Gibson Brands Forums

Keith playing an Epi while being insulted by Dean Martin

james_edward

Dean's making jokes about the current length of teenagers hair of the times and using the name Rolling Stones to make a joke about himself getting rolled while he was stoned but where does Dean insult the Rolling Stones in this video?

Dean's making jokes about the current length of teenagers hair of the times and using the name Rolling Stones to make a joke about himself getting rolled while he was stoned but where does Dean insult the Rolling Stones in this video?

I didn't click on the clip...high-speed internet is FINALLY being installed at home tomorrow...praise the gods!

But I've seen it before. It's from the 'Hollywood Palace' variety show. The comment , "I've been rolled, and I've been stoned...but look at these guys!" could be taken as an insult. I personally think it's pretty funny...although the Stones weren't too amused by it.

Later in the show, Dean introduced a gymnast doing a trampoline act by saying, "This is the father of the Rolling Stones. He's been trying to kill himself for years now."

He says "I've been rolled while I was stoned myself...so...I don't don't know what they are singing about but here they are."

He does roll his eyes when he says "weren't they great" which is insulting but it's all part of his acting like a drunk humor.

Afterwards he breaks for a commercial and tells the viewers not to go anywhere "You don't want to leave me alone with the Rolling Stones do you?" again insulting but he's going back to his joke of being rolled while he was stoned and it implies that they might roll him this time. Part of his drunk humor routine that he would use to launch his celebrity roast career later on. It also solidifies the Rolling Stones bad boy image which they themselves were seeking to distinguish them from their more clean cut rival the Beatles and Dave Clark Five.

did you know dean martin was a huge country music fan and recorded numerous country records?

I'm going to really date myself here but I remember watching that particular "Hollywood Palace" show on a Saturday night way back when.... and the parents of the friends' I was spending that night with loved "Dino" and his "drunk" schtick and also loved the picking apart of the new acts like the Stones...I also recall, I think it was, Milton Berle having the Beat...(can I say that word? ) on The Hollywood Palace around this time and the same thing. Somewhere about this time it was also decided in my eleven year olds social circle that The Stones and the Yardbirds were groups for guys and The Beat...ermmm those guys and Herman's Hermits and The Dave Clark Five were for the girls. It wasn't until May of 1967 when I won a sales contest when I was a Detroit News carrier and went to Montreal and the opening week of Expo '67 that I became a huge Beatles fan...I was very young and hanging out with much older guys (like sixteen lol) who all seemed to like them and at that point in time they were all over the radio in Montreal and at Expo '67. I returned home just in time for the release of Sgt. Pepper and I've been hopeless ever since lol.

He did roll his eyes back when saying they were great, and it didn't seem like part of the drunk act. In 1964, middle-aged

America didn't seem to understand the British Invasion or long hair. My father mocked and ridiculed every Beatles song I ever played at home until I just locked myself in my room to listen to them, through headphones. He was amazed that a band with NO talent was so popular.

He did roll his eyes back when saying they were great' date=' and it didn't seem like part of the drunk act. In 1964, middle-aged

America didn't seem to understand the British Invasion or long hair. My father mocked and ridiculed every Beatles song I ever played at home until I just locked myself in my room to listen to them, through headphones. He was amazed that a band with NO talent was so popular. [/quote']

Well, in retrospect, can you blame them? History has certainly proven that generation wrong in their regard of the 60s groups, but music and entertainment as they knew it was completely changing before their eyes. And not everybody liked it.

I'm assuming at least some of the people here have watched the DVDs of the complete Ed Sullivan shows that the 'Beat...errrmmmm' (© Iconclast) appeared on. It's almost like watching artifacts from an ancient era! What passed for entertainment in those days was pretty poor indeed. Frank Gorshin's 'celebrity impressions' would get him booed off the stage at the local Chuckle Hut these days. Dance acts? A mouse puppet?

Imagine sitting through an hour of this dreck...then suddenly seeing and hearing the Beat...errrmmmm, Stones, or Yardbirds. Talk about the shock of the new!

I remember vowing when I saw adults rejecting music because it was new and different that I would NEVER be like that.

But you know...here I am, about to turn 45...and I cannot stand most rap music. I think (the majority of it) is repetitive, boneheaded, sonically crappy, and the lyrical content is garbage.

Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it...:-k

Well' date=' in retrospect, can you blame them? History has certainly proven that generation wrong in their regard of the 60s groups, but music and entertainment as they knew it was completely changing before their eyes. And not everybody liked it.

I'm assuming at least some of the people here have watched the DVDs of the complete Ed Sullivan shows that the 'Beat...errrmmmm' (© Iconclast) appeared on. It's almost like watching artifacts from an ancient era! What passed for entertainment in those days was pretty poor indeed. Frank Gorshin's 'celebrity impressions' would get him booed off the stage at the local Chuckle Hut these days. Dance acts? A mouse puppet?

Imagine sitting through an hour of this dreck...then suddenly seeing and hearing the Beat...errrmmmm, Stones, or Yardbirds. Talk about the shock of the new!

I remember vowing when I saw adults rejecting music because it was new and different that I would NEVER be like that.

But you know...here I am, about to turn 45...and I cannot stand most rap music. I think (the majority of it) is repetitive, boneheaded, sonically crappy, and the lyrical content is garbage.

Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it...:-k [/quote']

I'm amazed that rap music still exists 20 years after its inception. But it can boast quantity over quality.

Listening to the WiFi Russian 'Beat...errrmmmm' (© Iconclast) station most of the weekend each week, I'm impressed by the number of other artists who have recorded ther songs in so many different ways. And listening to the Sirius Blues station most of the rest of the week, I'm amazed by the number of songs recorded during the British Invasion that were Blues songs in mono 10-20 years before the 60's.

I have a DGG CD of 'Beat...errrmmmm' (© Iconclast) music played on classical guitar. I'm betting that I won't see a classical guitar album of rap. I think that makes it poetry rather than music.

Well, it makes sense... you have Dean Martin, representing the older generation of singers along with people like Sinatra, Prima, Crosby, etc. and they are just as impressed by the rock'n'roll phenomenon as the parents of the fans were. Deep down I'm sure he realized that his time in the spotlight was coming to and end and at the same time he probably couldn't relate to the new music... probably thought it was a 'fad' that wouldn't last.

Discussing this 'generation gap' thing brings me back to those days & my relationship with my father. The first 'gig' I ever played was back in the 9th grade when I played in a 'band' (I use the term loosely) & we played for a junior high dance. Since we lived right across the street from the school, my folks snuck over to watch us. I spotted my father standing in the back of the gym and he stayed for exactly two songs, waved his hand at me in a disgusting manner, and walked out. That was the first & only time he ever watched me play for about 15 years.

I played professionally for 17 years starting when I was 16 & when I was about 30 the old man confessed to me that he never actually believed that I was earning money from playing music and actually thought I was dealing drugs! He couldn't fathom the idea that I actually improved enough to play decent & since I wasn't playing Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin music he couldn't believe that anyone would ever pay money to see me play.*

Finally, when I was about 30, I was playing a gig in the town my folks lived in at the time & my mom browbeated him into going to see us and he was SHOCKED to discover that we sounded like a professional band!

*EDIT: What he actually said was he couldn't believe anybody would pay money to hear 'that crap' (which was how he described ANY music that didn't fit into the Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin genre). When I told him that I had written about 1/3 of 'that crap' he said "Well, it's a good thing you learned how to play that guitar because you'll never make a dime as a songwriter". Sadly, he was right about that (although I did make several thousand dollars writing commercial jingles).

The first time my "garage band" played in the garage (ca. 1965), the self-righteous Bible thumper across the street called the police on us. It appears that he felt that the Rolling Stones et al. were thinly-veiled Satan worshipers. No more practices at my house.

Well, I seem to have been luckier, than most here...when it came to parental approval of

BEATLES music! My Mom got ME out of bed, to come see them on a newsreel clip from England,

that was being played on the "Jack Parr" show, 6 weeks or so before Ed Sullivan. We were

to go to the orthodontist, in Wichita, the next morning, and after that dentist appointment,

she took me to Innes Department store (Like Macy's), to the record department where we

obtained a copy of "Meet The Beatles," and I thought she'd just hand it to me, to go into the

listening booth, alone. NO...she wanted to see what all the fuss was about, too. So...in we

went, and She liked them as much as I did. "John" was her favorite!

She later bought me tickets to go see them "live" (August 1966) at Busch Stadium, in St. Louis.

And fully supported my "rock & roll" efforts, then and afterwards.

She died in 2003, at 94! Here's to you Mom!!

CB

Well' date=' in retrospect, can you blame them? History has certainly proven that generation wrong in their regard of the 60s groups, but music and entertainment as they knew it was completely changing before their eyes. And not everybody liked it.

Sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it...:-k [/quote']

It sure does...

my mom saw the beatles play the 1st DC show and my parents were at the "electric" forest hills dylan show (and several preceding

newport folk festivals) so no problems here...I used to bring their LP copy of Sgt. Pepper's to third grade snack time every day...

I think a pivotal moment for the collective parental disdain of the British invasion was the night Paul played Yesterday

on Sullivan. I'm sure that a lot of parental units, not just mine, couldn't deny that the song was a gem, and that

perhaps this new stuff wasn't so bad. Little did they know that soon, most of the "elevator music" that they heard

would be songs from their kids' favorite musicians.

That was a great clip. Be sure to find the version that has both songs. That may be the sharpest, best looking clip that I've seen on You tube from that era. The Stones looked great, hard to believe they were ever that young. I guess nearly 45 years of hard living could alter you a bit. Thanks for finding that gem.

Doc... "The Beat...ermmm" is in sarcastic wit ever since there was a Beatles thread that had no or not enough Epiphone content and was killed by the mods. You would think that a band as the Beatles who played Epiphones and by doing so sold hundreds of Epiphones would be treated with a little more tolerance.

I'm not sure if I understand.....why can't we say Beatles?

Why are some people typing Beat...ummmerrrr?

Can someone please fill me in.

Any thread not dealing specifically with Epiphone Electrics is verboten. In much the same way that Gretsch guitar forums are never allowed to talk about Chet Atkins.

Any thread not dealing specifically with Epiphone Electrics is verboten. In much the same way that Gretsch guitar forums are never allowed to talk about Chet Atkins.

<-----------

<-------------------

<---------------------------------

Gotcha. Loud and clear.

Archived