Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Yeah, it sure seems like some folk's perspective has gotten a bit skewed,

to say the least. As nice as they are, they're not CS R-6's. But, for

the folks that have more money, than sense...I suppose, if they want to

spend that much on one, who am I to say otherwise? ;>b LOL

CB

I simply feel bad for those who do.

You can paint a quarter in gold but it stil ain't a gold coin.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply feel bad for those who do.

You can paint a quarter in gold but it stil ain't a gold coin.

Big difference here though. No one is conning those who are buying these at inflated prices. It is in fact a difficult guitar to get, also as I've said all along, as the price goes up, the interest goes down (the price is a very big part of the guitar's appeal). But if they've just got to have it for whatever reason, and they are willing to spend the money, it is their call. I see people waste far more money on other things regularly.

Big difference here though. No one is conning those who are buying these at inflated prices. It is in fact a difficult guitar to get, also as I've said all along, as the price goes up, the interest goes down (the price is a very big part of the guitar's appeal). But if they've just got to have it for whatever reason, and they are willing to spend the money, it is their call. I see people waste far more money on other things regularly.

Exactly, to each their own. Not up to us to decide how bad they want a G.T.

Thy are the ones paying for it.msp_laugh.gif

So what is the word from GC and MF? When are they finally getting "ANY" 50s tribute? When I went to GC to cancel my pre order when I got my GT three weeks ago, they were so apologetic about not getting the guitars on 8/31 which Sam Ash did. I can't imagine how much $$$ GC or MF lost due to cancelations as many jumped ship to Sam Ash.

I'm not bothering with G C about my guitar until September 30, a month later than I expected. They'll sell all the cancellations. No big deal. And they'll survive the flap over late shipping, etc. This is a tiny piece of G C's pie. I am attracted to this Les Paul, yes, because of the price but also because of what it is: a P90-fitted relatively simple guitar, chambered. I like the HoneyBurst but had to settle for the Cherry, though I've since become interested in the white guy because I have not found that combination of cream on white in any Les Paul. The only other Gibson I would be interested in is a little 339 or maybe the G Moore BFG, but I've already got a Dues with a P90 up front and a bucker at the bridge. It's a good combination.

Wildwood has sold two white Tributes in the past couple weeks. They still have a black one.

Who's saying it's a gold coin? It's an $850 Les Paul.

Exactly, it is an $850 Les Paul. Not $1,400.

I did not say people are getting conned, I do say they are getting over-hyped. Like I said to each its own.

I own a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany so I am not knocking the Tributes down.

So what is the word from GC and MF? When are they finally getting "ANY" 50s tribute? When I went to GC to cancel my pre order when I got my GT three weeks ago, they were so apologetic about not getting the guitars on 8/31 which Sam Ash did. I can't imagine how much $$$ GC or MF lost due to cancelations as many jumped ship to Sam Ash.

Like I said there was a black one at GC Nashville. MF has black and white in stock on their website.

Look what I found at craigslist. Looks like a fellow forum member is already selling his/her 50s tribute just days of receiving it.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1933647325.html

That's mine .

Dropped the price . http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1951137884.html I'm just used to better quality guitars , sounds great , the neck is real nice and slippery . If they spent another hour or two fine sanding and finishing and a bit more fret work it would be incredible . The top really need's a coat of gloss .

I think the G.T. are going the way of hens teeth..

Good luck if your trying though!msp_biggrin.gif

My dealer isn't even attempting to pin point an exact date, on the Gold Top's

they ordered (in March), anymore. They got in a "Cherry Burst," but nothing else,

as of this writing. The "Gold Top's" were ordered, at the same time. So...???

Not sure how Gibson is dealing with previous long standing orders, but...apparently

not by "when" they were ordered? Who knows? By "Top" dealer/sellers, by who screams

the loudest, the longest??? No one knows, and Gibson "ain't talkin'!" So, we wait! [crying]

CB

My dealer isn't even attempting to pin point an exact date, on the Gold Top's

they ordered (in March), anymore. They got in a "Cherry Burst," but nothing else,

as of this writing. The "Gold Top's" were ordered, at the same time. So...???

