Gibson Brands Forums

Famous on-stage attacks

Artie Owl

I saw Adam Ant (Dont judge) get assualted on stage at Massey Hall in the '80's.

Long story short...

The girl came out of nowhere, knocked Adam down and tried to kiss him and grab his *junk* all at the same time.

That alone, was worth the price of the ticket.

The famous on-stage attack I saw was Danzig on the Lucifuge tour, he was down on one knee at the edge of the stage singing while slapping hands with fans when some dude reached up and grabbed his cross and tried to pull it off him. Danzig punched the guy repeatedly on the top of his head and face until he let go of it.

What was funny was his mic was in his hand so you heard every hit on the sound system. LOL [sad]

Same show, Black Sabbath (Dehumanizer Tour), some guy jumped up on stage and grabbed Ronnie from behind, putting Dio up on his shoulders and started running around the stage until a bunch of security and crew got him cornered and he let Ronnie down. LOL - crazy night.

Plenty of musicians on stage have gotten pretty banged up on occasion as well. crowd surfing stage dives, falling off high platforms, broken legs, concussions... live performances can be dangerous but hey, that's rock-n-roll!

Yeah, Keef's a wild one--great story there. I'd be surprised if he'd have handled it differently.

Here's another interesting story. One of my favorites, this time about Pete Townshend:

At Woodstock in 1969' date=' Hoffman interrupted The Who's performance to attempt a protest speech against the jailing of John Sinclair of the White Panther Party. He grabbed a microphone and yelled, "I think this is a pile of sh*t while John Sinclair rots in prison. . ." The Who's guitarist, Pete Townshend, was adjusting his amp between songs and turned to look at Hoffman over his right shoulder. Townshend ran with his Gibson SG and rammed it into Hoffman's upper middle back. Hoffman turned with mouth gaping, back arched with one hand trying to reach the injury as Townshend, disgruntled and yelling "**** off! **** off my stage," put a hand in Hoffman's face and shoved him backwards to stage right. Townshend then said "I can dig it." The rest of the band looked at one another not sure what was going to happen next. Townshend, frustrated by the interruption, windmilled into the next song ("Do You Think It's Alright"). The band regained composure and followed. After that song, Townshend walked over to Hoffman, who was sitting on the right hand side of stage with his arms around his knees. Townshend leaned over and said something to him then gave him a smack up behind the head. Townshend later said that while he actually agreed with Hoffman on Sinclair's imprisonment, he would have knocked him offstage regardless of the content of his message, given that Hoffman had violated the "sanctity of the stage", i.e., the right of the band to perform uninterrupted by distractions not relevant to the actual show. The incident took place during a camera change, and was not captured on film. The audio of this incident, however, can be heard on the The Who's box set, Thirty Years of Maximum R&B (Disc 2, Track 20, "Abbie Hoffman Incident").[/quote']

Also, here's Axl Rose getting pissed off at someone in the audience.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

For the record, I think it's pretty cool how the band keeps playing during the fight, but pretty lame how Axl handles it afterwards.

EDIT: Here's some video of the Keith incident. It's a little hard to make it out, but I think it's still pretty neat.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Bono's reaction to a glass of beer to the face was a little different...

The song is roughly the length of a Senate Session, jump to 3:35:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, it's a stadium full of Irish people, so maybe beer to the face is considered an affectionate gesture #-o

Archived