it happen and wonder.

I just got a Blues Jr this weekend so the pair should play really nice together, gonna rip out some Black Keys, smile and enjoy. I wish it came with a HSC, only if to complete the whole LP package, but I've got a hsc that will work just fine.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll post pics if I am conscious and not playing it this weekend :P

Oh, and I gotta tell ya, it's so nice I don't need to worry about the UPS or FedEx delivery gorilla's damaging it. They're going to have their luthier set it up tomorrow... It's gonna be a long week.... ](*,)

Hi guys !

i'm an italian user, and here the gibson les paul studio 50's tribute doesn't exist at all...

so, Do you know some online shop that sells the 50's tribute ?

I saw one last week on eBay for $1495 or something like that. They'll probably ship to Italy, but you are already overpaying, for sure!!!

Glad to hear it's still on.

As to things like separation, of course Gibson guarantees that. If i'm not mistaken, that aspect of the guitar is warranted for life (electronics I think a year? I know my Robotics on the Robot are covered for a year).

My Cherry Burst left Sam Ash in Tampa last week (Wed?), and is not scheduled to be here in Reno until this Friday, so I'm in as much pain as Zonkers is . Fed EX tracking system has not updated since it left Orlando at (AM last Friday!!!!! I'm hurtin'!!!

Ah yes, the frustration of X Country Fed Ex tracking. They don't update it until it hits another regional hub, which might well be in Reno, Vegas, maybe Denver or someplace in AZ? I don't know their system, but until it changes trucks, no more info...

I sure hope your guitar don't go from Orlando to Tampa.... Mine got " stuck " there for 3 days..msp_crying.gif

Sparky...I hope you are correct...I REALY want to be jammin' on this thing this coming weekend!

T-Bone, thanks for the explanation of how Fed Ex does it...I did not know that! I tried to call them, but I didn't get anywhere. The next big hurdle is that if it does get to my house this Friday before I get home, then I'll have to wait until Monday to get it. I don't think I can do that!!!! I'll have to leave a note for them and ask them to leave it somewhere out of sight. Maybe I'll take off early from work...good enough reason, eh?!!!!!

Maybe I'll take off early from work...good enough reason, eh?!!!!!

Definitely!!! There is NO WAY I want a guitar left oustide at my house overnight let alone for 3 days...could be 95deg during the day and 50 at night these days, and raining the next...what's the weather like in Reno??? A bit warm, or no?

Definitely!!! There is NO WAY I want a guitar left oustide at my house overnight let alone for 3 days...could be 95deg during the day and 50 at night these days, and raining the next...what's the weather like in Reno??? A bit warm, or no?

Reno is coolong off this week. Today will be 85...tomorrow low 70's. On Friday it shouldn't be much higher than low 80's. The poor guitar has probably already been exposed to high 90's in the south as it has travelled.

I'm hoping to be home after noon on Friday. Most of the experience I've had with the delivery companys is that they tend to do residential stuff in the later part of the day.

Sparky...I hope you are correct...I REALY want to be jammin' on this thing this coming weekend!

T-Bone, thanks for the explanation of how Fed Ex does it...I did not know that! I tried to call them, but I didn't get anywhere. The next big hurdle is that if it does get to my house this Friday before I get home, then I'll have to wait until Monday to get it. I don't think I can do that!!!! I'll have to leave a note for them and ask them to leave it somewhere out of sight. Maybe I'll take off early from work...good enough reason, eh?!!!!!

Yep, that does sound like a good reason (to me anyway, not so sure about to your Boss? :unsure: ). Does the tracking list an estimated delivery date? Usually does, and in my limited experience, they usually make that date (I've watched a couple of guitars arrive in Ohio only to still be there late the night before a scheduled delivery- wondering if they'd make it. Sure enough, they always departed Ohio very early in the AM and were at the local terminal in time to load onto trucks).

This reminds me of another option though, one I use a lot (many times a signature will be required, and they won't leave the guitar but will leave a door tag-this could cost you the weekend).

What I often do with Fed Ex is call them and have it held in Will Call. Depends for you if the residential terminal is convenient at all, but if so, you can go during their hours (verify what hours that specific terminal is open by calling the terminal itself, a phone number you can get from Fed Ex). This way I don't have to wait all day for a delivery, I simply go to the terminal and pick it up (done so with 3 or 4 packages in the last two months). In my case, the terminal is very near home (1.5 miles or less). It's a great option at least in my case. You'll simply need your name and tracking number when you call, and an ID and tracking number when you go to pick up.

BTW, unfortunately the above does not work with UPS. As their contract is with the Shipper, they will not allow the recipient to change a shipment in any way until after a delivery attempt has been made. Right to do so I guess, but it's a pain (if a Seller is cooperative, they can call themselves and change it). But in your case, it's Fed Ex, so this is an option that may be worth considering.

