Gibson Brands Forums

Giant Fart Destroys the World?

ChanMan

Wouldn't a big straw in the bubble cause a more slow release allowing the pressure to dissapate? Also, why didn't Nostradamus warn us? He warned us about every other possible way the Earth was going to die that he could think of.

Man, the people who bought those 2012 Doomsday Calanders and countdown clocks are going to be pissed if they got ripped off.

It's a movie re-run people. Greed at it's finest hour! Mankind cannot destroy the earth. The earth will destroy mankind first in response to greed, then heal it's own wounds!

Mankind cannot destroy the earth. The earth will destroy mankind first ...' date=' then heal it's own wounds! [/quote']

I actually believe this to be more accurate. Greed may or may not be the causal, but the results would be remarkably similar.

If you check the resources they list to back up their claims, you'll notice a distinct lack of corroborating evidence.

F'rinstance, the global extinction event 258 million years ago... the reports and research I did turned up no mention of either methane or the Gulf of Mexico. I only fact-checked a couple of things, but neither could be verified, and that's enough for me to trash the whole lot as fiction.

From what I've read, the "doomsday" scenario of a twenty mile wide bubble of methane exploding, raining down and destroying the entire earth is just as likely to happen as an asteroid. Possible, but highly, highly unlikely. In the more realistic realms of you know, reality, there does seem to be a lygitimate concern about possible tsunami like waves being created from a single large gas release, but this too seems like worst case scenario. Most of the methane that IS trapped is in a crystaline form and not gas.

Apparently the geological community agrees that this type of even has happened about 255 million, and 55 million years ago, which typically means it would have happened WITHOUT the oil drilling anyway. Also, it would seem that unless the Earth sped up production of methane in the crust, we're looking at at least another 100 million years before the pressure is great enough to cause another huge rupture.

Depressing news to say the least, but well, that's the news for you.

Also note, I'm not a geologist, just making a hypothesis based on what I've read.

Same here, AO. When I read the story, I found it interesting that somehow, they knew all three signs that foretold the event, despite the fact that both of the previous events transpired before the existance of mankind (according to current knowledge).

I, too, think that a sudden 20 mile gas bubble would fail to eradicate life on earth, though it might ruin many gulfside vacations.....

We actually DO understand the seriousness of your plight, I think Jocko, and while we understand that y'all have it tough, and you'll find much sympathy from those outside the oil industry, you need to understand that the world moves on for the rest of us....

I reserve the right to make fun of folks trying to make what is a huge disaster already seem as if it is a global extinction event.

Which is where the humor is directed... at them, not the folks on the gulf coast. One would think you'd have an appreciation for that.... keeping folks focused on the issue at hand and not off chasing some wild fantasy.

If I'm wrong, then my apologies for being insensitive.

Seriously, sir.

So much for saving for my future...staying sober' date=' honoring fish and game regulations....[/quote']

You can go through life doing what other people to tell you to do, or you can be happy and play your own game. We're all gonna die someday, so what if it's tommorow?

You can go through life doing what other people to tell you to do' date=' or you can be happy and play your own game. We're all gonna die someday, so what if it's tommorow?[/quote']

I tried that one on the Fish and Game officer.....

Trying to vet the author I drilled down to his bio:

"Terrence Aym's interests and studies encompass such diverse fields as economics, philosophy, astronomy, aerospace, physics, archeology, paleontology, the paranormal, classical literature, classical art, cooking, and traveling.

Some freelance articles published over the years:

"The Real Wizards of Wall Street," Personal Investing News Magazine.

"Online Investing Made Simple," Individual Investor Magazine.

"A Guide to Online Brokers," Online Investor Magazine.

"The Derivatives Market - Who Wins, Who Loses and Why," Silicon Investor.

"Don't Bank on Bank's Investment Advice," Los Angeles Sentinel daily newspaper

Briefly me

My passion is ... Knowledge

I know too much about ... The dark side.

My parents always told me ... To challenge myself.

My childhood ambition ... To create.

My favorite memory ... My first love.

Why I write ... Compelled to write.

What I am reading/watching/listening to ... Too many things to list and constantly changing.

My first job ... My own business. A summer lemonade stand when I was eight.

My best moment ... Attaining 163 mph on Route 80 with my Corvette on way to Denver.

My inspiration ... Life and persistently asking, "What if?""

In my opinion this a case of a little bit of knowledge being dangerous. He appears to be a writer by trade, although he never admits it, but his only schooling / training seem to revolve around squeezing yellow fruits into a pitcher and mixing with water and sugar... actually, only the marketing portion is his stated contribution.

His 'Briefly Me' section suggests he is dodging the question, "Who are you." If I were a Human Resources exec and a prospective employee gave me these answers, I'd thank him, show him the door and have security make sure he left the parking lot... just to be sure.

I would take the information in this article with a tall glass of lemonade and not much else.

My guess is, and we will see a lot of it on this subject., the writers and so-called journalists are ticked they can't get in with their press cards and are writing using partial knowledge in an attempt to shame or scare the public into forcing the media to be allowed more access. I'm not sure this is always a good thing.

There's plenty to worry about on this subject without drivel like this muddying the waters.

Archived