Gibson Brands Forums

Local Music Hero's

cookieman15061

Hmmm..... I currently live in Richmond where Lamb of God still resides. I grew up in Alexandria' date=' VA/DC, home of national acts like Darkest Hour... [/quote']

Bad Brains was from DC and Aimee Mann was from Richmond.

You said a mouthful' date=' brotha. Ann Arbor is a pathetic, shriveled up, not-even-a-shadow-of-what-it-used-to-be. There is virtually no remnant of any heritage of its onetime status as a center of rock and roll. Detroit, at least, still has a live music scene with a handful of cool venues.[/quote']I just wish I would have been born in the '70s, when the terms "Detroit Rock City" and "Motown" actually meant something!

Growing up in West Tennessee, the biggest local band was "Tennessee River Crooks," or "T R Crooks" as everyone called them. All through the 1970s, it seemed like they were just about to 'go large'. I remember hearing all kinds of stories, but I don't remember what really happened to them.

I grew up in Murfreesboro, TN(a few miles down the road from Nashville). We had "Spongebath Records" back in the 90's. The label had a handful of alt-rock bands that went on to do good things(Self, The Features, The Katies). Rolling Stone labeled Mboro "Little Seattle" back in the day. We also have Roland Gresham. He's a great jazz player. Supposedly he gave a guy named James Hendricks a couple of lessons back in the 60's...

Plus.. much more importantly.... we have the WORLD'S LARGEST CEDAR BUCKET!!!!

this is an awesome song!! i gotta check this band out... thanks glp1319 [biggrin]

NP. I don't mind helping a local band out...

Their website is www.theorangesky.com

They tour in the US as previously said.

Lou Gramm started out here before he joined Foreigner...

We also have Chuck Mangione, Brann Dailor from Mastodon, Gym Class Heroes, Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, Steve Gadd, and Son House (temporarily).

There was actually a tribute to Son House a few weeks ago that I wanted to, but couldn't, go to.

Wikipedia also lists Ace Frehley, but I read his article and see no mention of him even knowing where Rochester is.

There are a lot of jazz musicians, of course.

Dizzy Gillespie was from Cheraw, SC, John Coltrane was from Hamlet, NC (about 15 miles apart), and Thelonius Monk was from Rocky Mount, NC (just about a third of a state away).

From my home-town, Falkirk (a small place in the middle of Scotland), came these guys;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvqUeosajs[/YOUTUBE]

Nowadays I live in London so, just to make things more local, I'll choose someone who came from just along the road a mile or so;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--IqqusnNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Slight difference in their respective levels of 'Fame' attained, of course.

They didn't necessarily start there music careers here but some more of the people born and raised around B'More:

Frank Zappa

David Bynre

Rick Ocasek

Notice these are all really WEIRD musicians? Not sure what that says about my area :-k

Archived