Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne and some Gibson goodness (large-ish photos)

Guth

Last weekend my wife and son took me on a surprise weekend that they had been planning for months.

Turns out that the weekend was centered around a Jackson Browne concert. Jackson was playing at the Maryhill Winery Amphitheater located in Goldendale, Washington. David Lindley has joined Jackson on this tour and the first part of the show featured the two of them playing an acoustic set. As I'm sure many of you are well aware, Jackson has a plethora of acoustic guitars, and plenty of Gibsons in the mix so that was cool. David's playing was a wonderful bonus – good stuff. One of my favorite moments (definitely the highlight of the evening for my son) was David performing "Cat Food Sandwiches".

My wife had managed to snag some awesome tickets, which made for some good photo opportunities, even with a digital point 'n shoot camera. So I'd thought I'd share a few pics of this wonderful evening with everyone here. It's safe to say that I'm going to have a hard time topping this surprise as the rest of the weekend spent with my family was also great

WARNING: The viewing of Mr. Lindley's wardrobe may cause queasiness.

Enjoy,

Guth

jb_and_dl_lg2.jpg

jb_and_dl_rsrg.jpg

jb_smeck.jpg

jb_lg2_closeup.jpg

jb_rsrg_closeup.jpg

Great report and great pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jackson is such a cool guy. He is on my board of directors with me on the Buddy Holly Guitar Foundation that I recently formed. I'll be seeing him later this month and hope to have completed one of my Foundation's guitars, each of which has an original fret from Buddy's Banner J-45, to give him. I'll keep you posted.

Here's me playing the original:

JohnwithBuddysGuitar1.jpg

We're also producing hand made leather covers. I can't wait to see Jackson playing replica.

Wow. Do you suppose this represents Lindley's daily fashion sense? In this outfit I would expect to see him show up in one of those "People Who Shop At Walmart" picture essays.......or perhaps onstage with Jackson Browne! Up close and personal is the way to enjoy an acoustic duo like this one. Fine looking guitars there!

As I'm sure many of you are well aware' date=' Jackson has a plethora of acoustic guitars, and plenty of Gibsons in the mix so that was cool. [/quote']

It's interesting that he's playing a vintage Roy Smeck Radio Grande and a brand new Roy-Smeck-Stage-Deluxe-that-doesn't-say-"Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe"-on-the-headstock. The new ... well, let's just call them Jackson Browne models (purely for the purposes of this discussion, of course #-o) that I've had the chance to play have been nice guitars, but none been close to as good as a really good old one. (Of course, they were as good than a lot of old ones. One nice thing about visiting a vintage guitar show and playing a bunch of '30s through '60s vintage guitars, something I did last weekend: it reminds you is that most old guitars are just old guitars with nothing special going on tone-wise.) Anyway, I'm thinking Jackson playing this one means that Ren has refined the JB design to where at least some are now great.

-- Bob R

It's interesting that he's playing a vintage Roy Smeck Radio Grande and a brand new Roy-Smeck-Stage-Deluxe-that-doesn't-say-"Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe"-on-the-headstock.

Bob,

Great eyes! That had escaped me. Now that you mention it, I can also spot the repro pickguard. Very interesting.

I like the circa 1945 script logo LG-2, too. And, I've played 2 vintage Radio Grandes. Both made me weak in the knees! I hope to play Jackson's in a couple of weeks.

It's interesting that he's playing a vintage Roy Smeck Radio Grande and a brand new Roy-Smeck-Stage-Deluxe-that-doesn't-say-"Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe"-on-the-headstock. The new ... well' date=' let's just call them Jackson Browne models (purely for the purposes of this discussion, of course [smile']) that I've had the chance to play have been nice guitars, but none been close to as good as a really good old one. (Of course, they were as good than a lot of old ones. One nice thing about visiting a vintage guitar show and playing a bunch of '30s through '60s vintage guitars, something I did last weekend: it reminds you is that most old guitars are just old guitars with nothing special going on tone-wise.) Anyway, I'm thinking Jackson playing this one means that Ren has refined the JB design to where at least some are now great.

-- Bob R

Bob,

Great observation with regards to older guitars. This has been my experience as well. Many are quick to assume that just because a guitar is vintage that it will be their "holy grail". Like yourself, I've played plenty of vintage models that were fairly disappointing from a sonic standpoint. From a tonal perspective, there will always be, and always have been, some guitars that simply stand out amongst the rest - the great ones as you say.

The other thing is that Jackson seems to be very particular about the tone of his guitars - I'm sure his bar is set at "great and above". With that in mind, I'm guessing that your assumption about the successful refinement of the new design has some merit to it.

All the best,

Guth

Way cool seats.

I had seats like that once for a James Taylor concert. It felt like he was there just for me.

Yes, once again I've been reminded that I'm not really worthy of my wife. She's amazing (as were the seats).

Guth

Last weekend my wife and son took me on a surprise weekend that they had been planning for months.

Turns out that the weekend was centered around a Jackson Browne concert. Jackson was playing at the Maryhill Winery Amphitheater located in Goldendale' date=' Washington. David Lindley has joined Jackson on this tour and the first part of the show featured the two of them playing an acoustic set. As I'm sure many of you are well aware, Jackson has a plethora of acoustic guitars, and plenty of Gibsons in the mix so that was cool. David's playing was a wonderful bonus – good stuff. One of my favorite moments (definitely the highlight of the evening for my son) was David performing "Cat Food Sandwiches".

My wife had managed to snag some awesome tickets, which made for some good photo opportunities, even with a digital point 'n shoot camera. So I'd thought I'd share a few pics of this wonderful evening with everyone here. It's safe to say that I'm going to have a hard time topping this surprise as the rest of the weekend spent with my family was also great

WARNING: The viewing of Mr. Lindley's wardrobe may cause queasiness.

Enjoy,

Guth

[img']http://www.billguthrie.com/images/misc/jb_and_dl_lg2.jpg[/img]

jb_and_dl_rsrg.jpg

jb_smeck.jpg

jb_lg2_closeup.jpg

jb_rsrg_closeup.jpg

My wife (the one with high priced photo equipment that I have to pay for) looked at your photos and commented that they are very good. We heard on the Leo Laporte radio show that the small "soap dish" cameras have won internaltional awards over the big boy's. Nice photos!

Frank

Great shots... JB is one of my favorites. I think Lindley is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard... what a wonderful side man.

I heard that JB tunes his guitars down a half step... true ???

RB

Great shots... JB is one of my favorites. I think Lindley is one of the most talented musicians I've ever heard... what a wonderful side man.

I heard that JB tunes his guitars down a half step... true ???

RB

i spent an afternoon with him in the spring. he told me all his guitars are tuned down 2 full steps. that's why he's got 15 gauge strings on his CF 100's and LGs. here's his acoustic touring rig. i recognize all the guitars in the OP'S pics from this show. sigh.

DSC00604.jpg

Archived