Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Versus Vintage G-400?

iansmitchell

I'm getting some birthday money coing soon, and I'm going to be doing two things:

A. New speakers for the twin

B. Adding a G-400 to my arsenal.

I'm going with either a G-400 Or a Vintage G-400

Can somebody tell me the differences between the two?

I'd also, if possible, like to see some high-res (or atleast better than MF's) pictures of each.

I've seen the "Faded Cherry" ones, in Guitar Center...with the neck binding, too...they were,

as in most cases, varied. Some were quite light, others darker. Don't think there's any way

of telling, without seeing the guitar "in person." The "worn brown" was nice, too...one had

a particularly nice grain structure...very unusual. I think (now) I should have bought it, for that

reason, alone. LOL!

CB

I've seen the "Faded Cherry" ones' date=' in Guitar Center...with the neck binding, too...they were

as in most cases, varied. Some were quite light, others darker. Don't think there's any way

of telling, without seeing the guitar "in person." The "worn brown" was nice, too...one had

a particularly nice grain structure...very unusual. I think (now) I should have bought it, for that

reason, alone. LOL!

CB [/quote']

Well, due to the piss poor state of music stores in my area(one is all fender and ibanez,with a single gibson SG, another is a used store, which pretty much is just acoustics, basses, and banjos, the rest are pawn shops) , i'm stuck buying online or driving 2 hours one way to the nearest guitar center.

WHat was that site where you can actually see THE GUITAR that you're buying?

I heard from a friend of mine who said faded finishes alter the tone of the guitar itself. Is that true? He was really vague about it. So I'm very confused on such a topic. =

It may mean a thinner finish, which would greatly improve tone and be a real blesssing...

It may mean a thinner finish' date=' which would greatly improve tone and be a real blesssing...[/quote']

I'd have a tendency to agree, with that. Less paint, less inhibitor of tone. But, that's a very

"general" statement/conclusion, and subject to being WRONG! LOL! I do know, that "Highway 1"

Strat, I have and the "Faded" double cut Gibson LP, are both lightly finished, and both are very

resonant, guitars...unplugged. So...???

CB

I've never seen binding on a regular G-400 in my life.

I was looking at a Vintage G400 at a shop here, and it had neck binding, the other '61 copies didn't.

I stand corrected, it was the FADED G400 had binding.

Actually you were right the first time. The G-400 Vintage had aged fret markers, a bound fingerboard and a one-piece neck. It was also more expensive. They eventually replaced it with the Faded G-400, which usually doesn't have the fingerboard binding. There may be a lot of NOS G-400 Vintage models kicking around which adds to the confusion.

Original G-400 Vintage on the right:

threesgs.jpg

Actually you were right the first time. The G-400 Vintage had aged fret markers' date=' a bound fingerboard and a one-piece neck. It was also more expensive. They eventually replaced it with the Faded G-400, which usually doesn't have the fingerboard binding. There may be a lot of NOS G-400 Vintage models kicking around which adds to the confusion.

Original G-400 Vintage on the right:

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/threesgs.jpg[/img]

Well the pictures of the vintage G-400 on MF are similar to the faded on epiphone's site, but NOS is possible.

The Faded G-400 on the Epiphone site definitely does not have a bound fingerboard. MF is showing a "Vintage G-400 and amp pak" that does have the binding. The Epiphone press site shows a Cherry Vintage G-400 with binding and a brown G-400 Faded without binding, but refer to both as 'Vintage G-400s'. Like I said, it gets confusing really fast.

The Faded G-400 on the Epiphone site definitely does not have a bound fingerboard. MF is showing a "Vintage G-400 and amp pak" that does have the binding. The Epiphone press site shows a Cherry Vintage G-400 with binding and a brown G-400 Faded without binding' date=' but refer to both as 'Vintage G-400s'. Like I said, it gets confusing really fast.[/quote']

Quite.

Well, I think I'll try my luck on the musicians friend vintage G-400 without the amp.

I do hope it has binding, because such makes the guitar so much more comfortable.

One of the things I really wish for on my dot.

Well the pictures of the vintage G-400 on MF are similar to the faded on epiphone's site' date=' but NOS is possible.[/quote']

Many of the sites use old stock photos. You can find the old Dots with the huge 90s bridge still floating around and MF still has the turquise Wildkat on their site that I wanted to order until I finaly clicked the options and started looking.

Your best bet if ordering online is Sweetwater as they show photos of the actual guitars online and let you pick by serial number what you want so you are getting what you see.

Many of the sites use old stock photos. You can find the old Dots with the huge 90s bridge still floating around and MF still has the turquise Wildkat on their site that I wanted to order until I finaly clicked the options and started looking.

Your best bet if ordering online is Sweetwater as they show photos of the actual guitars online and let you pick by serial number what you want so you are getting what you see.

I checked sweetwater.

Oddly enough they don' stock the vintage or faded G-400.

Those frickin' IDIOTS at MF. They list some of their items as 'G400' and they list others as 'G-400', and their search function will not find 'G-400' if you search for 'G400' and vice versa.

They are definitely showing the Vintage G-400 model and they are calling it that... so theoretically it should come with a bound neck. However we've already ascertained that the guys at MF have two-digit IQs so I guess you'll have to wait and see.

Those frickin' IDIOTS at MF. They list some of their items as 'G400' and they list others as 'G-400'' date=' and their search function will not find 'G-400' if you search for 'G400' and vice versa.

They are definitely showing the Vintage G-400 model and they are calling it that... so theoretically it should come with a bound neck. However we've already ascertained that the guys at MF have two-digit IQs so I guess you'll have to wait and see.[/quote']

Well, I'm out 300 bucks at worst, I guess.

Plus I'll be putting new electronics, so really, the neck binding would be a nice extra for the feel, and thin finish would be nice for the tone, as well.

I agree with MF being idiots, like not telling you something's on a two moth backorder until you've already paid. :-k

Welp, was farting around ebay just now, and typed up "Faded G400", and the very first guitar on the list was a cherry model, with neck binding. That was the only one I saw on that list, so I'm thinking some have it, some don't. Maybe depends what kind of mood their in at the factory that particular day???

Huh. I was under the assumption that the Vintage G-400s' date=' or Faded G-400s, or whatever they are called don't have the neck binding anymore. This has me curious, I think I'll email Gibson and ask them.[/quote']

Good deal man, hope tehy get back to ya before i even have the birthday cash.

Archived