Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr as a Full Stack (?)

More speaker surface, more air moves, bigger output.

Add a second set of 3 jacks. Isolate them from the chassis, run their ground to the black wire on the OT. Parallel them with the existing jacks.

Jack two 16 ohm speakers into the 8 ohm outputs.

You're done.

Titanium coated drillbits (the gold things), a couple plastic shoulder washers, 3 switchcraft jacks ($4 each), some 18 gauge wire ($1), solder? Like 10 minutes plus drilling if you're fast. Probably an hour job for me, I'm slow and cautious and very new at this.

I hear WD40 makes a good cutting oil, I'm dumb and usually drill dry (please don't). The drill likes to walk, so drill a tiny pilot hole first to guide it.

I did this with one of my cabs. It was so really easy to do, only cost a $1 for the jack plate w/ the jacks, and the cabs still work like before.

000_0390.jpg

000_0391.jpg

These speakers are single 10" 8 ohm Eminence (one is a Lil Buddy, and the other is an alnico from a Fender tweed reissue) with the port out in parallel they are 4 ohm chained together.

9ef29fee.jpg

These are really nice rigs.

you dont want to run two 16 ohm speakers using the 8 and 4 ohm jacks.. that's for an 8 and a 16.

you plug an 8ohm speaker into the 4ohm, and a 16ohm speaker into the 8ohm.

you can just add one little switchcraft jack to one cabinet.. so that you are running your two 16 ohm cabs either in series or parallel..

amp/speaker/speaker.. using the appropriate jack on the amp.

Two twelves is ok.. but I have to say I think it cuts the power down.. on 12" suits me better. It loses some punch running two.

TWANG

Twang is right...one additional jack to one of the cabinets is all you need. Wire it in parallel with the other one. You don't want to run two 16r speakers in series, because that'll make the load 32r.

I agree as well that 2x12's doesn't sound as good (to my ears) as a single 12. I've run my vjr into my 2x12 bassman cab., and it lost it's punch and articulation. At only 5 watts, you're only pushing 2.5 watts into each speaker, and that's probably not enough for many speakers to feel good about themselves.

I agree as well that 2x12's doesn't sound as good (to my ears) as a single 12. I've run my vjr into my 2x12 bassman cab.' date=' and it lost it's punch and articulation. At only 5 watts, you're only pushing 2.5 watts into each speaker, and that's probably not enough for many speakers to feel good about themselves. [/quote']

Interesting.

My personal experience is that my Blackheart head sounds better through two 1x12" cabs than it does through just one. That is one of the things I like about the Blackheart head, it has two sets of parallel jacks for the 4 & 8 ohm outputs.

I'm going to try this out with my VJ head. I just built a parallel box so that I can run my two 1x12" cabs into the VJ.

tung

My personal experience is that my Blackheart head sounds better through two 1x12" cabs than it does through just one. That is one of the things I like about the Blackheart head, it has two sets of parallel jacks for the 4 & 8 ohm outputs.

Different speaks and cabinets have a profound effect on tone. Aside from that, there is the whole "tone is subjective" variable that makes any discussion of tone nothing more than a sharing of ideas.

so far..

the best sound I've gotten out of them is a single twelve..

with very stiff competition from the combo 8" with 12" doing the ohms switch trick.

Which makes me thing a high sensitivity 10" and a 12" would be fantastic

I just plugged my blackheart 5 watt into a new Vox 4x12 (about 30 seconds after I dragged it in the door) and it sounds great, better than the single 12” I was running before - for sure. I guess I should notice a lack of punch, but even in triode operation it's not there.

• 3 weeks later...
so far..

the best sound I've gotten out of them is a single twelve..

with very stiff competition from the combo 8" with 12" doing the ohms switch trick.

Which makes me thing a high sensitivity 10" and a 12" would be fantastic

Twang, or anyone, how did you play with the 8" and 12" at once.

what i have is the 16 ohm epiphone cab and a V2 4 ohm Vj that i

just want to use the speaker on.

Is there any way i can do this and still use my weber mini mass 25.

Which outputs would i use and how.

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the mini mass..

you have to have the two cabs in parallel.. for 16ohms total.

you can find series/parallel speaker wiring at google quick!

But you have a 4 ohm only combo.. so you have to be able to fix that up for 16ohms..

I've never had a v2 combo. with the single output.. so I don't know what they did.. perhaps someone who owns one will pipe in and tell you how to wire it for a 16ohm output.. it should have the wiring inside for that..

you dont need a titanium drill bit or anything special to drill holes in these heads. they're aluminum. hell, a wood bit would cut through it.

you just need a cliff jack, they're insulated from the chassis.. and some 22 AWG wire from the hardware store.. a foot will be more than enough.. probably fifty cents..

You want to put tape about 1/2" in from the bit tip.. around the bit shaft.. why? so that when it cuts the hole through the bit doesn't leap into the hole another four inches before you can stop it.

If you can, unplug the wires from the board.. write down which is which.. put tape on the wires with the same color so you can tell them apart,

unscrew the board and have it out of the way when you're drilling.

I've even had the bit pull the taped portion through.. the better the bit, the more it will want to jump through the new hole.

so be careful, take reasonable precautions.

But.. find out if you can wire the V2 for 16 ohms.. then get your two cabs to read 16 ohms.. and you're good to go.

oh wait.. does that have a 4ohm speaker in the combo?

