Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day!!! (well... tomorrow)

Silenced Fred

Picking up a Fender Champ from GC for practice, they are on sale for 120, not bad. I moved all my stuff to a practice area in an industrial center, so no noise complaints [biggrin] I'm thinking of using my old Boss Overdrive pedal just to throw some gain in on this, I think the MXR Classic Overdrive might be too much for it...

I'm excited, I really like the little amps

Picking up a Fender Champ from GC for practice' date=' they are on sale for 120, not bad. I moved all my stuff to a practice area in an industrial center, so no noise complaints [biggrin'] I'm thinking of using my old Boss Overdrive pedal just to throw some gain in on this, I think the MXR Classic Overdrive might be too much for it...

I'm excited, I really like the little amps

The Champion 600?

I like mine.....be sure to try the overdrive pedals with it before you buy it....I think that with mine using the Way Huge Pork Loin or Bad Monkey, the sound sounds grainy.....A bigger speaker would solve it....I should think

The Champion 600?

I like mine.....be sure to try the overdrive pedals with it before you buy it....I think that with mine using the Way Huge Pork Loin or Bad Monkey' date=' the sound sounds grainy.....A bigger speaker would solve it....I should think[/quote']

Yes, I should have elaborated. Or just let people think I am getting the 57 [bored]

I wouldn't use hardly any overdrive, mainly just to boost the amp a little to push it over the top. That's why the Classic Overdrive is too much. If you have never used one, its fricking loud! It's a big boost

I built an STF copy of the Tweed Champ -

http://www.stf-electronics.com/

With a tele' date=' a cable, and a Weber 12" Cali, it gets the quack just right. No pedals needed.

It sounds pretty good with a pair of BB Pros, too.

Let us know what you got.[/quote']

i might eventually try and copy Stiffhand... I believe he took his and added a 12" cab. Cool idea

i might eventually try and copy Stiffhand... I believe he took his and added a 12" cab. Cool idea

I did, well almost, I built a head box for it....but I don't have a speaker cab yet, can't find one I like here....and it weighs a lot....so by the time I buy it, pay shipping to my courier in florida and pay shipping and customs to me....it doesn't make any financial sense to buy it.

Same goes for the kits from mojotone or lopoline

But I still have the head box there.

I have one of those, GC was selling them for $99 at Christmas time, It was my first tube amp and now I am

looking for a Blues Jr.

Good Choice let us know how you like it, there are some good mods for them

I did' date=' well almost, I built a head box for it....but I don't have a speaker cab yet, can't find one I like here....and it weighs a lot....so by the time I buy it, pay shipping to my courier in florida and pay shipping and customs to me....it doesn't make any financial sense to buy it.

Same goes for the kits from mojotone or lopoline

But I still have the head box there.

[/quote']

Check out the cabs from JD Newell. I have one, it's beyond perfect.

Worth the $$$, if you ask me.

I have one of those' date=' GC was selling them for $99 at Christmas time, It was my first tube amp and now I am

looking for a Blues Jr.

Good Choice let us know how you like it, there are some good mods for them[/quote']

Once you go tube, you don't go back. (Unless its a Roland JC120 [bored] )

I played that amp several times before I bought my Gibson GA-5.

The Champion 600 is a fun little amp that really allows the guitar player to develop his skills.

Honestly' date=' they're good little amps. You'll dig it.[/quote']

I'd like a GA-5, but can't afford one right now. I like 'em, I'm gonna primarily keep it clean so I can fully concentrate on my playing, and make myself better.

Once you go tube' date=' you don't go back. (Unless its a Roland JC120 [biggrin'] )

One for one thing, one for another.

I read that Joe Walsh played through a Roland Cube 60 (SS) on the Hotel California thing...

Find what you like and then hammer the hell out of it.

(Funny, You can say "hell" but not "ridiculous"... any mods watching?)

Eh, it seems like a fun little amp. For what its worth, I think they look super badass :-#

I'm gonna be shopping for a cab, then a head. Not saying what, until I get the funds. But this Trad Pro in Gold Top with a Dark Back might set me back a year or so...

Congrats' date=' those are sweet little amps. I got mine used at the local music shop for $75. They sound awesome clean, but overdriven, a little "farty", a new speaker would probably fix that.[/quote']

I'm just gonna keep it clean, just so I can mess around at home. Anything else, its just a 10 minute drive in crappy traffic to get my Sunn :-#

where is your sunn?

My dad has an extra office, so I took it over (kinda, shoved it in the corner) and I can go there after hours. Some of the factories near there run 24/7 so no noise complaints :-# Play it as loud as I want, it's a blast. Let the Sunn shine in...

My dad has an extra office' date=' so I took it over (kinda, shoved it in the corner) and I can go there after hours. Some of the factories near there run 24/7 so no noise complaints [biggrin'] Play it as loud as I want, it's a blast. Let the Sunn shine in...

:-#

So how did things go with getting your job at the guitar shop?

Did you?

My friend just got one of those. It sounds pretty good but it would be much better with a 12".

That's cool about the industrial jam zone. My band rented a studio in a converted industrial warehouse. It was awesome we could do whatever the hell we wanted and we could rock out at full volume at any time. It was cool but the bands around us could get really loud at peak hours. To get anything done we'd have to stay until the wee hours of the morning. And it was in an extremely shady area. Not exactly the place you want to be at 3 in the morning walking to your car with your gear.

I still miss it though. Even if I was afraid of getting stabbed it was pretty convinient.

Are you in a band?

Archived