Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 return

smssatts

I recently bought a J-45 Standard - Vintage Sunburst. I took off the plastic that was on the pick guard and I filled out the warranty card. How much would I be looking at if I returned the guitar at this point? I paid $2399. It's brand new except for the mentioned circumstances.

There's nothing physically wrong with it. It sounds, looks and feels beautiful. I'm just having second thoughts about the worthiness of its price. I filled out the warranty card and took off the plastic that was on the pick guard. The return policy says 45 days, all original packaging. Subject to a $25 processing fee for the warranty card. Just want an idea of what I'll be singed for the pick guard, etc.

peeling the plastic is minor, but a point. the warranty card is a bigger deal. that store can't resell the instrument as new. what would you think if a store charged you full pop for a new guitar then you found the warranty card filled out?

your answer is based on store policy. ask them.

There's nothing physically wrong with it. It sounds' date=' looks and feels beautiful. I'm just having second thoughts about the worthiness of its price. I filled out the warranty card and took off the plastic that was on the pick guard. The return policy says 45 days, all original packaging. Subject to a $25 processing fee for the warranty card. Just want an idea of what I'll be singed for the pick guard, etc.[/quote']

That is a lot to pay for a standard J 45 !

No doubt - if you try to sell it used, you will take a certain beating. I'd be more than happy to pay any kind of "processing fees" associated with the return. Used 45's in great condition have been selling for $1400-$1,500+ Sorry to hear you are going to return the Guitar. The 45's coming out of Bozeman these past few years have been outstanding IMO.

A lot of Gibsons I see in shops don't have the plastic protection on the pickguard anyway so I can't see that being a big issue. The warranty card . . . like the others said, just go to the shop and see what they say.

I believe that's what they cost now' date=' new.[/quote']

That's the MAP, which is a larger percentage of list price than it used to be. (MAP is no longer the benchmark for a pretty good deal!) A pretty good deal (~30% off list) on a J-45 is about $2150. If you shop around a little, you can likely get a new one for under $1850 (~40% off list). MAP is set so that dealers can beat it and still make a tidy profit.

-- Bob R

Archived