Gibson Brands Forums

Wall hangers are nothing but trouble.

dem00n

Orignal i wanted to install the wall hangers but my mom forced me not to and decied to hire someone to do it since she doesnt trust me with her walls. [biggrin]

So i didnt know when they were coming but they day they did come i wasnt home...and one of the hangers they install is upside down. [blush]

Not a problem..ill just put the nylon on there since its the most light.

Now...this was a month ago...today i look and one of the hangers is coming out of the wall! Now i dont know if i can trust these hangers anymore.

Who should i blame? The wall? The guy who installed it? The screws? I have no idea...but i think the hangers need a butterfly screw...[crying]

they tend to be very reliable if installed right. i typically make sure its in a stud or at least properly secured in with a molly. then again ive got a poster covering up 2 holes in the wall from when i thought it would be a good idea to test the weight capacity of a wall mount...by...hanging off of it.

Go to your local hardware store and see if you can get a stud finder for cheap, it's just a little box that sends waves into the wall, and when you go over something solid it beeps or lights up. Then buy yourself a box of 2 or 2 1/2 inch drywall screws and you should be fine. Also, some filler for the holes caused by whoever installed it in the first place.

What kind of screws did they use?

Any screw or anchor that hangs anything between studs, i.e. just the drywall holding it all is a fall waiting to happen... unless you are hanging very, very light pictures (plastic frames only, no bigger than 8x10). This includes butterfly screws. Maybe not now, not next week, but it will fall. You will then have a broken, whatever, and a HUGE hole in the wall. Hollow body acoustic guitars are on the cusp of being too heavy for drywall to hold. They may hold a long time, but you're asking for trouble. A solid body electric will fall. Drywall is good for one thing and one thing only, holding paint up.

Screw the hangers into a stud. In the United States stud walls are a standard 16" apart, center to center. This is a close distance between gujtars unless you stagger them, one high, one low. Once you find a stud on a wall the rest are a tape measure away from being found. Electronic stud finders are not that expensive any more. Get one. You slide the finder along the wall until it lights up. You are now at the edge of the stud, which is 1.5" wide. It will stay on until you move off the edge of the stud. Split the difference between where the light comes on then goes off.

If the on-the-stud location just won't work, use a piece of decorative 1x to span two studs and screw the hanger to the 1x.

And the upside-down one? Get your screw driver out and re-install it right-side up.

In my opinion... these 'professionals' didn't do the job they were paid for.

I've had a faux-Fender-J-Bass on a wall hanger for at least 20 years. But the wall is real wood (not plywood paneling). My ES-330 has been hanging the wall for as long, but it's much lighter, and I still play the guitar :-)

If hanging a guitar on drywall, either find a stud or use either molly bolts or toggle bolts that are rated to handle much more than the weight of your precious guitar.

Notes ?

Archived