Gibson Brands Forums

RE: 2008 Les Paul Standard

guitarworld

Hi Forum' date='

I hope there is someone from Gibsons Customer Service Team on line, because i need them to explain why they produced the Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008.

Les Paul is and will always be a person I respect in totality. His vision, mastery of the guitar, and legacy cannot be challenged or underrated, IMO.

I have always thought of Gibson as a company in the same way!!

I have been reading many posts deriding the 2008 Les Paul, you know the one with the neutrik locking jack, PCB, locking grovers etc. The thing is I actually bought one. I have also played a couple of Traditionals over the past few weeks and they are much better sounding guitars by far. Obviously they are NOT chambered, and they have a certain respect that this new incarnation clearly has not got. The actual description of my 2008 is : Gibson Les Paul Standard Professional with premium finish. I paid £250 more than for the traditional. (No doubt for the neutrik jack ; £3.44p, PCB and pots ; I've no idea, pots are pots, why change something when it ain't broke?? The locking grovers ; I can change 6 strings in 10 mins flat, I just don't like them or need them.

When I ordered my dream guitar, the Les Paul Standard, I actually received something totally different, why I don't know.:-s I have been trying to sell it, with no success, I'd rather have a secondhand beatup old ' proper' LP than this. [angry

Please could someone from Gibson give an explanation, as to why this particular model was actually produced?

Best Regards,

Guitarworld[biggrin] :-

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny." Frank Zappa

i have a 08 les paul standard..."old 08" NO neutrik locking jack, NO locking grovers...and i'm very happy with it.

jus sayin [biggrin]

018.jpg

021-1.jpg

It just doesnt get old....i laugh everytime i see the word "burg"....I think it should be the new slang word for a bad quality Les Paul...( Even though i have a harder time finding bad quality Lesters then the good ones.) "You may have just gota burgy Les Paul Standard dude' date=' but who knows"[/quote']

No, really - I've got an early chambered Les Paul (Oct 06) with a hunk of something in the chamber.

Gibson's response was pretty much like "too bad for you".

so getting back to Guitarworld's original post...

Guitarworld.. let me get this straight (since I've miss-read posts before)

You wanted a Les Paul Traditional but ended up with a Les Paul Standard?

This article might help:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/gibson/les_paul_traditional?doc_id=103910

spec's for standard.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519336

spec's for traditional

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Electric-Guitar?sku=519319

so getting back to Guitarworld's original post...

Guitarworld.. let me get this straight (since I've miss-read posts before)

You wanted a Les Paul Traditional but ended up with a Les Paul Standard?

This article might help:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/gibson/les_paul_traditional?doc_id=103910

Excellent article which I for one completely agree with.

Flavours for all: Studio' date=' Traditional, Standard & Custom Shop [cool

You pay your money and make you choice.

If my ES-339 had a burg in it, I'd just flip it over and dump it out.

Having said that, I LOVE the chambered Les Pauls. I think they resonate great, and I used to own a '72 (which wasn't Swiss cheesed, or chambered, hell it was just a solid burg with a maple cap.....)

[lol]

If my ES-339 had a burg in it' date=' I'd just flip it over and dump it out.

Having said that, I LOVE the chambered Les Pauls. I think they resonate great, and I used to own a '72 (which wasn't Swiss cheesed, or chambered, hell it was just a solid burg with a maple cap.....)

[lol

so you prefer chambered LP's over solid, or weight relieved?

so you prefer chambered LP's over solid' date=' or weight relieved? [/quote']

As of today, I would say yes.

My #1 is the ES-339, but I play the new Studio a lot. I almost bought an '08 Standard the day I bought the Studio, it was just before (last) Christmas and I needed the tax writeoff (I claim gigs).

The Standard was really nice, but I (would have) felt guilty spending that much on myself right before Christmas......

[blink]

As of today' date=' I would say yes.

My #1 is the ES-339, but I play the new Studio a lot. I almost bought an '08 Standard the day I bought the Studio, it was just before (last) Christmas and I needed the tax writeoff (I claim gigs).

The Standard was really nice, but I (would have) felt guilty spending that much on myself right before Christmas......

:-s

[/quote']

Thanks for the reply Murph, I really want to get a ES-137....2000$ for a custom Gibson is not bad at all! I've heard great things about them as well...But back to chambering, and the on going debate of how it effects tone, I feel i should put my input into the mix...Every chambered Paul I've played has sounded brighter and more "crisp" then the solid, and weight relieved LP's ..Not saying thats a bad thing at all, but every chambered Les paul has that tonal quality to my ears...while the solids or swiss holes, seem to have a more warmer, mellower, deeper tone. And when you think about it, it kind of makes sense (Though I'm no sound engineer). And I seem to have gotten more sustain with solids rather then chambered, witch contradicts Gibsons claim, of chambering adding sustain and resonance. Also i think i should add, that I've never had a bias with the standard, i think there beautiful, very well constructed guitars...and was actually planning on buying a standard before i got my Traditional. I have nothing against chambered guitars, but these are the tonal characteristics i have gotten from testing these Gibby's.

Hi Cdntac' date='

I didn't return it because I didn''t realise how different it was to a "normal" LP. I'll speak to Gibson.

[/quote']

"I didn''t realise how different it was to a "normal" LP"

Surely this statement says it all..............You haven't done your research before buying it.

You've just gone out and bought it cos it says standard on it and expected it to be the same guitar as when it was first produced all those years ago. The specs on the website clearly state that it has a neutrik jack and locking grovers on it and if you had seen any pics of it or visited a store to actually play one you would of noticed these things before you bought it.

As it has been previously said, You have a responsability as a consumer to research the product BEFORE you buy.

I'm not a Gibson Representative by any means ... I do; however, own 3 Less Paul's and at one time had 7. I like the locking grover tuners and neutrik jack, although they are not on any of mine, they sound like a good additive. I can tell you this about guitars, playing since 1966, never order a guitar. I don’t like the new chambers in the Paul’s but the sound is all in the wood. Some wood is denser and will create a better sound, even though it may be mahogany. You can go to any music store and try any two identical guitars and they will not sound the same. I have one Gold Top, copy of the 1954 Less Paul, which I bought in 1972 for $475.00. Still made by hand in Kalamazoo, at that time … this guitar is perfect. The wood, craftsmanship, whatever … I have never heard a Less Paul that sounds this good, never. I have been offered $7,500.00 for the guitar, since it is still original. I also have a 1972 Deluxe, which I have changed pick-ups on, added a graphite nut, etc… to get a better sound. Moral of the story, try the guitar before you buy it … Just because it’s a Less Paul, does not always make it sound great.

I completely agree in trying the guitars first, but alot of us do not have axcess to Gibson retailers. If thats the case i strongly advise doing hours of research of all the available guitars in your price range (wood, electrical components, finish etc.) and to study as many reviews by professionals as you can...In Omaha we only have one Gibson retailer, and there stock were mainly 2008, 2009 models that you could tell were tested HEAVILY by customers, so i tested the ones out that i was interested in, and bought the one i wanted online...Make sure to take FULL advantage of the return policy, I had to return an alpine white studio, and a studio deluxe before i ended up with the Heritage Cherry Studio Deluxe i have and love to this day...Buying online is not always bad and I've gotten the best traditional I've seen in person Online from American Musical Supply ( best online guitar retailer in my opinion)...Point of this story is to do your research until your brain cant absorb anymore and to exorcise your rights as a consumer...If your not 100% satisfied return it....

ps. I do not advise non-experts of guitars to shop on Craigslist, or Ebay...There are alot of scam artist and straight up liars out there that will say anything to make a buck....:-k

Archived