Gibson Brands Forums

epi lucille?

jblues

Well I am new to the form, I seem to have a hard time finding out any info on epi guitars on other forums, so what other way to find out other than going to the epi forms. I am 99.9 percent sure I will be buying this guitar soon. No music shops around me have this model to try for the hands on experince.So thats kinda out of the question. My main question is am I limited to only using these PU's in the guitar or can I change them to something else later if I dont like them? If they can be changed what are some PU's that help it shine? I was thinking maybe SD pearly gate or maybe a PAF style. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Well I am new to the form' date=' I seem to have a hard time finding out any info on epi guitars on other forums, so what other way to find out other than going to the epi forms. I am 99.9 percent sure I will be buying this guitar soon. No music shops around me have this model to try for the hands on experince.So thats kinda out of the question. My main question is am I limited to only using these PU's in the guitar or can I change them to something else later if I dont like them? If they can be changed what are some PU's that help it shine? I was thinking maybe SD pearly gate or maybe a PAF style. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

I notice you're in SC...

I'm assuming that's South Carolina

If so and you're near Charlotte NC

you should call Sam Ash there

ask to speak to someone about the Epiphone Lucille

on the wall.

It is Korean made.

Very beautiful

$699.

Well I am new to the form' date=' I seem to have a hard time finding out any info on epi guitars on other forums, so what other way to find out other than going to the epi forms. I am 99.9 percent sure I will be buying this guitar soon. No music shops around me have this model to try for the hands on experince.So thats kinda out of the question. My main question is am I limited to only using these PU's in the guitar or can I change them to something else later if I dont like them? If they can be changed what are some PU's that help it shine? I was thinking maybe SD pearly gate or maybe a PAF style. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

To answer your direct question...Yes! You can always change pickups, to whatever you want!

As to if you'll "need" to?? Only YOU can answer that one.

Peace! Well, maybe in the next life?

CB

Mods to a Lucille??? Like this???

l_0fa6864e0e1d26c8248e334d4c1cb4a1.jpg

Yes you can always change the PUs. I had one for a few weeks and was not unhappy with the stock PUs.

Mine had a wiring issue so I returned it.

I still have the opinion all Epiphone humbuckers are not the same. The Lucille I had and my Jorma seemed to be pretty much the same and very close in tone to my Gibson 335. My Supernova does not sound the same it's in the same league as my bandmates Dot tone wise.

Several members here have had good things to say about the GFS PUs and I think I'm going to try a set of the 59s in that guitar and see what happens.

well I guess maybe I should have worded my question a little better. I am not sure if "any" PU will work with the varitone switch. If I did decide to change the PU I would still like to be able to use the varitone switch. thanks alot guys.

also I see so many ppl kicking epi's compared to gibsons I know they are alot cheaper money wise they seem to still have good quality, espically for budget minded players.

well I guess maybe I should have worded my question a little better. I am not sure if "any" PU will work with the varitone switch. If I did decide to change the PU I would still like to be able to use the varitone switch. thanks alot guys.

also I see so many ppl kicking epi's compared to gibsons I know they are alot cheaper money wise they seem to still have good quality' date=' espically for budget minded players.

[/quote']

I had one from the U plant which was great minus the wiring problem Sam Ash would not do anything about so I just returned it. If you can find an I plant one you should be fine.

I is the Saein plant in Korea and both they and the R Peerless plant IMO seem to have the best QC in the standard Epiphone line.

Yes if you change the PUs you should still be able to use the varitone. You have the advantage that the Lucille has the back panel to get to all the wires. If you trace the PU leads and replace them one by one you should be ok. There are a lot of wires in that one. I looked in mine when I had the problem but just gave up and returned the guitar.

jblues asked:

well I guess maybe I should have worded my question a little better. I am not sure if "any" PU will work with the varitone switch. If I did decide to change the PU I would still like to be able to use the varitone switch. thanks alot guys

Yes. The Varitone switch is a kind of more radical tone control, that uses a series of capacitors to alter the eq of the pickups' output, but it will work with any pickups. I've got a Varitone to install on one of my other guitars, and it only has two wires --- one to connect to the output jack and the other to one of the existing tone controls, so it wouldn't care what pickups were in place. The resulting SOUND will of course vary depending on the pickups used, but the function will certainly be there.

The Epi Lucille is a great guitar, and different from other semi-hollows. HEAVIER, for one, by a good bit, and much quieter acoustically since there are no f-holes. The Varitone is a great feature for tonal variety, and it allows you to blend in or cut through a mix quickly and easily. Here's mine:

EpiLucille.jpg

Mine is an '06 from the Unsung plant, and it is pretty much flawless now. When I got it the varitone assembly was flopping around and the bridge was a bit rattly (like most Epi's), but they were both quick fixes.

The stock pickups don't sound half bad, but they were a bit lifeless. I found about 2 lbs. of potting wax inside the stock pickups, and after unpotting them and reassembling them it was like brand new pickups. The basic tone didn't change but it was like taking a blanket off the amp. I noticed a lot more subtle dynamics afterwards. Be warned though removing the excess wax is not for the faint of heart and you could easily ruin your pickups, but it worked out on mine.

- Jay

Well this just makes me all the happier to get this guitar. really wanting to see how she sounds through my amp I am using a peavey 900 power amp with a evans pre-amp and a rocktron intellifex with 2 eminence big ben's. hope she purr's when i want her and growls when I need her!

thanks guys this has helped me out alot

Archived