Gibson Brands Forums

sheraton vs the dot

marcbc

Hey guys i have a question. i own a 98 sheraton that i added a bigsby too and i love i play mostly back crowes covers and drive by truckers and stuff like that. i was wondering if i should trade it in on a epiphone dot some of my friends think i should but i think there crazy and i think its a step backwards what do you think??

I don't know what you'd think you'd be gaining.

you'd lose your bigsby.. you'd lose your cosmetics.. neck is different.. wood isn't the same throughout.

I wouldn't sell my sheri for a dot.

I might buy a dot though.

a black one. *s*

I wouldn't do it. I own both. I put a Bigsby on my Dot and I love it, but I really like the thin neck profile on my Sherry over my Dot. The neck on my Dot is definitely chunkier than my Sherry. I don't know if it would really be a step down, but sideways as was already said. If you can afford it, hold onto your Sherry and get a Dot.

Hey guys i have a question. i own a 98 sheraton that i added a bigsby too and i love i play mostly back crowes covers and drive by truckers and stuff like that. i was wondering if i should trade it in on a epiphone dot some of my friends think i should but i think there crazy and i think its a step backwards what do you think??

I would keep what you have. Rich Robinson had that cherry red 335 with the bigsby he used a lot in the Crowes. Similiar vibe.

I used to have a cherry 68 335 with a factory bigsby I sold to buy an amp in the early 90s I no longer have. My friend had told me whatever I do don't ever get rid of that guitar. I'M AN IDIOT!

Well, we won't get started on all the guitars, we SHOULD have held on to, OK?

I've beat myself up, enough, about that...over the years. LOL! But, who knew,

back then, that any guitar, was going to be worth what some of them are, now?

It's that 20/20 "Hindsight," you know? ;>b

CB

As an owner of both, I'd say save up for a Dot, but keep your Sheri. Two different animals, especially in the neck, as stated before. I love my Dot, but I think of it as my "experiment" guitar, something I can upgrade without fear.

Hey.. Does anyone know if I can place mini-buckers in a Dot?

Well' date=' we won't get started on all the guitars, we SHOULD have held on to, OK?

I've beat myself up, enough, about that...over the years. LOL! But, who knew,

back then, that any guitar, was going to be worth what some of them are, now?

It's that 20/20 "Hindsight," you know? ;>b

CB[/quote']

I don't hold on to value so much as to what I like plus I was in my Ric phase back then too. Now being more of a HB 335, SG guy when I tried to replace that guitar to what I remembered and thinking back it was what I really wanted now and a Gibson IDIOT.

My Jorma comes pretty close. My satin 335 and my Supernova not having the bigsby nice but don't give me the same vibe as my old Gibson.

If I was really going to go down that road I had a Ric OS (double bound) 365-6 1966, just a few numbers off Petty's. Had that guitar for years but never played it and had it just because Petty had one too and pretty rare. Got rid of that too. Everything I have now I play.

If I'm afraid to play something now days I don't want it.

Good for you! My only real regret, is NOT what my old guitars (Gibson, Gretsch, Ric's) are worth now...

I just wish I had kept them, because I loved them. Guess my selling them, must have been "temporary

insanity?!" (That, and my "life" took a much different turn, back then.) LOL!

But, I've got pleny of guitars, these days, old and newer, and play them all!

CB

Archived