Gibson Brands Forums

2nd Guitar

Bluegrass

Guys, I've been think about getting a 2nd guitar. The reason I want another is, I'm kinda leary about mine getting beat up.

I will let anyone play my guitar, and I have! But, sometimes when we get together, and the beverages are flowing, it never fails someone (even myself) knock my guitar over. Even went out and got a guitar stand just for this, but it still happens.

So, in my searching for a 2nd guitar, I think I have found the guitar I want. Any opinions would be greatly appriciated!!

It's an Ovation Celebrity:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ovation-Celebrity-Deluxe-SS-CC48-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=583194

Well, yeah........an Ovation is much less subject to damage from being tossed around by a bunch of drunks, but the better answer is give up the boozing while your guitar is in the vicinity. Better for you, better for the guitar.....and cheaper too!

Personally, for any beater guitar, I would always buy used. That way if you are not 100% happy with it after a good long tryout (or short one as I have done on a couple occasions...[biggrin] ) you can either sell it on Craigslist or trade it for something different and you don't immediately lose 1/2 or more off the cost new.....

There are ton's of cheaper guitars on Craigslist and with a bit of research, you may find a real keeper for cheap.

but the better answer is give up the boozing while your guitar is in the vicinity. Better for you' date=' better for the guitar.....and cheaper too!

[/quote']

I don't drink myself, only Mt Dew or Raspberry Lemonade!!! Gave it up years ago [biggrin]

Thanks for the advice Taylor, gonna check craigslist right now!!!

I may be a little prejudiced since I currently own 13 Ovations (seriously). If you're looking for a knock-around US made guitar, the garden variety Balladeer sells cheap used. Typically a couple hundred bucks will get you one with a hard case.

I know of a nice blue Applause but you'll have to PM me if interested, otherwise it'll look like a sales pitch.

My 'go to' Ovation is a mid 70s white Balladeer I bought on ebay for $22. It looked like it fell out of a truck in downtown Beirut. It was a long road back from where I started but it runs like a Swiss watch now.

I'm also a big Seagull fan. I see the prices creeping up, but again, a couple hundred will hook your right up.

I use my AJ at our monthly church singalong sessions. One evening an older guy...who has belonged to the church forever....showed up without his guitar. He has written a bunch of songs and is a favorite and is a crowd favorite at the fellowship hall.

Of course, he asked to borrow my guitar so he could perform a few songs...and of course, I let him. Problem was, he has a big pot belly (just a little bigger than mine) and he wears suspenders...with big metal buckles (??) adjustment things. And of ourse, I had kind of big scrapes on the back of the AJ after he took the guitar off...

I intend to use this guitar for that use...so i chalk it up to fellowship mojo. You worry less about the scrapes after the few few show up!

Unless you keep it locked away a guitar is going to eventually show some wear and the results of a careless moment or two. When enough years go by, that stuff all becomes memories.

I guess what you need to decide is if you want a guitar that has a sound and feel similar to what you have or one that is one of those and now for something completely different guitars. Can't comment on Ovations cuz they ain't my cup of tea.

I have to admit that I have a hard time with folks who are unconcerned about scratching a nice guitar, especially when it doesn't belong to them.... There is something wrong with not taking proper care to return something borrowed in the condition it was in when you borrowed it, and that seems especially true when it's obvious that the lender normally takes good care of the object they were nice enough to lend you. But, then, I guess that's just my opinion.

In any case, it does provide a good rationale or reason for having not only a second guitar, but a "beater" guitar; one that already has the appearance of what Hunter S. Thompson once described as the result of "an experiment involving whiskey and gorillas".

You know the one... a guitar that plays and sounds great, but has obviously been "around the block a few times".

Such an instrument can still deliver a lot of fun, while keeping anxiety and heartache to a minimum for its owner .

The search for such a guitar can also be a lot of fun, and often yields surprisingly good results. Just because a guitar is beat up, and/or inexpensive, doesn't mean it won't sound great or be a joy to play. Often such "experienced" pieces are priced right, i.e. way below their inherent value as quality musical instruments.

Good luck in your quest for just the right second (or beater....) guitar,

Jack6849

The OP-25 originated as the J-25 in K'zoo (a handful) and then went to Nashville. They were produced from '83-'85 with a laminated top. In 1990 or '91 about 200 bowls were shipped to Bozeman to be completed. The Montana ones were built with solid top. Someone said the bowls looked like oil pans..

Oil Pans...

O P 25.

I've got eleven guitars, two banjos, three dulcimers, two dobros, a psaltery, 3 ukes and few oddball instruments at the moment. ........I'd say that you need at least 2-3 more guitars, just to start with. It's always good to have a back-up guitar, and even better to have 8-9 of them.[angry]

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

I don't drink myself' date=' only Mt Dew or Raspberry Lemonade!!! Gave it up years ago.....[/quote']

My bad. From your post it sounded that way. That being the case, why would you let those that do get anywhere near your prized instrument? Let those that get tipsy beat on their own guitars. Friends are friends, but drunk friends can be a major pain......been there, done that. You'll do well to keep your guitar out of those hands and let them provide their own instrument for destruction. No offense intended, of course, to you or your friends, but the world is a better place when we refuse to suffer the fool.

I've owned' date=' at one point, Applause and Ovation guitars. Once you go with an "all-wood" guitar, those plastic guitars just don't cut it anymore. If you need a "beater", stay with wood. Just my two cents![/quote']

my thoughts exactly,, Ovations can sound nice if amplified and I DO like the necks on some of them but I have NEVER played one unplugged that I liked the tone of, to me they just DONT sound rich and full like wood does, I would buy a used all wood guitar if I was you unless you want to amplify it [cool]

Thanks for all the responses guys, I sure appreciate it. Great feedback!!! Searching for a guitar is almost as fun as getting one I think. I've been to craigslist, ebay, and a couple of local music stores here. I did play a Taylor 410CE at First Quality Music, awsome guitar, sounded wonderful when the salesman played it in front of me so I could really hear it!!! Here it is, but it's outta my league right now[crying]

http://firstqualitymusic.com/p_TG-410CE/Taylor-410CE-Dreadnought-Guitar-w-ES-Natural.aspx

OK - two recommendations in used guitars:

1) 1970s Westerly-made Guild D-25

2) 1960s Harmony Sovereign, 1203 or 1260.

Both can be found for under $1K (the Sovereign for well under that price) and if there is a better sounding guitar out there for the money I have yet to hear it.

2) 1960s Harmony Sovereign' date=' 1203[/color'] or 1260.

Both can be found for under $1K (the Sovereign for well under that price) and if there is a better sounding guitar out there for the money I have yet to hear it.

I am totally in agreement with ZW!!! Find one, they are sweet! 1 3/4" nut, Brazillian RW board, solid spruce top and one large solid piece of mahogany back. For what you will pay..... soooo worth it!

I am totally in agreement with ZW!!! Find one' date=' they are sweet! 1 3/4" nut, Brazillian RW board, solid spruce top and one large solid piece of mahogany back. For what you will pay..... soooo worth it! [/quote']

I was hoping the OP would read your recent thread.

• 2 weeks later...

2) 1960s Harmony Sovereign, 1203 or 1260.

"The best guitar you can buy... for the money you'll spend." That was Harmony's motto. Guess it still holds true today. I saw one on the local guit tar shops' used wall. They were asking $250.00. I didn't have the cash. Someone else did. :(

Archived