Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they´ve just updated the site and the tribute now is to OCT.30. What a mess GC is doing... MF also... they´re the same company. Gibson should take a position into this. They´re sparing Gibson name on this backorders.. And GC is holding on my money for the backorder... If Gibson is already delivering the guitars as SamAsh got them as some of you told here, they´re kidding with their customers and with Gibson name. [thumbdn]

I´m actually thinking of a Faded Brown Studio already to buy from SamAsh. What do you guys think about this guitar ? Pretty much the same as the Tribute except it got humbuckers ? No PLEK I guess ?

BOY I AM MAD ON GC/MF! [cursing]

Yeah they´ve just updated the site and the tribute now is to OCT.30. What a mess GC is doing... MF also... they´re the same company. Gibson should take a position into this. They´re sparing Gibson name on this backorders.. And GC is holding on my money for the backorder... If Gibson is already delivering the guitars as SamAsh got them as some of you told here, they´re kidding with their customers and with Gibson name. [thumbdn]

I´m actually thinking of a Faded Brown Studio already to buy from SamAsh. What do you guys think about this guitar ? Pretty much the same as the Tribute except it got humbuckers ? No PLEK I guess ?

BOY I AM MAD ON GC/MF! [cursing]

Henry says all Nashvilles are pleked.

I like my Faded - it might just have to do.

Assuming I get my GT from GC (It's getting ridiculous at this point)...I'll need a case. Want to get a nice one with TSA locks. Any thoughts. SKB seems like the old stand-by, but the Gator also looks nice. Kind of like the plush interior of the Gator...has a bit of a vintage feel.

What cases have you lucky folks that actually received your guitar purchased?

Assuming I get my GT from GC (It's getting ridiculous at this point)...I'll need a case. Want to get a nice one with TSA locks. Any thoughts. SKB seems like the old stand-by, but the Gator also looks nice. Kind of like the plush interior of the Gator...has a bit of a vintage feel.

What cases have you lucky folks that actually received your guitar purchased?

I got the SKB with the TSA lock, and the guitar fits nicely. Got it for $100 at a guitar shop. A little heavy though, but I just purchased it to carry may guitar in the plane, gate checked of course! My other Gibson has a Gibson case, and that is definitely much better, lighter and nicer looking. I would recommend getting a Gibson case, since these guitars are top notch, why shouldn't the case be the same? I may get an original Gibson case for my GT.

COOL! Are you "overseas?" Hope it arrives safe and sound (wherever you are), and soon!

CB

I am not overseas, but rather on the NC Coast. It won't be shipped until Monday due to my schedule. I had them send me pics. Turns out, they were allotted 5 in each color.

Ya know, I wonder who is really to blame at this point of the game?

Do you think we will ever really know what is happening, or about to happen or not??

You would think Gibson would at least say something to someone. M.F., & G.C.

If they are indeed their biggest reseller of their products, you would think, just maybe, a peep?

Heck if I seen a Honey, I would buy it just cuz.msp_flapper.gif

Well, I hate to say "I TOLD YOU SO". I'm addressing this to those that have "not" gotten "ANY" 50s Tributes and still waiting for MF and GC to deliver. I'm not addressing this to those who have gotten their 50s tribute, but still waiting for MF and GC to get their second or more 50s Tributes. As I recall about a month ago when the shipping due date for the 50s Tribute was 8/31 only one vendor had these elusive gems and they had goldtop color, mind you it was the first choice of all the colors for many, including me. Many had posted and tried to help their fellow Gibson Forum Members of posting which Sam Ash stores had the 50s tribute les pauls and in which colors. I for one had done this numerous times, but still some or most choose to wait for GC/MF and lost their chance while the picking was still good. WHY? Why do you all still continue to wait? I had a preorder for the GT as well at my local GC and paid in full. I canceled my preorder with no problem the same day I got my GT from Sam Ash, Hollywood, CA. The money was back on my credit card within two days. So getting your money back and to do your business elsewhere should not be an issue. So again why??? Now, the delivery date is pushed back to the end of Oct? Two more months from the original date of August? WHY???? Why didn't you get your 50s tribute when you had the chance?? Why??? [scared]

OK, several days into owning my "Gold Top," I have some more "realistic" (less excited/gushing) observations, to share.

