Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

When did they have them in stock? They don't have any now.

One minute before I posted.

Actually somebody in this same thread mentioned it and that is why I checked.

When I clicked on the select/color option there was only back and white.

Edit: Dang, I see that now when you click a 9/30/2010 due date appears.

I kind of dig the white one but I have not seen one in person.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct about I too am intreged by the hype this 850 dollar guitar is getting. Over 68 pages!!!!! Wow when are we gonna get a 68 page full color photo shoot of our fellow gib forum member r9's collection. That would be something

I bet R9 already has a couple of 50s tribute that he would admit to. He is just waiting for the right time to post pics of it........say around 15 years from now when or if it increases its sales value? [scared]

Hey what happen to the video I posted?

Which one? The one of you playing is a few pages back I think. The Pat Travers video is in the P90 "Orgasm" thread...

Why didn't Gibson USA just tell us back in June:

Call Sam Ash before you bother checking with your favorite Gibson dealer to find out what they ordered and what they may have available for you to order

Sam Ash did sell out their pre-orders (as many as they inteded too). They specifically held back some of their allotment from pre-order to allow some stock in stores. At least that's the gist of what I got from my contact at Sam Ash Direct.

I dropped by the GC where I bought the Cherry (Sept 30) and by coincidence a Tribute had just arrived and was being brought to the floor. Eric did a quick tune up and we took it into the sound room and plugged it into an Egnater and a 333 just for the fun of it. This was a black one. It almost has the feel and, acoustically, the sound of a semi-hollow body, similar to a Gretsch I have. The strings were too high off the neck for me but it played good. The pickups, though, howled. They weren't very noisy, at least through the two amps I played through. But, this is a plain Jane guitar, no frills. Additionally, there seemed to be no electronics issues like bad switches. Eric said he was surprised to see this one. A trickler, I suppose. He still points to the September 30 date. I could have traded my Cherry for the black and gone home with a guitar today but I can wait to see the Cherry.

This one didn't have a nitro sticky feeling to it. I can't compare it to other Gibsons because I have no recent experience with any other Gibsons, Les Paul or otherwise. But, the surface felt good, smooth to touch, and easy to run a hand up and down the neck. Weightwise I can tell it's a chambered guitar, similar to semi-hollow-body smaller electric guitars. I'd like the surface of this black one much more if the grain of the wood wasn't so evident.

Yeah sounds weird about wood showwing through which means no grain fillers prolly or like one coat of finish. I wonder what these things are gonna look like in 5 years of playing. Like a rory galligher guitar or joe strummer. No finish at all left. I know one thing for sure on especially new merchandise you buy. You usually get what you pay for in the end. This is why it turns me off

Yeah sounds weird about wood showwing through which means no grain fillers prolly or like one coat of finish. I wonder what these things are gonna look like in 5 years of playing. Like a rory galligher guitar or joe strummer. No finish at all left. I know one thing for sure on especially new merchandise you buy. You usually get what you pay for in the end. This is why it turns me off

I've had 3 faded sg's (a 2002, 2003, and 2007) and a faded lp (2006) and they have all aged nicely. The finish does not flake off as you might think. Rather, it takes on a shine where it is handled the most (back of neck, top bout where you rest your arm, etc). In fact, the more that these are worn, the more they seem vintage in appearance. The lack of filler and a thick finish may affect tone, in a good or bad way, but I've only heard that thin finishes have a good affect on tone. What do you other guys / gals think?

SunDogAZ

Yeah sounds weird about wood showwing through which means no grain fillers prolly or like one coat of finish.

Sounds like my Fender EJ.

I wonder what these things are gonna look like in 5 years of playing. Like a rory galligher guitar or joe strummer. No finish at all left.

Sounds great to me. I think that's exactly what they're going for.

The lack of filler and a thick finish may affect tone, in a good or bad way, but I've only heard that thin finishes have a good affect on tone. What do you other guys / gals think?

SunDogAZ

As I said above, I have an EJ, which really started the whole thin nitro craze. I can't say enough good things about it. Then I have another guitar with no finish, just tung oiled. It sounds incredible. I'm a believer.

In case anyone is looking for an ebony 50's tribute there was one at the Guitar Center in Scottsdale, AZ today. They said that they have had it for 2 days now. I checked it out and it seems pretty solid. Finish was in good shape, they did do a little wear mark on the back of the neck. The switch seems fine when you just switch it up or down as you would normally, but if you move it very slowly to another position, you do hear a little noise; no big deal I'm sure. Action was a little bit high but definitely playable. I asked if they would ship out of state and they said if shipping was paid for as well as a credit card provided, they'd ship anywhere in the world.

Ask for Dave Lansing in guitars...

Guitar Center

Scottsdale, AZ

(480) 362-1150

Good Luck!

SunDogAZ

In case anyone is looking for an ebony 50's tribute there was one at the Guitar Center in Scottsdale, AZ today. They said that they have had it for 2 days now. I checked it out and it seems pretty solid. Finish was in good shape, they did do a little wear mark on the back of the neck. The switch seems fine when you just switch it up or down as you would normally, but if you move it very slowly to another position, you do hear a little noise; no big deal I'm sure. Action was a little bit high but definitely playable. I asked if they would ship out of state and they said if shipping was paid for as well as a credit card provided, they'd ship anywhere in the world.

Ask for Dave Lansing in guitars...

Guitar Center

Scottsdale, AZ

(480) 362-1150

Good Luck!

SunDogAZ

I don't understand. Guitar Center is getting these 50s tribute already, but in the less popular colors. Did GC and MF get any gold tops or honeyburst before they were completely sold out from Gibson? What about those who are still waiting for their GT and HB? So Sam Ash got the bulk of all the GT and HB colors?

I don't understand. Guitar Center is getting these 50s tribute already, but in the less popular colors. Did GC and MF get any gold tops or honeyburst before they were completely sold out from Gibson? What about those who are still waiting for their GT and HB? So Sam Ash got the bulk of all the GT and HB colors?

My guess is that GC may NOT have allocated a fixed number of each finish to be distributed to its retail stores as Sam Ash did, so they sold on preorder most / all of their gold tops and honeybursts thru the GC and probably MF websites before many had a chance to get to stores? Just a guess... Or perhaps a lot of stores had customers walk in or call on the phone and pre order...

SunDogAZ

And I'm no closer to getting the one I ordered in May. This whole thing is starting to make no sense.

Nah, GC is just now starting to get their guitars in. The Glod Tops (and I think HBs) were all pre-sold. Not likely you'll see any of these on the wall, unless they had cancellations. At least that's what I've been told... (my GC Rep will be contacted to verify).

A GT 50s tribute vs a LP Custom, p90 vs humbucker.

Sweet video, great sound from both! Surprisingly similar too, how close are they without the OCD?

Archived