Gibson Brands Forums

World Cup...why?

deepblue

...I did grow up playing hockey...

Is that Ice-Hockey or Hockey hockey?

LOL!

C'mon guys. Ice-hockey is Ice-hockey. I get confused when you'all (is that correct?) talk US-English!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the US might not take soccer seriously, but the rest of the world definitely does. Case in point, back in 1994 a Colombian player accidentally scored a goal on his own team which cost them the game against the US, causing them to get knocked out in the 1st round. He was later shot to death in Colombia by an irate fan because of it.

Imagine being in grecce when they won the world cup.

Most crazy expirence in my life.

Ive never seen people go so crazy.

That was the European Championships in 2004, not the World Cup. Never seen so many Greek flags as then.

Yep gotta agree soccer is a pretty boring sport and it's not anything like American Football. Soccer is a lot more popular now as a kids game and even up into college and that's cool as it seems to be a very healthy sport. Many of us that our American and a little older definitely don't get the worlds interest in soccer and the World Cup. I have never watched a World Cup game and don't see that changing.

When I was growing up soccer was what all the wimpy kids that could not play sports played in PE while the rest of us played competitive sports.

One of the things that intrigues us Europeans about 'American Rules Football' is why on Earth the players need to sit down for ten minutes to have a rest after each 30 seconds of actual play...are they really that tired-out?

They ought to work-out more.

Yep gotta agree soccer is a pretty boring sport and it's not anything like American Football. Soccer is a lot more popular now as a kids game and even up into college and that's cool as it seems to be a very healthy sport. Many of us that our American and a little older definitely don't get the worlds interest in soccer and the World Cup. I have never watched a World Cup game and don't see that changing.

When I was growing up soccer was what all the wimpy kids that could not play sports played in PE while the rest of us played competitive sports.

Soccer might be boring to some people, but I would argue that it is the most athletic sport. I would challenge any professional athlete in American Football, Baseball, or Basketball to try and play a full game of soccer (futbol). One big difference between American Football and Soccer, is you can't be 300+ pounds and play professional soccer.

And in baseball, I would say more than 50% of the time you are either sitting on the bench, or standing on the field not doing anything unless you are pitching or catching.

Basketball might be the closest thing to soccer in terms of athleticism, but a basketball court is a lot smaller than a soccer field, and they play for a shorter period of time.

I was just playin...i'm not much of a sports guy myself but I did grow up playing hockey so I have a soft spot for it.

Is the soft spot from all of the blunt trauma you received? Those hockey pucks really hurt!

(Oh' date=' and if you played field-hockey, replace "pucks" with "balls." The concept's the same. [angry )

Is the soft spot from all of the blunt trauma you received? Those hockey pucks really hurt!

(Oh' date=' and if you played field-hockey, replace "pucks" with "balls." The concept's the same. [biggrin )

Well I was a goalie and yes i got brained a few times along the way...

Late summer of '61 I put my stuff into a dorm room in western Massachusetts in what definitely seemed a foreign country compared to the Northern Plains. Dad was in grad school and this was the alternative to a public high school with more kids than what I was used to in the whole town.

Sports were mandatory so I signed up for football. I was way small for my age, but I'd played it and gotten whupped before, so I figured you don't stop rodeoing until the season's over whether you buck off and get run down or not.

The big sport? Soccer. In winter hockey, in spring lacrosse. I figured later that soccer was far to wimpy for real Americans, but that lacrosse looked like a way a lotta kids could have fun whippin' the snot outa each other.

I was wrong.

Mommies who didn't want their babies hurt promoted the game. Lower age groups they don't even keep score in case a kid's ego might be hurt by losing. Where I live in a real rodeo town, more than a third of the kids in the school district play club soccer; it's just been approved as a state-sanctioned school sport. Lacrosse? Few people around here have ever seen it played.

Oh - the time outs and stuff? In ways American football is like sumo crossed with sprints. It's incredibly intense and the added padding and equipment does whip the energy out of you. Those guys are in shape, just in a different way. Rugby or Australian Rules are somewhat similar, but without the constant head-on team-on-team clashes that increasingly separated "American" football.

m

Jeff....

Yeah - except I useta hear tales from my Grandpa who played football prior to WWI. It was a way different sorta game but still had the basic pattern we have now in spite of an egg-shaped ball and 3 downs for a first down.... hitting in the line, etc. Although some of their "forward pass" plays involved tossing a back along with the ball. <grin>

But then I'm also so old that we still had some leather helmets at school, face guards were considered wussie and game jerseys were wool... Seriously, we played the 30s single wing game and sometimes a sidesaddle T.

The commercials were mostly a tv invention along with a lotta other stuff. <bigger grin>

m

Jeff....

Yeah - except I useta hear tales from my Grandpa who played football prior to WWI. It was a way different sorta game but still had the basic pattern we have now in spite of an egg-shaped ball and 3 downs for a first down.... hitting in the line' date=' etc. Although some of their "forward pass" plays involved tossing a back along with the ball. <grin>

But then I'm also so old that we still had some leather helmets at school, face guards were considered wussie and game jerseys were wool... Seriously, we played the 30s single wing game and sometimes a sidesaddle T.

The commercials were mostly a tv invention along with a lotta other stuff. <bigger grin>

m

[/quote']

I knew where you were coming from I just wanted to goad you a bit. The game has definitely evolved (I would say devolved with all the showboating and whining about more money and not willing to take a hit over the middle *glares at pansy wide receivers*).

Yeah....

Even from when I played there's a huge diff. Those face masks are one thing.

Since I was quick, but way little for my age, my job in the backfield on offense was pretty simple - lead through a hole at the line and toss myself at somebody's knees. They tell me that's illegal nowadays. <grin>

One good change? Are you old enough to remember the stink of your leather and cotton batting pads? I wonder sometimes what kept the whole body from rotting by the end of the season. Maybe it's 'cuz we were young.

m

When will the world realize that soccer isnt that popular a sport in north america.

Every four years its rammed down our throats....its going to be a looong summer. [crying]

i cant stand the game but trust me, growing up in the UK, we were constantly having american crap shoved down our throats. Be it NFL, WWF, or some really naff soap opera like dallas, dynasty etc etc.. mmm maybe showing my age now...

actually, is american football not just rugby for wimps wearing padding??

When will the world realize that soccer isnt that popular a sport in north america.

Every four years its rammed down our throats....its going to be a looong summer. [biggrin]

The world doesn't revolve around North America.

Archived