Gibson Brands Forums

Ever See A G400 Like This?

cujo

I've never seen a G400 like this http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-SG-PROTOTYPE-EBONY-WITH-PEARLOID-PICKGUARD_W0QQitemZ120268308714QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller says it's made in Nashville as a prototype....but the sticker on the back of the headstock says China..

The volume and tone pots are positioned like on a Gibson SG.

Very strange if it's legit.

The volume and tone pots are positioned like on a Gibson SG.

Uhhh.... No. Nowhere near. You need to go look at a Gibson SG some more.

Well' date=' he never actually claims it was [i']made[/i] in Nashville. That being said, it is a prototype, probably for the LE G-400 that they released with the...pearloid pickguard. I suppose what they may have done is grabbed a stock G-400 off the line and then fitted it with pearloid parts in Nashville.

BFD... not worth $600 in my view.

Mine has the black pearloid pickguard instead, but it's a made in Korea. Nothing special about them I don't think....at least not with mine. Ha.....be nice if they was worth 600 bucks.

Here's a blurry picture of mine

Epiphones2.jpg

Ok I did.

sgs-nb.jpg

e6df_12.jpg

Ok' date=' did you check the [i']angle[/i] of the Gibson knobs versus the G-400?

The jack, top knobs, and switch are supposed to be on a line. On the G-400 they aren't. The four knobs are supposed to form a parallelogram, not a square. [-(

Oh, and the jack should be a lot closer to the edge of the body.

SG7sm.jpg

I think this is "their" latest trick. A lot of people are well aware of the fakes by now. So now "they" start calling it prototypes. Great explanation for the inaccuracies found in these type of guitars. What bothers me most, is these people lying through their teeth about it...

"This guitar comes directly from the Gibson/Epiphone manufacturing facilities here in Nashville" I suppose if he meant parking lot technically he's not lying...

Even if I would believe it to be a genuine Epiphone proto-type, I hardly believe they will indicate it as such labeling the box...

Hi blokes, this one looks very simular to mine even has the SG on the truss cover, could it have to do with the fact that they are made in China as a way of distinction at all??

If not and the one from "Nashville" is a fake than mine is to, scary!!!

I bought mine from a very well known music shop in Melbourne, Australia, and it came straight out of the box. I was there when they bought it out and the salesman opened the box in front of me and my son. So this has me thinking if it is a fake than could they be made on mass and sold through dealers and how do I know if it's real or fake??

Cheers Ken.

I have the exact "prototype" G400. It was designated G400WP. I havent seen many though. Epiphone could not provide any info on it when I bought it. It was purchased new from an authorised dealer here in Australia in 2005.

It aint nothing special, just a run of the mill G400 with pearloid dressings. S/N: EE05.....

Ive seen it identified as EEG4WP.

http://www.nokturnl.com/desertsounds/brands/epiphone.htm

scroll down to "Electric Guitars" (no pic).

DSC00011r.jpg?t=1212924056imdaman_sml.jpg?t=1212924757

I've got a question regarding the serial number.

The photo depicting the head stock shows: DW0509.....

The last photo of the box shows: P-022....can't see the remaining numbers.

Why?

Glenn, maybe if you still have your original box, you could look and see if your numbers from the box and guitar match up.

I've got a question regarding the serial number.

The photo depicting the head stock shows: DW0509.....

The last photo of the box shows: P-022....can't see the remaining numbers.

Why?

Glenn' date=' maybe if you still have your original box, you could look and see if your numbers from the box and guitar match up. [/quote']

No, I dont have the box any longer. It was in a standard Epiphone box. It definately did not have that Proto label on it. From memory, it had G400WP hand written on it with a sharpee. I now recall seeing one on Utube. I'll try a find it again. Hah! Found it. This aint me [-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLXxHFxQUsI

Your guitar was made at the

Deawon Plant, China

September 2005

Production Number: 4091

Daewon Musical Instrument Co.

Daewon Musical Instrument Co., ltd. Established in Kyunggi-do, Korea in 1991. Established Daewon China factory in Dalian, Northern China In 2001.

FYI, the Guitar Dater Project does not validate, in any way, the legitimacy of a serial number. For example:

Your guitar was made at the

Deawon Plant, China

February 2011

Production Number: 1234

Edit: and they can't even spell Daewon

I think we are getting a bit crazy with the indications of what makes a fake...if you have the epiphone catalog, you

can see that the vintage / faded G400 has "SG" on the TRC...and the series is called the "SG Series"...why do they

put SG on the TRC? Obviously because of the Gibson connection!

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=25&CollectionID=16

http://www.epiphone.com/press/VINTG400-WB.jpg

RotcanX' date='

If you didn't already know it was an Epiphone...what would give it away? (You can't see a name on the headstock)

[img']http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/bobbydamm/SG%20Custom/158400163.jpg[/img]

These knobs surely aren't in a square unless I'm blind.

Well, the upper cutaway is the wrong shape. The bevels are a joke. The colour is so Epiphone. And the knobs are not in a square, you're right.. but they are still not in the correct positions. The output jack needs to be way closer to the edge. The volume knobs need to be a lot farther from the switch. Here's a backside shot of a genuine SG control cavity:

65SGcavity.jpg

...check the required spacing between the volume knobs and the switch.

Archived