Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone vs gibson?

Naradien

Hey guys. I'm new to gibson and les pauls, so could anyone tell me the difference between the epiphone and gibson les pauls. I've been looking for some good ones, my budget is like $1000. I've been looking at the Gibson les paul menace, and the Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Electric Guitar with EMG Pickups. Also, if i wanted to get a slash sound, which one should i use. Also, if you guys have any good ideas which other les pauls to buy, please tell me. Thanks >>>>

gibsons tend to be better made...higher quaity wood, better switches, electronics, etc...

i hear great things about the epi elitist LPs but have not played one. my advice is to always buy gibson.

EMGs sound the same in every guitar IMO...kinda defeats the point of getting a LP.

Epi's are still fine guitars for the price, but like Fenn said, they lack more of the quality materials in the Gibson guitars. With a $1000 budget, you can still get a nice LP Studio or the popular Vintage Mahogany LP. Don't be afraid to shop around a bit and try different models out too. If you look hard enough you can score a nice used Gibson and save a few bucks as well.

Don't get a Les Paul Menace.

You'll regret it once you enter adolescence. That's not a knock at you, but they're about as cool, hardcore, and classic as Avril Lavigne is. They took everything cool about a Les Paul and made it...lame. You'll be laughed off stage.

I'm not going to get into the Epi vs. Gibson, but trust me in the long run if you buy an Epi in a couple years you'll be kicking yourself for wasting so much time waiting to upgrade to the "real deal."

A lot of people around here love their LP Studios. You should also consider a SG Standard though.

You have the economy on your side right now, as guitars are getting pretty cheap. Buy used, and to make your dollar stretch even further try eBay.

If you're strapped for cash, get yourself the best value in the Gibson lineup, a Studio, quite a bit better than any Epi IMHO. Not sure what pickup choices they come with (you might be able to get something hotter than the stock which is 490R/498T I believe, but even these will score you a decent slash type sound and also versatile enough for when you outgrow that ;-) JK, I like slash too.

Ian makes some great points, but i would be wary of ebay especially if youre new to the LP scene.

If you have $1k, go with a LP VM or Studio. if you have $1500, you cannot go wrong with LP Std Faded or the SG Std (if you like SGs)

I dunno, ebay's still a great resource for used Gibbys. I've never had a problem with it, but you just gotta know what to look for, and make sure the seller has a solid feedback history. Although the abundance of fakes are a big concern, so I advise anybody new to Gibsons to do some research before taking the plunge.

EMGs sound the same in every guitar IMO...kinda defeats the point of getting a LP.

+1

owning 2 different guitars (different brand, different model, different wood) loaded with the zakk wylde set (EMG active 81/85) that sound the same, i have to agree.

dont know why people buy 5K guitars and puts emgs in them...

As a suggestion, checkout the Musicianfriends "Stupid Deals" (right side of the main page). Not too long ago, some guys were able to pick up new Standards for about $1200 (no tax or shipping charges either). The Studio and SG are great options as well for the money. Good luck.

could anyone tell me the difference between the epiphone and gibson les pauls

some $1000 or more, and of course the headstock has a different name, which is for what you are paying, just a name.

...hm... that doesnt even sound believable...

how about this:

different woods, different electronics, different hardware.

epis are ok, and you can mod them and get a very good guitar. also all epis ive seen are the same: qc is decent.

gibsons are outstanding, when you get a good one (80% chance), and are worth every extra penny. You cant compare the sound, gibsons have a very distintive sound that epis dont have, no matter what you do to them.

now if we ae talking "EMG 81/85" loaded guitars... and you dont mind the logo, go with an epi, a gibson with emgs will sound very much the same as any emg loaded guitar, so in my oppinion is a waste of wood, craftmanship and hardware.

Don't get a Les Paul Menace.

You'll regret it once you enter adolescence. That's not a knock at you' date=' but they're about as cool, hardcore, and classic as Avril Lavigne is. They took everything cool about a Les Paul and made it...lame. You'll be laughed off stage.

