Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on LP Custom purchase

guitarworld

I am considering my next purchase, which will probably be an LP Custom. Any advice on buying these guitars either new or secondhand? Is it true that the older customs can be a better buy, compared to the brand new ones now available? Also are there any differences in tone, quality between the older and newer models? I would appreciate any feedback/advice anyone can give. [cool][smile]

Youd really have to play all guitars involved. They are all different.

You can get a good deal on older ones, but be careful. The fake market grows stronger every day.

The new ones are amazing. Gibson in the past ten years or so are making the best guitars they have ever made.

The new ones are amazing. Gibson in the past ten years or so are making the best guitars they have ever made.

I agree and after playing used guitars most of my life, have bought a few new ones in the last few years.

I bought my LP standard use. It was only a year old and in excellent condition. The only problem I had with buying used was it took me almost 18 months to find what I was looking for at the price I was willing to pay. If you are not in a big hurry used is the way to go.

Like all Gibsons, there is tremendous variability with Customs. One thing to be mindful of, the 50s reissue bodies are generally all-mahogany, which is darker, with less bite than the 68 reissue or the production Customs, which have a maple top like the Standards & reissues. Beyond that, there are other features, like weight relief, etc. that can alter tone. You just need to study up, play a lot of them and you'll find the one you're looking for.

I note that you are in the UK.

The price of good quality s/h Customs here is getting very near to the best deal you can get on a new one. I'd advise you to go new. I had been thinking about buying one for myself so have done a little bit of research on the matter!

As has been said; the new ones are some of the best instruments Gibson has ever made.

A lot of the older ones may well have issues and if you buy new at least you know what you are getting. Also there are a lot of pretty awful used ones on the UK market at the moment which are being touted as 'Vintage' in the hope of raising their price. Don't Be Fooled! LOL!

Good luck hunting.

Wow, they deleted my post. Was it because of the MF or because I said Gibson guitars depreciate?

No its coz your a pond scum sucking buttwipe, who likes to urinate in everyone else cornflakes, - while tooting his own horn! Maybe posters are just sick of you and your always negative contributions.

You could always just leave! Ohh and don't let the door hit you in the back on the way out!

Someone had to say it!

Cheers!

I note that you are in the UK.

The price of good quality s/h Customs here is getting very near to the best deal you can get on a new one. I'd advise you to go new. I had been thinking about buying one for myself so have done a little bit of research on the matter!

As has been said; the new ones are some of the best instruments Gibson has ever made.

A lot of the older ones may well have issues and if you buy new at least you know what you are getting. Also there are a lot of pretty awful used ones on the UK market at the moment which are being touted as 'Vintage' in the hope of raising their price. Don't Be Fooled! LOL!

Good luck hunting.

+1........also if you can go the extra cash end of last year I bought a new 57 VOS.

The quality of it is outstanding in every way & the aging is very subtle and looks fab if you want a new Guitar with the look of an old one.

I bought mine from Guitar Village in Farnham....got a good deal IMO £2800.

However they have gone up a wee bit since then but they are open to some haggling!!

VOS10.jpg

VOS12-1.jpg

VOS11.jpg

Or if you don't fancy an all Mahogany beast like mine how about this??? In Stock!!

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=8513&catid=78&manid=119&quantity=1&product=Gibson+Les+Paul+Aged+Custom+%28HB114C%29%2C+Classic+Vintage+White%2C+New%2C+Inc%2E+Case+%26+COA

Or fancy a 60's neck??

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=8827&catid=78&manid=119&quantity=1&product=Gibson+Les+Paul+Custom+Shop+Special+Order+57+Reissue+VOS+Darkback+Goldtop+w%2FSlim+Neck%2C+Antique+Gold%2C+New%2C+Inc%2E+Case

Lovely '57, bucketbot.

...I bought mine from Guitar Village in Farnham....got a good deal IMO £2800.

However they have gone up a wee bit since then but they are open to some haggling!!

Hmmm.....I've some friends who live in Farnham that I haven't seen in ages.

Perhaps I should suggest a trip down there to the wife....?

Thanks to all for the replies,

I think the general concensus is to buy new!! I am now going to try out as many as I can, and keep on looking online. I did actually have a White LP Custom in '79. Irony is, I didn't know what it was then. #-o I bought it for £200 in a local music shop, the man said it was a Les Paul, and boy was it heavy. I basically needed a guitar for a punk group I was in. I didn't have a clue what it was, I just played it. It didn't have a TRC, only the Gibson logo on the headstock, so I new it was a Gibson. It was in quite a tatty condition, but hey, it looked good in a punk group. I had it until '85, when the headstock broke off, and I then dumped it.:-& :-& I wish I had known what I know now. Nevermind, the next one I get I will treat like royalty. LOL, thanks again. [biggrin][smile]

Think about what you'd really like as far as details. Solid mahagony body or weight relieved? Weight relieved is usually between 9 and 10lbs. What kind of neck?(most are either slim taper 60's or fat 50's - there are a few other variations). What kind of tone are you going for? Maybe check out and play a few Les Pauls with different pickup configurations. Currently a Les Paul Custom model comes stock with the 490R/498T combo and they are pretty powerful (you can always change out the pickups if you like - keep in mind it voids the warranty though). Just a few ideas for you [biggrin]

Lovely '57' date=' bucketbot.