Yep, that does sound like a good reason (to me anyway, not so sure about to your Boss? :unsure: ). Does the tracking list an estimated delivery date? Usually does, and in my limited experience, they usually make that date (I've watched a couple of guitars arrive in Ohio only to still be there late the night before a scheduled delivery- wondering if they'd make it. Sure enough, they always departed Ohio very early in the AM and were at the local terminal in time to load onto trucks).

This reminds me of another option though, one I use a lot (many times a signature will be required, and they won't leave the guitar but will leave a door tag-this could cost you the weekend).

What I often do with Fed Ex is call them and have it held in Will Call. Depends for you if the residential terminal is convenient at all, but if so, you can go during their hours (verify what hours that specific terminal is open by calling the terminal itself, a phone number you can get from Fed Ex). This way I don't have to wait all day for a delivery, I simply go to the terminal and pick it up (done so with 3 or 4 packages in the last two months). In my case, the terminal is very near home (1.5 miles or less). It's a great option at least in my case. You'll simply need your name and tracking number when you call, and an ID and tracking number when you go to pick up.

BTW, unfortunately the above does not work with UPS. As their contract is with the Shipper, they will not allow the recipient to change a shipment in any way until after a delivery attempt has been made. Right to do so I guess, but it's a pain (if a Seller is cooperative, they can call themselves and change it). But in your case, it's Fed Ex, so this is an option that may be worth considering.

So I called Fed Ex, after about 5 minutes of pushing buttons I finally get a human. I asked if I could simply pick it up instead of having it delivered. The girl barely spoke English and kept apologizing and said I could not do that. BUT, the good news is that it is now scheduled for Thursday, so they should make the first delivery attempt Thursday, then I can pick it up myself on Friday. And that should be fine.

Thanks for the advice, TB!

So I called Fed Ex, after about 5 minutes of pushing buttons I finally get a human. I asked if I could simply pick it up instead of having it delivered. The girl barely spoke English and kept apologizing and said I could not do that. BUT, the good news is that it is now scheduled for Thursday, so they should make the first delivery attempt Thursday, then I can pick it up myself on Friday. And that should be fine.

Thanks for the advice, TB!

Ack! I should have mentioned how to get a Rep. It does take a few minutes. I usually let the computer track the package first by reading in my tracking number, then I say "representative". If it doesn't recognize that, eventually it will get a person anyway (I keep saying it every time it asks me to choose an option). Surprised they wouldn't hold it at Will Call (may help to use those words?) but maybe they are adopting the same policy as UPS. I had one held just last week (two actually, the Gold Top 50's Tribute and a BBE Soul Vibe).

fed ex does it differently, to say the least.. You should have seen my post 6-8 pages ago, when the tracking # they gave me was 1 year old and already signed for half a country away. Turned out they reuse their tracking #'s.. Who knew??

I hope you get her by Friday as well... I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya>msp_thumbup.gif

Let me take a wild guess here " T ", It stops in Perrysburg, Ohio for the night?? dry.gif

fed ex does it differently, to say the least.. You should have seen my post 6-8 pages ago, when the tracking # they gave me was 1 year old and already signed for half a country away. Turned out they reuse their tracking #'s.. Who knew??

I hope you get her by Friday as well... I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya>msp_thumbup.gif

Yes, Sparky...I checked the tracking number 2 days after it left Tampa, and my guitar was delivered and signed for by someone in New Jersey! I about crapped my pants...then I saw the date was a year old. Called Sam Ash and they verified that the number would be recycled, and it was the next day...whew!!!

Yes, Sparky...I checked the tracking number 2 days after it left Tampa, and my guitar was delivered and signed for by someone in New Jersey! I about crapped my pants...then I saw the date was a year old. Called Sam Ash and they verified that the number would be recycled, and it was the next day...whew!!!

You got to love modern technology, don't ya?? When I seen the shipping weight was 33.5 pounds, I was hoping they sent 4 guitars out for the price of 1.. Well everybody else would have had that thought cross their mind for a second!??eusa_dance.gif

Good to know on the recycled tracking numbers, I've never encountered that one before. Odd that they aren't cleared before being reassigned, I can't see how their system can track the number or even accept it to be scanned in when it already has a delivered status [confused] .

Let me take a wild guess here " T ", It stops in Perrysburg, Ohio for the night?? dry.gif

Yep, that's the place. Good things come through Perrysviburg [woot] .

Any more news on shipping of 50's Tributes guys? Saw some Musician's Friends Customers on MLPF saying they got shipping notices. No one here?

Will they sell? I count 6 50's Tribute's now on eBay. BIN prices range from $1299 to $1799. The highest is a Gold Top, there are a Cherry Sunburst, an Ebony, 3 Honeybursts and one Gold Top. Putting all three in my watch list, just out of curiosity. Following along with P.T.Barnum's logic, I'll bet one or two will sell at these prices. I'll bet the others will not, at least without several re-listings. And as more of these are shipped to other dealers and work their way into the supply chain, I wonder how that will effect the dynamic? A curious study...

Archived