Gibson Brands Forums

Pitched Headstocks

charlie brown

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's that extra lump of wood in the joint of the neck and headstock.

well meesa thinks that my volute is a lot prettier than that' date=' regardless of what

youssa thinks ..its more triangular shaped and has a maple stripe between

the pieces of walnut... Volutes are...well..good for the

guitar neck and maybe even for the soul...nothing to be ashamed of.

[img']http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/carverDan1/voluteontheLegacy.jpg[/img]

..and oh yes..some very good beer!

:-

.... some decent beer' date=' perhaps......please, PLEASE recommend me a great, GREAT Canadian beer ....I'd be happy to try it, but any Canadian beer I've had up 'til now has been "OK" at best. Seriously, am open to serious recommendations...thank you, and carry on :- FWIW, Mrs Fuelish's favorite beer is Molson Canadian...perhaps from growing up very near Detroit and the whole RedWings culture (if "culture" and RedWings" can be used together without discussing germs or viruses or something even more distasteful than growing up in Wayne County) .... J/K, all'y'all - mostly ;) dang, this forum has not enough emoticons that one would use regularly....annoying, in the least !!!default_eusa_wall.gif

.... some decent beer' date=' perhaps......please, PLEASE recommend me a great, GREAT Canadian beer ....I'd be happy to try it, but any Canadian beer I've had up 'til now has been "OK" at best. Seriously, am open to serious recommendations...thank you, and carry on [/quote']

Yes there is some heavily advertised "commercial swill"..but there is also quality too.

I could tell you....but then I'd have to k*ll you. (joke expression here)..well here's some of my fav's.

So many good microbrewies that it's hard to start. Sleemans is good,

so isBrick Brewing Co, (waterloo dark), Kawartha Brewing Co, Wellington County,

Keith's from Nova Scotia..excellent red, and lots of "BrewByYou" local places,

where you can do your own too.

I was bartender at a place in St. Helena, Napa Valley California. We had a beer on tap called, "Fishhead" that I believe was a Canadian micro recipe brewed in Oregon... Is that familiar to you? Gooooood Bier (beer).........J

Yeah' date=' and enough of any of them, and you won't care what kind of headstock you have, valuted or not! LOL!!

(Just to stay a "little bit" on topic... ;>) )

CB[/quote']

Friday night at the Epi Forum "pub" already..Al's here and so are a few of the regulars.

I was bartender at a place in St. Helena' date=' Napa Valley California. We had a beer on tap called, "Fishhead" that I believe was a Canadian micro recipe brewed in Oregon... Is that familiar to you? Gooooood Bier (beer).........J[/quote']

Well Oregon is one of the states that I never got too..but I've been to Montana, Idaho

and Washington state, California and Az. ..I've been everywhere man..crossed the

deserts bare man, travelled and drank my share man..I've been (almost) everywhere.

No fishheads for me..but I one drank a glass of that Aussie wine "Cats Pee on a

Gooseberry Bush"..sorry my Epi friends in Australia.. I still prefer Fosters.

Well Oregon is one of the states that I never got too..but I've been to Montana' date=' Idaho

and Washington state, California and Az. ..I've been everywhere man..crossed the

deserts bare man, travelled and drank my share man..I've been (almost) everywhere.

No fishheads for me..but I one drank a glass of that Aussie wine "Cats Pee on a

Gooseberry Bush"..sorry my Epi friends in Australia.. I still prefer Fosters. [/quote']

Grins..............J

As long as that fine German beer is cheaper than the domestic Canadian stuff that's what I'll be drinking.

Interesting side note on headstock angles; the nominal spec on a Gibson is 17 degrees although they went with a shallower angle in the terrible seventies. Epiphone also makes do with a shallower 14-degree angle, most likely for economic reasons i.e. to save wood.

I hate to be uneducated here' date=' particularly as long as I've been around - So....What exactly is a volute ?[/quote']

Well I'm a bit confused on the definition, but I'm doing this of my own volution. :-)

gleaned from the net...

