Gibson Brands Forums

Custom made guitars!

morty

Hey guys!

who makes the best custom made guitars, i am thinking of using warmoth for making a custom les paul any of you guys ever used warmoth? or any other custom guitar makers- show pictures if you have a custom guitar as well! and how does warmoths quality compare to Gibson

thanks!

Morty...

Here's from a cynical old man:

The best custom guitars for playing purposes are those where a fine luthier has constant contact with the musician commissioning the work so that it is the best possible instrument to express what and how the commissioning musician wishes his performance to be.

On the basis of an LP, for example, if you had a time and huge store option, could you not find what you want - possibly excluding finish and color - there? If not...

I personally doubt that craftsmanship is the issue, per se, but rather if you're spending a bundle on something just for you to play, then personal input on an ongoing basis would be my criterion - just as it is with a custom-made suit that one tries on several times if there are a degree of special needs by the buyer. (E.g., I always had a few quirks such as needing jacket pockets somewhat deeper and stronger than standard.)

Also, on an electric guitar, I personally think if one has that amount of cash available, the entire chain of music creation, guitar, amplifier and any preferred add-ons should be considered.

m

You just got to watch out who you hire? Know them well or know someone that does. Don't rely on their website feedback or ebay feedback or otherwise. I am currently about to the point of litigation over trying to get a custom Tele made. Despite all the website fanfare and positive feedback, the guy took my Custom made Body and "Dream Neck" and my money and just sorta disappeared. The local Sherriff paid him a visit today to explain fraud to him so hopefully I'll at least get my parts and money back and avoid litigation. I'm not going to disclose the name [at this time] since this is all pending. ](*,)

I personally would just buy a Gibson Custom or better yet Reissue for what you'll pay for a Custom Clone.

Otherwise, I'd go to Carvin or to Anderson. Hard to go wrong there. My CS6 is actually a better guitar than my R9 for 1/2 the price but better because of materials to my specs, craftmanship, custom electronics to my specs, a tung oiled neck with relieved heel to my specs that's just amazing to play, etc., yet they never appreciate and rarely even hold their value because you could go have one made exactly like it tomorrow if you know my specs. My R9 on the other hand was 1 of only 25 made, 50th anniversary R9s, in Cognacburst. The Carvin is universally better for all types of music. My R9 is specifically better for particular things I want to play . . . and it's an R9 reissue for heaven's sakes. [drool]

Good luck with your decision . . . I'm going to go play now! :P

Hey guys!

who makes the best custom made guitars, i am thinking of using warmoth for making a custom les paul any of you guys ever used warmoth? or any other custom guitar makers- show pictures if you have a custom guitar as well! and how does warmoths quality compare to Gibson

thanks!

I have used Warmoth (Tele/Thinline bodies) and USA Custom Guitars (Tele/Thinline bodies and necks).

My reason for doing this was to put together a Tele that would work for jazz - with the mojo of a vintage bridge. Why? Well, I really like the look and feel of a Tele but was finding that any I thought about buying off the hook would need to be modified - and I was keen on an ostentatious maple top.

This is my most successful one.

blond_thinline_reduced.jpg

It has a Warmoth body with a USACG short scale neck. The Charlie Christian neck pickup and matching bar bridge pickup are by Pete Biltoft at VintageVibe Guitars. The neck inlay was done by Bryan England at Custom Inlay. The body was finished (including the binding) by Frank Grubisa here in Sydney.

Warmoth offers Gibson style solid bodies but IIRC they are designed for a bolt-on neck. IMHO, this doesn't wash; A Les Paul style guitar needs a set neck.

I imagine there are luthiers who will build you a Les Paul style guitar with a set neck but I suspect a nice one won't be cheap.

Comparison to Gibson? The Warmoth and USACG stuff is fine and I am as happy playing my Charliecaster or other partscasters as my ES345.

RN

Warmoth's are great and extremely high quality. I have 2. The Luthier I used for the technical aspects told me he was really impressed with the quality. Plus you get to have a hand in creating your own masterpiece doing as little or as much as you like. Great support too.

Archived