Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups!

Kazue

I have Burstbucker Pro's in my les paul and they sound great, but I play alot of metal mostly and was wondering what you guy's take would be on maybe switching out to Seymour Blackouts or EMG's, I have EMG's in my Epi Les Paul Prophecy and they sound pretty good, but I'm scared of messing with my "baby", my Gibson that is :) ideas?

I would not do that to any of my Gibsons. but that's me. An Epi , ok , but with the amount of work needed. new wire, pots,the pups & the work involved. If you really want it than go for it. it's your axe. i think most of the people here are not fans of EMG's and such. so ..... go with what you like.

I say no go.

I have Burstbucker Pro's in my les paul and they sound great' date=' but I play alot of metal mostly and was wondering what you guy's take would be on maybe switching out to Seymour Blackouts or EMG's, I have EMG's in my Epi Les Paul Prophecy and they sound pretty good, but I'm scared of messing with my "baby", my Gibson that is [biggrin] ideas?[/quote']

If youre into Metal why not. To me, thats all active electronics are good for.

Id never do it, but I dont play metal with my historic.

There are plenty of HO passive pickups out there too...shop around.

By far the most important aspect of an instrument is how it sounds.

If you don't like the sound yours makes then it's worth trying out how to make it sound better.

If you like EMG's then try it.

It's not as if the alteration is irreversible if you change your mind (as long as you keep the original fittings).

....keeping it "Gibson"' date=' put 490R/498T's in it...[/quote']

Yup.

...or even the oft-despised 500T / 496R ceramics out of a 1960 Classic.

Most swap them out because they are too hot.

I think I'm going to look into those 500T and 496R, thanks for the input guys! This forum is so much more useful than Ultimate-Guitar's :)

One other question tho, can you put the chrome covers over those pups? I think they may look odd in my les paul all naked like that :- haha, sorry for all the noob questions btw :D

Guest BentonC

You can put covers on the 496/500 pickup set. You'll need one neck position and one bridge position cover (they need to be soldered, so have a trusted tech do it if you've not done it before- it might save you the trouble of needing them re-potted from accidentally melting the wax... yes, that is a mistake I've made).

I heard them in an Epi Les Paul Prophecy' date=' the GX with them, I have the EX version with the EMG's and the EMG's seem meaner :)[/quote']

Yeah but i can put emg's on a dead carcass with strings and then put it on a les paul R9 and ill get the same tones.

IMHO EMG's are the worst pickups for metal and clean tone.

And dont talk to me about the famous people that use them.

Look at the amps they use, Kerry Kings amp is so ****ing amazing that he could use a ****ing begginer guitar on it.

I have Burstbucker Pro's in my les paul and they sound great' date=' but I play alot of metal mostly and was wondering what you guy's take would be on maybe switching out to Seymour Blackouts or EMG's, I have EMG's in my Epi Les Paul Prophecy and they sound pretty good, but I'm scared of messing with my "baby", my Gibson that is :P ideas?[/quote']

i have reversed zebra burst-bucker and open coil burst-buckers in my GM sig les paul and IMO sound better than the pups in my 08 standard, i can't for one minute imagine why you would want to change them [confused]

i play heavy stuff too...

Wellll I ordered me some Dirty Fingers [blink] I was wondering though, on the Epi Prophecy model the pole pieces come gold O.o but the picture on the ones on the Gibson site and the place I ordered mine from seem to silver but its hard to tell :/ if they come gold is it possible to swap pole pieces from one pickup to another?? or will it destroy my tone? or can it even be done xD?

Yeah but i can put emg's on a dead carcass with strings and then put it on a les paul R9 and ill get the same tones.

IMHO EMG's are the worst pickups for metal and clean tone.

And dont talk to me about the famous people that use them.

Look at the amps they use' date=' Kerry Kings amp is so ****ing amazing that he could use a ****ing begginer guitar on it. [/quote']

Interesting, doesn't David Gilmour use active EMG pickups?

EMG's are great for metal although I would not mess with your paul. As soon as you change your pickups (which is easy to do if you know how to solder) you drastically decrease the value of your les paul. Exception to this is, if your a major recording artist then you can do whatever you like. Flip side if this is your main axe and you do alot of gigs and your not concerned about ever selling your axe ever then go for it. Alternate of course is to buy a really great distortion/overdrive pedal and get your sound that way.

Well after much consideration I went with the gibson dirty fingers :( thnx to the dem00n who mentioned them, made me look a lot more into them.. and I'm not sure what creates the immense difference in sound between my Gibson and the Epi with the dirty fingers ( wood and construction? ) but WOW is all I can say. This pickups are HOT! they sound soooo much better than my EMGs in my other guitars! I left the pickup covers off, I may go back and put them on one day but I kinda like this look, its different :]

36103_139095959437745_100000120262256_402516_3029671_n.jpg

35742_139095839437757_100000120262256_402515_1091776_n.jpg

Interesting' date=' doesn't David Gilmour use active EMG pickups?[/quote']

The list of amps he uses.

Hiwatt (main) DR 103 heads into WEM Super Starfinder 200 4x12 cabinets loaded with Fane Crescendo speakers

Fender '56 Tweed Twin amp (used for smaller concerts)

Fender Twin Reverb combos

Fender Twin Reverb II 1983 105 W heads

Fender Bluesmaster

Fender Blues Jr.

Mesa Boogie Mark II C+

Alembic F2-B bass preamp

Custom-built 'Doppola' rotating speakers (driven by the Hiwatt heads)

Gallien/Krueger 250 ML combo amp

Selmer Stereomaster 100 W

Maestro Rover rotating speaker

Leslie speaker 147 cabinet

Marshall Late 60s super lead 100 W head

Yamaha RA-200 revolving speaker cabinet

Magnatone 280-A 50 W combo

Alessandro Bluetick Coonhound High-End, 20 W Tube Amp

Hiwatt SA212 combo

Might as well put squier pups in his guitar.

Archived