Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster...American or Mexican..

bobrollar

I figure I'll add to the current telecaster posts on the Gibson forum, just to see what you guys and gals thought. I have been recently jonesin' for a telecaster. Wasnt sure if I would see a huge difference in the American made and the Mexican made tele's. I will really only be using this one for some slide work. Figure Ill set the action to where I like it, and keep it in an open tuning. I have found a few for less than $400 and wasnt sure if I should try and get rid of a few acoustics that are not being played to go toward this tele. Not sure if im making a mistake or just really GAS'n for a new guitar, its been a while.

Thanks!

If you are using it for slide you'll probably want to have the action really high.

Anyway, as it's not gonna be your main axe I would recomend a mexican tele for that, but beware, you'll soon be dreaming about another telecaster, and then another one [thumbup]

I hear ya, Im almost afraid to start cause I know ill get hooked. Im so broke though, im even looking at Squires, because of the price[-( But i keep telling myself to just wait for craigslist to payoff and come up with a steal of a deal.

Are you sure it was an active pickup? It could have been a Power House Strat with a 15 Db Booster that takes a 9 volt battery.

As for the original Topic, I'd get any MIM Tele and not feel bad. Personally I would get something more than a standard. A Deluxe Nashville, or a nice reissue. they just have so many more features than a standard for not much more money.

Of course an American Standard will be a fine Instrument and retain it's value, so it's a toss up in the end.

I've owned both and although I loved my mim tele once I played my 52 reissue it was all over. I wasn't even looking for another tele. I had gone in gassin' for a Clapton "Blackie" but the tele stole my heart.

My advice is if your looking for a solid guitar for slide work the mim telecaster will play the part without breaking the bank.

But if your not in a hurry I've seen a ton of beautiful USA teles on CL lately at terrific prices.

I got my '77 Tele new and it was 'game over' immediately. But that was back before Squier, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, China and Mexico. A Tele was a Tele.

In lieu of a smily emoticon I will insert this image:

0.jpg

My biggest gripe about the Mexican Fenders is the flat finish on the necks. Maybe the US ones are the same, I don't know. All I do know is that the flat finished ones just don't feel like the Fenders I grew up with. Maybe the vintage reissues feel nicer.

you'll soon be dreaming about another telecaster' date=' and then another one [thumbup']

I'm already dreamin' bout new tele's and I don't even have one yet!

There's nothing wrong with a good ol' Mexican Tele.

I used to peep out the Fender forum every-so often, but got tired of the daily MIM-MIA debate and stopped checking. You will get some nice features with the USA models that you will not find on an MIM. However, the secondary market for used MIM instruments is so saturated that you should be able to find one for a couple bills. Personally I think its worth the extra money for a MIA, but you should check out the Hwy1 and American Special models, too.

I used to peep out the Fender forum every-so often' date=' but got tired of the daily MIM-MIA debate and stopped checking. You will get some nice features with the USA models that you will not find on an MIM. However, the secondary market for used MIM instruments is so saturated that you should be able to find one for a couple bills. Personally I think its worth the extra money for a MIA, but you should check out the Hwy1 and American Special models, too.[/quote']

IMO, I'd stay away from the American Special. All your paying for there is the "American" label. The features are so trimmed down you're better off getting a Deluxe MIM or Highway 1.

On a side note, I used to frequent the Fender Forum. It's the John Mayer vs. Hendrix/SRV threads that keep me away [cool]

IMO' date=' I'd stay away from the American Special. All your paying for there is the "American" label. The features are so trimmed down you're better off getting a Deluxe MIM or Highway 1.

On a side note, I used to frequent the Fender Forum. It's the John Mayer vs. Hendrix/SRV threads that keep me away [thumbup

I have yet to play an American Special. Dont care for the look of the Strats, but the Tele may have some promise.

I find it funny that many people will pay upwards of 2 grand or more for a Gibson and then play a lower end Fender and not be happy.

The mim and mij are good solid guitars but they are not anywhere near the same quality and workmanship as a fender costing $3000.

Ya gets what ya pay for.

I can't see why anyone would pay $3000 and up for a Fender or any other guitar where the neck bolts on.

That's one of the things that first drove me to Gibson when I was younger, the set neck just shows a higher level of craftsmanship where as a bolt on is like something a child would put together in the garage like a hobby kit from Radio Shack.

Not saying a Fender doesn't sound or play well, I like them too but I'd never spend the same money on them like I will a Gibson. The most I'll ever consider investing in a Fender is $600-$1000.

[crying] Ducking for cover.......

Archived