Gibson Brands Forums

OK ... it's a Fender but what do you think?

DeVeeWee

I've been thinking/dreaming a long time now of these two Leo's but I can't decide which one of the 2, I really want to be mine in ................the next 10 years:-" Any support/advice will be appreciated!:-k[drool]

American Custom '62 Telecaster

AmericanVintage62CustomTelecaster.jpg

Custom '63 NOS Telecaster

FenderTelecaster63NOS.jpg

You won't be disappointed with either but I'd go with this one:

Custom '63 NOS Telecaster

FenderTelecaster63NOS.jpg

And yes, it's a Fender, but everyone should have a counterpoint to their Gibbys. Could be a Fender, a Rick, PRS...whatever makes you feel it. Seems like you're feeling the Tele.

saturn,they they both have the ashtray , it's just a promopicture with one onto the body, but nevertheless I like them both without! And as you mention, there seems to be no major difference between them except for the body finish...:-k

Zenken, my first love is the sonic blue also until I saw the custom last week! [biggrin]

I love those white bindings!

American63CustomTelecasterII.jpg

Zenken' date=' my first love is the sonic blue also until I saw the custom last week! :-k

I love those white bindings!

[/quote']

Ever think about assembling one yourself? Warmoth has some sweet options for bodies. Bindings, exotic woods, etc. You won't save money (heck, you may even spend more). But you can get the best of all worlds when you pick out all the components yourself. [biggrin]

I've been thinking/dreaming a long time now of these two Leo's but I can't decide which one of the 2' date=' I really want to be mine in ................the next 10 years:-" Any support/advice will be appreciated![cool[biggrin]

Each guitar has it's own personality. I would try lots and see what speaks to you rather than buying off the picture.

Warmoth make fantastic necks' date=' there bodies not so much....[/quote']

Not sure I agree with you 100% on your view of Warmoth bodies there:

blond_thinline_reduced.jpg

I know people like a lipstick neck pickup - and it's very much part of the Tele cachet, but a Charlie Christian is a great replacement in my view - covers a lot more ground.

RN

I know people like a lipstick neck pickup - and it's very much part of the Tele cachet' date=' but a Charlie Christian is a great replacement in my view - covers a lot more ground.

RN

[/quote']

Maybe Warmoth Tele bodies are ok, but their Strats are all over the place.

I custom ordered a light alder/ vintage white.

The colour was fine when received, but all six of the vintage trem screws came through into

the trem spring cavity, so they are NOT built to Fenders specifications. I wrote to them and they

even said as much to me...I asked why they dont post it on their site?

"Not 100% to Fender Specs"...yet, Warmoth is licensed by Fender??

Long story short, the neck is amazing. Stunning AAA maple...The body has 6 tiny holes that

drive me nuts. lol

I always liked the Tele and the Mustang from Fender.

I am planning to own a tele one day...I just haven't found "the one" yet.

I like that 63, very nice looking. I don't like the covered bridge look on a tele.

Plus, it would make it uncomfortable for me to palm mute.

I always liked the Tele and the Mustang from Fender.

I am planning to own a tele one day...I just haven't found "the one" yet.

I like that 63' date=' very nice looking. I don't like the covered bridge look on a tele.

Plus, it would make it uncomfortable for me to palm mute.[/quote']

Bridge covers on Tele's are removable...

CB

Well...you know, I know this isn't helpful, but I like both!

The rosewood in that picture was so dark that at first I thought it was ebony. I checked the Fender site, and nope! Rosewood--and of course, an ebony board on a Tele would be awesome, IMO, but the fact that it's rosewood makes it no easier for me to give advice...sorry. They're both so nice! :-

What's the bonus to playing with the cover "on"?

None, really. They were for "additional sheilding," and protection of the saddles,

etc. But, most players take them off, myself included. They do look nice, in a

"Finished" sort of way. Strat's had them, too...initially.

CB

The '62 Custom has double binding on the body' date=' right?! (They used to, anyway) I always liked that...

Keep thinking I'll get one of those, "one of these days"...like so many other of my "wants" as opposed

to "needs!" ;>)

CB[/quote']

@ CB, that double white binding is a killer for me too!

@ Robin: man, that is just an awesome guitar you have there! I like the combination of the body and the neck inlays very much, kinda tex-mex style! The problem with me is, I'm not really a good craftsman, and I'm not interested in those kind of things, and what I've learned in life is ... when there's no interest, it can't be good!

@ all: thx for the input guys!

I know people like a lipstick neck pickup - and it's very much part of the Tele cachet' date=' but a Charlie Christian is a great replacement in my view - covers a lot more ground.

RN[/quote']

That looks like a USA Custom neck, no?

Archived