I believe 4 and 16 in parallel would be.. 3.2ohms. that would work in the 4 ohm jack. I THINK. get confirmation from others in here.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

• 10 months later...

I have a version 3 EVJ head & 2 EVJ 16 ohm matching cabs. Just pit a Bitmo Mod in. Bruce at Bitmo sez:"to run the two 16 ohm EVJ cabs into one EVJ head get a mono splitter cable from radio Shack, & plug the 2 cabs into the 8 ohm speaker jack on the head."

feedback anyone?

I have a version 3 EVJ head & 2 EVJ 16 ohm matching cabs. Just pit a Bitmo Mod in. Bruce at Bitmo sez:"to run the two 16 ohm EVJ cabs into one EVJ head get a mono splitter cable from radio Shack' date=' & plug the 2 cabs into the 8 ohm speaker jack on the head."

feedback anyone?[/quote']

I wouldn't advise it because the mono splitter cable from Rat Shack that I know of is shielded #1 and #2 it's so easy to just add a parallel jack to one of the cabinets what's the point? Just my $.02

I hashed over this a bunch when I modded my Version II a while back. After the Hammond 125ESE and the Marshall

mods and a tube upgrade this is what I wound up with for a speaker setup.

Starting with sealed 2x12 P.A. cab from the 70's I loaded in a pair of 16 ohm 12" Hellatones from Avatar Speakers.

Using a double jack plate I ran the wiring in parallel from the, 8 speaker terminals 4 to each jack. This duplicated the

wiring routing but made both jacks active. (There was probably a simpler more effective method to do this but the

speakers had two male terminals per connection point so other than lotsa double checking for proper polarity it

was pretty straightforward. ) This yielded a 8 ohm cabinet. Two 16 ohms 12's in parallel = 8ohm. The modded VJ

sits atop of this vertical cab. Next I gutted an old 10watt Crate practice amp found at a yard sale that had a nice

slant to it's forward shape. With the amp section out a new baffle was made and I put a 10" Eminence RamRod in

it, in 8 ohm. This gave me a single 10" 8ohm cab with a nice slant for a top. The 10" cab has a single jack. To con-

nect all this I run a cable from the single 10" into one of the jacks on the 2x12 then another cable from the second

jack on the 2x12 into the 4ohm jack on the VJ. Two 8ohm cabs in parallel = 4 ohms. I forgot to mention that the

10" cab is in a half back configuration.

So how's it all sound? I'm thrilled with it. The sealed cab gives a punchy tone without being flabby on the low end

and the Hellatones, (pre-exercised Cellestions), compliment the Marshall modded toned VJ well. The half backed 10"

RamRod cab adds a raw high end that I like, blends and fills well with the characteristics of the 2x12 without either

trying to do the others intended job. It is bright when dimed on the guitars' tone control but still falls just short of

what some might term ice-pick highs. Cutting would be a good way to describe it I guess, but together- the cabs

still have a warmth that is surprising. This is using G-400's and humbuckers through it, single coils sound good too,

but this setup seems to favor humbuckers more-so than the LadyLuck equipped Epi cabs do: at least to my ears.

I thought I might need to kick-up the power considering what I was attempting to move speaker-wise. So far that's

just not been the case. I don't play out with it, or compete with a drummer but it's loud enough right now for the

neighbors to call the cops with the VJ on just past 3/4 volume. I've got a E-H English Muff'n I'm gonna try on it some-

time: but I've just been having too much fun with it the way it is right now to even care. I'm not real straight on the

electrical theory but I think, (somebody chime in here), that by running this whole mess into the 4 ohm jack it gains

volume but looses some stability(?). and the stability isn't really a factor if the components can support it(?) It's

worked well for months and nothing has caught fire, or broke down so it must be up to the task.

I went into the project with high hopes and what I thought made decent sense as far as a plan to cover a lotta tone

range for a full, and projected sound that was well defined in any area of the frequency reproduced. I'm amazed

that it came out like it did. I got lucky on a few educated guesses since I had no real idea as to what I was doing.

I'm sure I'm biased after how much, work was done to achieve the tone I got: but danged if ain't real close to what

I'd hoped for. Hope my experiences will aid you in some way on your own personal tone quest.....

Wedgie

Hmmm... But! If a 4x12 is a half stack, wouldn't a 2x12 therefore be a half a half stack? And if you add a 1x10 (quarter half stack), I come up with a half and a quarter half stack! ](*,)

'Course, that's just my dollar & two thirty seven cent on the subject, ](*,) but who cares what it's called as long as it rocks!

Gil...

This sounds oddly familiar... if eight 12's equals a stack .... that would mean each 12" would be 1/8th.

So two 12" would be 2/8ths or a quarter stack. If we add a single 10" that would be 5/6ths of the 1/8th

represented by a 12". Following this, my arrangement would equate to something just shy of a 3/8ths

stack. Call 'em whut they is....

Gil, other than the screwy math reguarding stack fractions, is that bit about the four ohm tap providing

more/louder output correct?

Wedgie

Louder and possibly a little cleaner, maybe. Maybe. It'd be kinda hard to tell without a pair of twin amps to compare with an A/B switch or whatever, and even then is it the speakers or the amp? Anyway, I shall go ponder the fractional stack equation. With the help of a little more math inhibitor, I should be at it all night. =D>

Gil...

Archived