I'm not going to get into the Epi vs. Gibson, but trust me in the long run if you buy an Epi in a couple years you'll be kicking yourself for wasting so much time waiting to upgrade to the "real deal."

A lot of people around here love their LP Studios. You should also consider a SG Standard though.

You have the economy on your side right now, as guitars are getting pretty cheap. Buy used, and to make your dollar stretch even further try eBay.[/quote']

I agree with you about the Menace thing (I dunno what they were thinking) but I beg to differ on the rest. I don't "kick myself" for buying mine. I've had that guitar 4 years, and as far as I'm concerned, it was money well spent, it's a hell of a guitar for the money.

I agree with you about the Menace thing (I dunno what they were thinking) but I beg to differ on the rest. I don't "kick myself" for buying mine. I've had that guitar 4 years' date=' and as far as I'm concerned, it was money well spent, it's a hell of a guitar for the money.[/quote']

+1

i spent a lot in mods for my cheap *** lame epi special that was my first electric like 15 years ago...

i have spent more on her than it would cost me to buy a decent fender or ibanez or jackson...

i have owned a lot of guitars over the years and my epi remains with me and is to date one of my favorite guitars, only suprassed by my gibson (ok, ill give this to you: supprased by any gibson ill be buying from now on)

But it was well worth it, the investment wasnt done all at the same time... i bought a little something every time i happened to something that could be an upgrade to her... and i spent more than $400 in 10 years upgrading her... so 40 a year is nothing really... and the results are outstanding.

About the MENACE

why gibson didnt change the logo of all their lineup in beyond me... they should have put the same logo that comes in the menaca in every guitar they make.

this way nobody would have bought a gibson, sales would have dropped badly, they would have had to sell to fender, and (what is actually important here) THEY WOULD HAVE LEARNED A LESSON: dont put sh¡t into the market or you end broke and fender buys you.

You have the economy on your side right now' date=' as guitars are getting pretty cheap. Buy used, and to make your dollar stretch even further try eBay.[/quote']

Absolutely. Gibsons are quality guitars, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying a 2nd hand one that's been well looked after. If you or a friend know what you're doing, take that route. You may just get more for your money than buying new if you find someone desperate to sell, and there are a glut of used Les Pauls for sale these days. Try out loads in the shops, and read up on them to learn as much as possible - knowledge is power.

Of course a Gibson is a better made guitar than an Epi, but then thats what you are supossedly paying the difference for. Mind you having said that it's all according to what one can get out of the extra. A good player will make an Epi sound good. A bad player will make even the most expensive Les paul sound crap.

One major difference however is the long neck tenon in the Historics. Now that does make a difference to the acoustical sustain of the guitar. Whether it does when you plug into a maze of pedals and have the gain full up on your amp is another matter.

Phil.

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

I've purchased a used LP and a used SG on Craig's List. With the deals being local, I was able to see, touch, and play the guitars first. If you buy on E-bay, the seller may or may not know what he is talking about. My friend purchased an LP that was advertised as having the 60's slim taper neck. It had the standard big *** Gibson neck. Also, electronics could be replaceed with non Gibson stuff. I've lost trust of the E-Bay sellers.

Try the pawn shops....again, play it, look it over, bring a friend that knows guitars for a second opinion.

I wouldn't overlook the Epi Elitists.

They really are great guitars.

I have an Epi Elite LP Standard Plus (Before they changed the name to Elitist)

I put a burstbucker in the bridge position and fell in love with it.

I later added a Schaller Floyd Rose Trem.

It's the second-best guitar I've ever owned in the last 30 years.

(The first is a Gibby LP Standard I bought new in 1978 and sold in the mid 80's, regretted it ever since)

I also own a 1990 Gibby LP Standard and a 1978 Gibby 25/50 Anniversary LP Custom (amongst others) but My Epi Elite is the Guitar I go to first. It feels great and plays great.

If Elitists were easier to buy in The UK I would have bought at least another three by now...

Archived