First, it turns out, it's a 4-piece body, instead of 3-piece, like I thought. The last seam I found, was VERY well hidden, and even now, nearly impossible to find. (I've changed my original posting, to reflect that.)

Second, there are several very small/minor finishing "problem areas," where it appears the stain was

rather sloppy, in application. Most around the neck joint. (I'm being "nit picky," here...but I want to be totally honest and forth-coming, about all this).

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

NONE of these things effect tone, or playability, and are totally "cosmetic" in nature.

It IS (somewhat) disappointing, that these things are present, even though this is a "bargain" Gibson, with a "faded" finish. Just ever so slightly more QC, and it would have been "flawless."

It is, what it is...but, it could have been a lot better, with just a little extra time involved,

in finish and QC.

My Ephiphones, Ric's or Gretsch's, for example, have never had a single blemish, in finishing, or construction...Poly, Nitro, or otherwise, regardless of price point. Too many Gibson's, in the last several years...save maybe the CS versions, are filled with finishing flaws, and even construction problems, like (bridges in the wrong position, so intonation is impossible, etc.)...most of which we've discussed here, ad nauseum, so I won't dwell on it, again.

So, my initial "Gushing" has been tempered, a bit...but, I love the tone, and playbility, and the looks, too. The finishing flaws are minor, and on the back (unseen, to anyone else) areas, of the guitar. But, "bargain" or not, I just feel like they need to pay closer attention, to even the small details, and...I wanted to be honest/upfront, with my latest observations.

CB

Thanks for the posting. I agree with your comments on the attention to detail. All in all, it comes down to cost. And labor, as everybody knows, is very expensive in the U.S. compared to other countries. I am not saying this because of not being American, but I also had an Epiphone Les Paul, and even if it isn't a nitro finish, it is absolutely flawless. Of course, made in China, with lower labor costs that allow to have additional finishing and QC steps in the process to ensure a quality product out to the customer. But is that bad? probably not in mi opinion, quality is always relative and is dependent on the customer's perceived ease of function, which these Tributes meet in many ways. Even my Gibson LP studio has flaws, and probably higher priced Gibsons as well. But, we have an American made guitar, a tradition that is part of the price. Similar to what happens with American cars, where you can find less expensive Japanese brands that exceed the expectations. But we have the opportunity of choosing, and Gibson is what we want it to be...... Anyways, I love my GT with all its pros and cons, awesome as you said!

Well, I think too, they may have "rushed" a bit, to get them out,

due to overwhelming demand, and them being out of production, totally,

for a couple of months, due to the flooding. I was afraid, they might

do that (rush them), but...was hoping, otherwise. My dealer has told

me "they" will make it right, fix the problems shown, for me. So, I

may have them do that? I may be "too picky," too...but, I (really) don't

think so. Labor costs (in the USA) aside, there should be more pride,

in workmanship, even on lower end costing guitars. They still represent

"Gibson," and the low end models, might be all someone can afford, at the

time, and if they have a less than favorable experience with their Gibson

guitar, they might go elsewhere, for the "better one," later/next time!

Otherwise, as I stated, I LOVE the guitar, itself! Tone, playability,

and even the overall look, is just Great!

CB

for a couple of months, due to the flooding. I was afraid, they might

do that (rush them), but...was hoping, otherwise

Well it's too bad you had said that earlier CB.. I was some what disappointed to see the multi piece backs!

but I was kinda expecting what you show as all part and parcel to what Gibson referred to The Worn 50style finish.