(A volute is a spiral scroll-like ornament that forms the basis of the Ionic order, found in the capital of the Ionic column. It was later incorporated into Corinthian order and Composite column capitals. Four are normally to be found on an Ionic capital, eight on Composite capitals and smaller versions (sometimes called helix) on the Corinthian capital.

The word derives from the Latin voluta ("scroll"). It has been suggested that the ornament was inspired by the curve of a ram's horns, or perhaps was derived from the natural spiral of the ovule of a common species of clover native to Greece. Alternatively, it may simply be of geometrical origins.

The ornament is used as an element of Renaissance and Baroque architecture and is a common decoration in furniture design, silver and ceramics. A method of drawing the complex geometry was devised by the ancient Roman architect Vitruvius from classical buildings and )....snip..

Wow.. Corithian, Ionic, Roman, Renaissance and Baroque.... so...the lowly volute has risen to higher esteem!

Do yourself a favor and disregard anything that a$$wipe Ed Roman has to say about Gibson's (or any other guitars for that matter!). He's a jerk!

Come on layboomo, tell us what you really think about this guy.... lol

But he does ask below in "This Next Section Will Astound You !! (paraphrased) "even an Epiphone...Why don't their necks break??" On a thread awhile back we discussed 'scarf joints' (two piece necks) on the Epis, making LP'S less expensive to produce with the 14 degree angle, while the Gibbys are one piece necks with a 17 degree angle... RotcanX and carverman explained the two separate issues.

I'm curious... If per chance this guy is not full of BS, does the fact that an Epi having a scarf joint make them less prone to a headstock break? The point has been made that, "a properly glued joint, is stronger than wood" and wouldn't that include a voluted or "beefed up" portion of the headstock? (Actually a volute is a scroll)...........J

This Next Section Will Astound You !!

We fix more Gibson Les Paul & SG Broken necks than all other broken necks put together from all the other companies in the world put together!!! Here's the real funny part !!! I cannot remember ever fixing a broken neck on any Les Paul Copy. I'm sure some of them had to break but in my 33 years in this business I personally cannot remember ever seeing one. There are over 100 companies out there that make dead on Les Paul Copies & probably about 500 of them that make close approximations. There are countless more that make singlecut style guitars in various shapes, weights & sizes. I have personally seen forgeries and actual counterfeit guitars. I swear to the fact that I cannot remember ever fixing a broken neck on any of those guitars.

Whether it be an Ibanez, Tokai, Heritage, Tradition, Samick, Washburn, Dean, Hamer, PRS, Burny, Jibson, Madore, Guild, Triggs, Tom Holmes, Stephenson, Dillion, or even an Epiphone which is Gibson's cheapo exact copy of their own guitar. Why don't their necks break? I have absolutely no idea, I'm supposed to be some kind of guitar guru and I'm completely at a loss to explain that. It's the mystery of the ages. It makes no sense!!! Yet facts are facts simple & true!!!

As long as that fine German beer is cheaper than the domestic Canadian stuff that's what I'll be drinking.

Interesting side note on headstock angles; the nominal spec on a Gibson is 17 degrees although they went with a shallower angle in the terrible seventies. Epiphone also makes do with a shallower 14-degree angle' date=' most likely for economic reasons i.e. to save wood.[/quote']

Don't know what you pay up there, but here in SoCal, Becks is over $8.00 for a sixer........J

Epi headstocks break just the same. Yes, a scarf joint would reinforce the neck, but if the scarfjoint doesn't run up the headstock there wouldn't be a point of having one in the first place except for cheaper production reasons. ER fails to mention a lot of people will be hesitant about spending money on a relative expensive fix for a cheap Les Paul clone.

Canadian beer.. what ever you do if you're near Montreal don't buy Laurentide... it tastes just like the Saint Lawrence River, and its name sounds like laundry detergent.

The problem with Ed Roman is his 'in your face' attitude, so it’s like listening to Ted Nugent. Wait a second, I like Ted….

