Gibson Brands Forums

Your first guitar, and do you still own it?

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first guitar was a cheap acoustic that I bought for $1 from a kid down the street. The neck broke years ago. My first electric was a "Grandpa Pidgeons" special.

My first real electric was a Les Paul Copy Electra Omega.

All of the above have gone by the wayside.

my first was a jackson, pointy headstock and trans-red finish and it was love at first sight...i recently (at the time) saw (no doubt) in concert and a few weeks later i was walking down TIN PAN ALLY in londons west end and see this gorgeous guitar...it called to me [confused] and i thought "i want to play this instrument" so i bought it and the next day i called up a guitar teacher and the rest is history...

i listened to guitar music since i was a kid and gary moore got me interested BUT it was the "no doubt" gig that made up my mind...:P

I don't think to many people can make that claim. Man' date=' playing a guitar till it dies and is beyond repair, that's dedication at it's finest. [cool']

While I did play it a lot, I think it also says a bit about the quality of the guitar as well. [cool]

But as I remember it it sounded pretty good and played well when it was still fully functional.

I love how many started with copies and hand me downs.

I got my grandfather's beat up practice nylon.

Then a friend that had awesome acoustics gave me his first steel string, which became my first steel string, an Aria.

I got a cheap strat copy to see if electric would be as much fun as it seemed.

Still have them all. Only grandfather's is worth keeping.

When I was 14 years old I went out and got my first job. With my first paycheck I bought one of those Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitars. It was black. I still have that guitar today, I'm 26 now. The only thing is, the guitar is completely unplayable because one day I thought it would be a good idea to sand down the finish and just have the guitar naturally stained. Well I messed the guitar up pretty bad because for some reason now you can't adjust the bridge, it just wont thread at all. the neck is also screwed up pretty bad, and the nut broke. So instead of spending the money to fix up a cheap P.O.S. I just decided to leave it like it is. I was just a stupid kid when I messed the guitar up, now I look back and think what the hell was I thinking, but at the time it seemed like a good idea lol. Even thought the guitar is unplayable, I still can't bring myself top throw it away because it was my first guitar. That was the guitar I learned how to play on.

My first real electric was a Les Paul Copy Electra Omega.

Hey LP' date=' my second guitar was an Electra X330 mpc. It was the one with the FX modules in the back. I bought it back in 79 and thought it was the coolest state of the art guitar.

here's my son posing with it back in 87.

[img']http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/cookieman15061/IMG_0429.jpg[/img]

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Sho - I think you're right in saying that "playing a guitar until it died" might have a little something to do with the quality of the guitar.

Still, that is some serious dedication regardless.

Peace

Hey LP' date=' my second guitar was an Electra X330 mpc. It was the one with the FX modules in the back. I bought it back in 79 and thought it was the coolest state of the art guitar.

here's my son posing with it back in 87.

[img']http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/cookieman15061/IMG_0429.jpg[/img]

Cool, mine was a Curly Maple Natural Top with the 5-position pu selector switch. Didn't have enough money to get the one with the modules in the back. Also, I was more into foot pedals as I still am (see signature)

Archived