Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Gibson's Editor of Social Media

jimmiJAMM

Just curious, has anyone else received an email from Mr. Sean dooley? :-k

It seems he wanted to say hello and let me know that he appreciates my enthusiasm for this forum. [thumbup]

It made me feel so special I almost forgot i've been suspended twice so far... :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Now that's funny!

Hey, I'm new here...cut me a little slack. Just trying to reach out a little, do a bit of social networking with my fellow Gibson brethren.

Peace...

Sean

Just trying to reach out a little' date=' do a bit of social networking with my fellow Gibson brethren.[/quote']

I wrote back didn't I? I think it's cool that you're reaching out. Just wondered if anyone else around here had heard from you is all. Oh, and yes, I've played in a few bands but not for some time now. More of a casual home-jammer these daze. Thankfully my neighbors don't really notice (I live in an apartment building) because I plug into my iMac and use headphones. GarageBand has endless amp mods so it actually sounds like I'm playing huge arenas.

Fyi - My brief suspensions were in fact my own doing because a few topics touched on political ground and as an engaged and astute American, I voiced my opinions. Perhaps a bit too strongly. Anyway, it's all good. Rules are rules and when broken we must accept our fate.

I think a Social Media role at a company would be very difficult. Sure it sounds like fun....they get to play on Facebook,Twitter, MySpace etc all day long....But at some point, results have to be delivered...from what I have seen, most businesses who do the social networking thing are having a hard time with this...

Does Social Networking increase sales? Awareness? What is the goal? Does it even work?

My company has started it....and 3 months in....i'm pretty sure the only people signed up for "tweets" and "Likes" are employees of my company LOL! I expect this is the same for MANY organizations. We don't see to end users you see, we do B2B sales....

It might be different with a company like Gibson though....not really sure...i'm interested in what drives the perceived need for Social networking/media within an organization.

I saw a very interesting short video on Social Networking for companies...called "7 Harsh Realities in Social Media" - its European but I believe the principles are the same. Check it out.

IMHO, tweeting is retarded. Facebook's pretty cool in small doses. MySpace is on it's last legs and Linkedin is a nice concept but not that helpful. Here's a crazy Social Networking idea... get together with other people in person or call them and have a conversation.

This world needs more "actual" reality, "real" interaction and less veiled personas pecking away behind screens.

Just curious' date=' has anyone else received an email from Mr. Sean dooley? [biggrin

It seems he wanted to say hello and let me know that he appreciates my enthusiasm for this forum. :)

It made me feel so special I almost forgot i've been suspended twice so far... [sad]

I didn't get one either and I been here since day one, never been suspended.... I have had 2 or 3 useful posts out of some 4633 odd posts....[biggrin] I guess I'm considered a forgenior...[biggrin]

I think a Social Media role at a company would be very difficult. Sure it sounds like fun....they get to play on Facebook' date='Twitter, MySpace etc all day long....But at some point, results have to be delivered...from what I have seen, most businesses who do the social networking thing are having a hard time with this...

Does Social Networking increase sales? Awareness? What is the goal? Does it even work?

My company has started it....and 3 months in....i'm pretty sure the only people signed up for "tweets" and "Likes" are employees of my company LOL! I expect this is the same for MANY organizations. We don't see to end users you see, we do B2B sales....

It might be different with a company like Gibson though....not really sure...i'm interested in what drives the perceived need for Social networking/media within an organization.

I saw a very interesting short video on Social Networking for companies...called "7 Harsh Realities in Social Media" - its European but I believe the principles are the same. Check it out.

Interesting points.

But I'll admit since joining the Gibby and Epi forums 1.75 years ago, I have purchased two used Epiphones, and four new Gibson guitars..... It makes me wonder if I would have made those acquisitions if I hadn't been part of all this madness here[biggrin]

So if this is Gibson's intention to provoke sales through their forums, well it certainly has worked on yours truly... despite all the abuse[biggrin]

Interesting points.

But I'll admit since joining the Gibby and Epi forums 1.75 years ago' date=' I have purchased two used Epiphones, and four new Gibson guitars..... It makes me wonder if I would have made those acquisitions if I hadn't been part of all this madness here[biggrin']

So if this is Gibson's intention to provoke sales through their forums, well it certainly has worked on yours truly... despite all the abuse[biggrin]

Worked on me too....

Actually, I never knew this forum existed until I bought an SG and had a few questions. In fact, I stayed exclusively in the SG forum until I realized the topics here in the Lounge were much more varied and the characters more plentiful. I mean, after a while, how much can you really say about The legendary Gibson SG.

Blackie stumbled in here from the other forum as well... and speak of the devil... hope he's not out smashing a guitar over some dude's head.

I didn't get an email but I'm a mod' date=' I don't count as a real customer.

[/quote']

don't feel bad, I didn't get a email either[biggrin] ...... But I'm buying Gibson stuff, so I am a customer.... And being a customer, I hold Gibson to a high standard, and so far the buying experience has been pleasant, (with exception of the BucketHead sig model), but I held SweetWater responsible for that episode.

Anywhoo, as long as I receive the quality I expect, Gibson Customer Service won't be hearing from me.[biggrin]

Archived