Ed is a hard read but he has some good points too… I’m still trying to figure out his 24fret guitar by him stating that you don’t want the pickup under the intonation node on the 24th fret like so many 22 fret guitars since they sound like mud… but I can’t figure out his “off access 24fret is better by pushing the pickup farther down the neck”

My other point is.. if I had a $500 clone guitar.. why would I pay $250 ~ 500 to get it repaired?

I would pay that $500 for a $3000 guitar to get fixed but not on a $500 clone.. No wonder he hasn’t repaired any of the clones.

Yep. Why fix a broken headstock when a replacement is nearly the same cost as the repair? Especially since you can flog the busted neck on Ebay to recover the rest of the money needed for the replacement. Everybody wins! New guitar' date=' project guitar, and a guy to ***** about everything...[/quote']

Ah Gary..ya gotta inject a sense of humour in everything Like I mentioned previously in this thread, IF

they used a better grade of mahogany or whatever that neck wood is..they would be less prone to

breakage and the whole economy of the US would be undermined. It's "planed obsolence"..like some of

the cars you buy these days..if you abuse it..it aint gonna be covered by warranty, so you have to

buy a new one...somebody's gotta make some money off these "unfortunate incidents in life".

Epi headstocks break just the same. Yes' date=' a scarf joint would reinforce the neck, but if the scarfjoint doesn't run up the headstock there wouldn't be a point of having one in the first place [i']except[/i] for cheaper production reasons. ER fails to mention a lot of people will be hesitant about spending money on a relative expensive fix for a cheap Les Paul clone.

Yeah that and people know his reputation and they would never bring him a repair because they know the'll get raped by old ER! Do a couple of searches on how he treats his customers after the sale .....won't return phone calls etc...etc........you'll see a pattern. I don't mean to rant but the guy is a real slimeball.......trashing companies like Gibson and PRS and promoting his own way overpriced lines.

"My other point is.. if I had a $500 clone guitar.. why would I pay $250 ~ 500 to get it repaired?

I would pay that $500 for a $3000 guitar to get fixed but not on a $500 clone.. No wonder he hasn’t repaired any of the clones."

Exactly!

Planned obsolescence my ***! The decisions to use cheaper materials and/or methods are most often driven by bean counters, not designers. One might wonder why Gibson/Epi (or any other company) doesn't spend an extra 25 cents for this or 50 cents for that but it is simple math - 25 cents times millions of guitars is REAL money saved/additional profit for the company.

Planned obsolescence my ***! The decisions to use cheaper materials and/or methods are most often driven by bean counters' date=' not designers. One might wonder why Gibson/Epi (or any other company) doesn't spend an extra 25 cents for this or 50 cents for that but it is simple math - 25 cents times millions of guitars is REAL money saved/additional profit for the company.[/quote']

Ron! Ron! Chill..my Epi forum friend. You missed my bit of humour injected with

"planed"..not planned..obsolescence. Whew...the anger in your statement worries

me...but this thread has gone on long enough and come monday morning..the

admin at Epi/Gibson will make it disappear..so...why not vent ALL yer frustrations

out now!

Dem broken nek bluez...

I gots dem brok-en nek bluez

Cuz now my gee-tar cant be used

I was a fool to have whacke it

Now de nek has gone and cracked-it

Soz now Im in de doghouse today

Cuz the headstock has finally brok in two

Nows I'll hafta sell it on E-Bay

Or get some of that Goar-illa glew

I'll ask a price that re-dic-u-lous and flog it

and put them in a bidding frenzy war

They'll actually think its vintage rock and more

when I claim it was a Superstar guitar god that owned it

Now I jest woke up and stopped dreamin'

Reality sets in and stop schemin '

Maybe I can Gore-i-la glew it,

or just duct tape it together and say scr*w it.

and stop dem broken nek..bluezzzz.

=;](*,)

Nice to hear from Billy Mumy again... that video is a classic.

I've found that a scarf joint merely changes the break location.

nex.gif

No matter what the grade, you can't get over the fact that mahogany is not as strong as maple. Plus, the geometry of the angled headstock introduces a condition referred to as 'short grain' to the equation and any woodworker will know that short grain is weak.

Archived