Not sure how Gibson is dealing with previous long standing orders, but...apparently

not by "when" they were ordered? Who knows? By "Top" dealer/sellers, by who screams

the loudest, the longest??? No one knows, and Gibson "ain't talkin'!" So, we wait! [crying]

CB

You are not alone charlie brown. I came in and bought a HB from a local guitar store a couple months ago. The store had it already on order a few months prior to that. Still no date as to when I should be expecting it, weeks, months, years, have no idea.

This whole thing reminds me of when xbox 360 and the wii came out. My brother inlaw paid a guy 300 for his place in line to get an xbox 360. I guess the "to each his own" applies to a lot of things. I'm just not one of those peeps. I remeber when they had on amazon and I could have gotten the goldtop. Oh well, could have sold it for double. Who knew. Lol

I'll be dropping by GC for an update today. But I have to say that I've lost some interest in this Tribute guitar. If GC pushes the delivery date back any further I may look for something else. We're always looking for something else, right? JHale sez, "You can't have too many guitars!"

It's been interesting watching all the movement around this guitar. Let me tell you that after playing my GT every night since I got it, it really deserves all of this noise, and the wait is worth for all of those yet to receive theirs. I think I was lucky in hearing here about Sam Ash when I ordered through GC since early June, and kept receiving backorder promises. I don't know if Gibson will extend production on this guitar, but after owning another Gibson, this one is a remarkable value, maybe a Gibson experiment to understand the market demand by softening the price. This guitar is a good example of what value really means (the ratio of function to cost). It may cost $850, or $1,999 on ebay, or who knows how much in the future, but the function for each of us is what makes a difference....

It's been interesting watching all the movement around this guitar. Let me tell you that after playing my GT every night since I got it, it really deserves all of this noise, and the wait is worth for all of those yet to receive theirs. I think I was lucky in hearing here about Sam Ash when I ordered through GC since early June, and kept receiving backorder promises. I don't know if Gibson will extend production on this guitar, but after owning another Gibson, this one is a remarkable value, maybe a Gibson experiment to understand the market demand by softening the price. This guitar is a good example of what value really means (the ratio of function to cost). It may cost $850, or $1,999 on ebay, or who knows how much in the future, but the function for each of us is what makes a difference....

I would agree. Since receiving my HB it has definitly spurred my interest in acquiring another Les Paul. I've had a 335 for years. I bought the 335 in 1992. Now I'm wondering where the P-90's have been all my life.

I'm just an old jazz/fusion noodler, who plays through a 5-watt Champ and a plush drive in my office. This LP is so much more confortable to play, and has a great palette of tones.

Sometimes you choose the guitar, other times, the guitar chooses you. My HB falls into the second catagory.

My two cents....

I would agree. Since receiving my HB it has definitly spurred my interest in acquiring another Les Paul. I've had a 335 for years. I bought the 335 in 1992. Now I'm wondering where the P-90's have been all my life.

I'm just an old jazz/fusion noodler, who plays through a 5-watt Champ and a plush drive in my office. This LP is so much more confortable to play, and has a great palette of tones.

Sometimes you choose the guitar, other times, the guitar chooses you. My HB falls into the second catagory.

My two cents....

Mine is also in the second category....although my wife would disagree (another guitar???), well this is more than another guitar, maybe not the best there is, but the best I've had for the price paid.

I'll be dropping by GC for an update today. But I have to say that I've lost some interest in this Tribute guitar. If GC pushes the delivery date back any further I may look for something else. We're always looking for something else, right? JHale sez, "You can't have too many guitars!"

This is true. I've lost all interest especially if it has that satin-y feel. My lesters are already getting worn in and that natural satin wear can only be accomplished by- a. Playing the balls off it or b. Vos tom murphy. C. Playing a vos's balls off. Feels cheap to me. No thanks I'll wait a year and buy an R6!!!! Rock

Archived