I think your right though about the rushing them out the door didn't help even though as you say it's a great bang for the buck

it would have been nice to see them done a little better!

All in all just IMO I think Gibson should have handled the whole situation production and distribution

(taking in to consideration the flood) better. I just wish I could say I had one in hand...lol

Wow C.B. I see what you mean and acknowledge your honesty.

That is kinda a bummer that piece is like that, but if it took you till now to notice it, is it really that noticeable in person?

LOL...yeah, "Love" is blind (at first, anyway)! I actually didn't really notice

it, until I was polishing/cleaning it, yesterday. And, it's relatively small,

compared to the overall finished area. I just hate trying to "justify" (for Gibson)

their lack of QC, by saying it's "to be expected," and other such things, we all

seem to say, now and then, to give them the benefit, of the doubt, in these situations.

We become part of the problem, really, when we do that. But..."C'est La Vie!"

Well, I'm off, to play a wedding reception, in a neighboring town. Be my first chance

to use the Gold Top, "Live & Loud!" ;>)

CB

for a couple of months, due to the flooding.

I think that's why I'm fine waiting for mine to come in, rather than getting the first ones back off the line. Give them a little time to ramp up. Next month should be good.

And, while I appreciate your post above - honest assessment - my 339 from a few years ago is completely perfect.

One thing worth mentioning, and I have read it from some of you, is the fret work on these Tributes. It is really outstanding. I guess that Gibson paid much more attention on the frets than on the body and of the guitar. And in terms of playability, this does makes a great difference. Maybe I don't have enough experience to rate it by this being my second Gibson, but I have played others, and nothing compares to my GT.

Don't misunderstand me...I LOVE my "Gold Top," flaws and all. And, I'd never say, that Gibson doesn't make quality guitars, as we all know they DO! All I was saying, is that I wished they'd

have taken a bit more time, done them as good as

they can/could have, rather than let some get out,

that were less than they should have been...that's

all. I own a bunch, of Gibson's from all era's.

I love them ALL!

On the subject of multi-piece bodies...initially,

Gibson themselves, said they would be 2-piece bodies...now we're seeing as many as 5-piece

bodies. If they are going to "bait" us, with

claims, and then change spec's, so soon, that's

another slight "pet peeve," I have, nowadays.

The '50's Tributes are still great (USA made) guitars! Especially, for the price.

Cheers,

CB

Gibson themselves, said they would be 2-piece bodies...now we're seeing as many as 5-piece

That part of this REALLY bugs me...

If I do get this thing eventually (big if), and it's 5 pieces, I may take a pass.

Don't misunderstand me...I LOVE my "Gold Top," flaws and all. And, I'd never say, that Gibson doesn't make quality guitars, as we all know they DO! All I was saying, is that I wished they'd

have taken a bit more time, done them as good as

they can/could have, rather than let some get out,

that were less than they should have been...that's

all. I own a bunch, of Gibson's from all era's.

I love them ALL!

The '50's Tributes are still great (USA made) guitars! Especially, for the price.

Cheers,

CB

I tried to find the 2 piece body spec in the Gibson Tribute links, but I could not find it. Do you know were that is, just for the record?

I tried to find the 2 piece body spec in the Gibson Tribute links, but I could not find it. Do you know were that is, just for the record?

Well, I (now) have to eat a little crow, and scrape the egg off my face...the "2-piece body," statement, was from "Musician's Friend's" description, which was quoted on page 14, of this forum thread, and I (mistakenly) remebered it, either as being on the first page, under Gibson's initial blurb, about them, or their web-page description. [blush] Sorry, Gibson...and all here. My mistake! (Memory, is a terrible thing, to lose!) ;>b

But, it also makes me wonder, where MF got their information, regarding those specs? Maybe the original, pre-flood versions were "2-piece," and only later, did Gibson either decide to change that spec, or use the wood left, in pieces, to make them? Who knows? Sorry, for the confusion...mine, especially. LOL

CB

Archived