Gibson Brands Forums

Tony Iommi Appreciation Thread

SGSpecialguy

well instead of continuing to highjack someone elses thread I decided to start a thread here,, there is probably nobody who was more influential on my particular style of play then Tony, to have started in the 60's and still to this day put out amazing current works is totally amazing, so many come and go but he's stayed true to his roots and still amazes me,, I love his early stuff but even his current work is something,,

this song has wonderful opening tones on the neck pickup and branches into many different parts with some amazing riffage

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

one of my ALL time favorites

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReuBms-qZQk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

They have some amazing songs' date=' yet it seems they only play a select few on the radio ( Ironman & Paranoid)

Theres so much more to them then that.[/quote']

I agree, every time there is a Black Sabbath thread it is just a matter of minutes before the same ol' songs show up, it makes me wonder if a lot of people that like Black Sabbath have actually listened to their full albums. There are so many good songs with great sounding riffs and lyrics.

Even some of the stuff they got into in albums like Technical Ectasy and Never Say Die is quite interesting, at leats now in retrospective.

I grew up in the 80's so the album Heaven and Hell was the stuff I knew in real time, still a classic on my book.

Tony Iommi is definitely one of my top favorite guitarists, the ultimate riffmaster.

I agree' date=' every time there is a Black Sabbath thread it is just a matter of minutes before the same ol' songs show up, it makes me wonder if a lot of people that like Black Sabbath have actually listened to their full albums.

[/quote']

A lot of that may be due to the low resources of material (Sabbath's mass catalog of songs) on YouTube.com to link to. [cool]

Yes, I completely agree, Technical Ecstasy & Never Say Die have some awesome tracks and playing but are ignored by most. Probably because they don't sound all "doomy" like Black Sabbath album. Most people think of Master of Reality when talking about about the overall sound of Sabbath.

Look at most of the Doom Metal bands that mirror Sabbath, like Pentagram. They took the Master of Reality sound and ran with it but Sabbath actually had many songs that were more upbeat.

I do like Doom Metal and Pentagram too, but just using it as an example of how Sabbath gets pigeonholed.

I just purchased the heaven and hell live at the radio city music hall dvd and watched it last night.I am also an Iommi fan,always have been.I am not much for Ozzy or ozzy's vocals,but the music Iommi made on his own,with others and with Dio is all great stuff.

Another always forgotten Sabbath album that was kicking! Born Again

Most people say "Trashed" or "Zero The Hero" but for me "Disturbing The Priest" was my fav track on the album.

I thought Ian Gillan did a great job fronting Sabb, I would have liked to of heard another album with him on it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeaSQSAKYAs[/YOUTUBE]

Most people say "Trashed" or "Zero The Hero" but for me "Disturbing The Priest" was my fav track on the album.

I thought Ian Gillan did a great job fronting Sabb' date=' I would have liked to of heard another album with him on it.[/quote']

Or Digital *****....

I have the vinyl, I do not think they ever made a USA CD version, I have only seen the import version.

I like that album.

I thought Ian Gillan did a great job fronting Sabb' date=' I would have liked to of heard another album with him on it.

[/quote']

I saw that concert tour. It was very good and Ian was too. They played a lot of Born Again and a bunch of Ozzy tunes but only one Dio song. Heaven and Hell.

Here is one of Tony's all time best IMO.

You can fast forward to about 1:55 if you want to go to the solo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbxcNZiFGB0[/YOUTUBE]

Archived