Hmmm.....I've some friends who live in Farnham that I haven't seen in ages.

Perhaps I should suggest a trip down there to the wife....?[/quote']

Sounds like a plan!!! :-$ Leave wife with friends & sneak off :D .......returning later with said guitar & explanation such as:

"It was such a bargain I just had to dear!!!" :^o :^o :)

I think I'll go for ebony and gold!!

I did just recently. Landed here for the equivalent of $2411 English Pounds

That's a little less than the equivalent of the 2800 pounds quoted above tho.

The $US isn't travelling too well ATM. There's a good chance by the end of this month it could crash badly - which as long as the pound doesn't go with it would be the time to buy one from the US and have it shipped it would seem.

I saved about 940 english pounds equivalent over buying it from the local guitar shop by importing one from the US.

So...

I know you said Black & Gold (and that's what i bought).......but - might you not considered this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-SHOP-1968-HISTORIC-68-RARE-/270593949552?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3f00a7ff70

3295 U.S. dollars = 2 228.45935 British pounds

2010 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM SHOP 1968 HISTORIC 68 RARE!

VERY RARE CLASSIC WHITE FINISH w/ GOLD HARDWARE! SWEET!

Now THAT is one sweet looking Gibson custom shop Les Paul brand new, never played with all the case candy and certificate of authenticity etc.

OV2%20(2)%20blocked.jpg

I know from recent experience that you won;t have any probs buying from this seller.

GibsonLP1.jpg

The ebony ones are pretty nice too...

I just saw that white 68 and it kinda caught my eye.

Good luck with whatever you do - you would need to check on freight and any import duties and taxes payable (VAT?) as they would affect your final price also.

But If i were you I'd wait till the end of June at least and see what happens to the $US coz if it drops a LOT (and it could with this gulf oil spill business, and trouble in the middle east and the 2 Koreas etc), then you would stand to do considerably better maybe in the conversion rate.

Good luck what ever you do!

Cheers!

I bought mine from Guitar Village in Farnham....got a good deal IMO £2800.

I'm sure I've asked this question before and I'm sure it's been answered before but I can't recall. Do you gents in the UK know how much tax/duty is added to a US made guitar that is purchased/shipped from the US? The reason I ask is because - according to today's exchange rate' date=' £2,800 = $4,150US. You can buy a brand new '57 Custom for $3,400US = £2,300, or a brand new '68 Custom for $3,000US = £2,025 from the states...not including shipping.

Heck, I'd gladly receive a guitar for you and then ship it to the UK if it meant you lads would save a few bucks. Problem is, we here in Ontario get hosed with 13% sales tax and there's no real way around it. It's not like in the US where if you buy from a state that you don't live in, you don't pay any sales tax.

Nah' date=' the server farted again - it happened to a bunch of posts at the same time.[/quote']

I guess when a forum is so full of crap, farts are inevitable. :)

Think about what you'd really like as far as details. Solid mahagony body or weight relieved? Weight relieved is usually between 9 and 10lbs.

Maybe it's also worth pointing out that '57 Customs also weigh around the same - usually 9 - 10 lbs - but they can also dip into the mid 8 lb range. '68s can weigh as much as 12 lbs. My '68 is 9.5 lbs and the store I bought it from said that's the lightest they've seen in a while.

Since we're on the topic of Customs...:)

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

I love this thing! I put RS pots/caps in it. It was great before but better now.

I think I'm also going to swap the pickups - not because it needs them, just because I want to try some Sheptones/Throbaks.

R9 you have a beautiful black Custom and they look better when the binding yellows. Me, I wouldn't change the guitar, sort the amp/pedals out. LP's always sound great and part of what makes them great is they all sound a bit different.

R9 yes things are dear in the dear old UK most of the time,

I'm getting a brand new 2010 Gibson Les paul custom in ebony delivered here tomorrow. £2499 GBP!! Wow what's all the histeria about. The UK is falling apart, the US is falling apart!! Gimme a break the world depends on certain things.

Maybe not the UK and US! Australia watch out my friends!!

Musical love to all, Pictures soon to follow!!

Archived