Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever play one of these guitars? :) + Picasso + Museum Guitars (Gibson, Epi and weird)

Notes_Norton

No actually I have to say that I haven't ..pity! But maybe I can

build one for my next guitar project..I just need the dimensions

and angles and stuff like that. Whoever made that was definitely

pushing the boundaries of guitar making..and maybe for a one off

that's a good thing...it's definitely a one up on the Jimmy Page double

necks.

Looks like some ole trick photograpy to me. A classical guitar can't support

all that tension from steel strings...but now that we have exposed it...

I'm still game to try and build one, with pickups too and a 5 way switch

to select different tones. B)

Can you say Picasso?

Say it? How do you spell that Ron? Didn't he do some musical montages "3 musicians".

"woman playing piano"...but mostly cubist art forms...this doesn't quite look like

a cubist painting..but it could be. Could be a Greco?..not the guitar.

Never played one' date=' but I did watch Pat Methany play one, and he even gave me one of his personalized picks later. I think that instrument may have been designed for him, but I may be wrong on that.[/quote']

Yep. I think carverman is right...the pics Notes posted are Photoshopped variations on the Picasso. I just don't see a spruce top supporting a bass neck!

GT175_28g.jpg

Picasso did a beautiful painting in his blue period called 'The Old Guitarist':

old-guitarist-picasso1.jpg

I'll pass on those guitars' date=' Notes...my G-1275 is as many strings as I want to tackle at a time![/quote']

I have a poster and postcard of Picasso's "The Old Guitarist"..,I figure that's what I'm gonna look like

if I live to be that old.:)

I agree with you...a 12 string is about as many strings as I care to tackle at this moment. I still have

so much to learn yet about the six-string guitar. A lifetime won't be enough because there's so much you

can do.:-k

And when is Epi going to come out with one?

Doesn't exactly look like a good candidate for mass production' date=' Bob. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for an Epi version... or even a Gibson version for that matter. These kinds of 'lunatic fringe' guitars are only made by particularly obsessed luthiers who sell maybe one every five years or so.

Epiphone did have a 'harp' guitar at some time way back when.

[img']http://www.epiphone.com/thevintagecollection/images/HARP1.jpg[/img]

No actually I have to say that I haven't ..pity! But maybe I can

build one for my next guitar project..I just need the dimensions

and angles and stuff like that. Whoever made that was definitely

pushing the boundaries of guitar making..and maybe for a one off

that's a good thing...it's definitely a one up on the Jimmy Page double

necks.

Looks like some ole trick photograpy to me. A classical guitar can't support

all that tension from steel strings...but now that we have exposed it...

I'm still game to try and build one' date=' with pickups too and a 5 way switch

to select different tones. =D> [/quote']

No trick photography at all...the guitar Pat Methany is playing was made by a luthier named Linda Manzer and the guitar is called the "Pikasso I". Manzer also does more conventional instruments but none are ever going to be offered as Epiphone models so I guess the most some here can hope for is that Epiphone decides to use a Gibson headstock on their guitars..

http://www.manzer.com/

...and as far as Picasso and cubism goes...the easiest way to understand what Pablo was doing, which often looks strange and disoriented, is to understand about Mercator projection which is a way of taking a globe and making a two dimensional image of it which while accurate in true bearings and setting courses, the sizes of land masses distort as one heads either north or south of the equator so that Greenland appears much larger than say Mexico...which it is not...Picasso took three dimensional objects and "projected" them into a two dimensional form...as if you took a solid object such as a doll and flattened it completely flat ...

Yep. I think carverman is right...the pics Notes posted are Photoshopped variations on the Picasso. I just don't see a spruce top supporting a bass neck!

Are those drone strings underneath Pat Methany's 12/6 string instrument? Would that provide a sitar like

sound?

Are those drone strings underneath Pat Methany's 12/6 string instrument? Would that provide a sitar like

sound?

Again' date=' no trick photography...multi-neck guitars have been made by a lot of different luthiers ...and sometimes they're octave necks or can be drone strings such as on a sitar...and just because it [i']looks[/i] like a classical guitar's soundboard doesn't mean that the bracing system is the same...

I think you need one of those guitars to play this piece of music......

waltz.gif

Notes

looks very busy with the bass/treble clef notations. All those semi-demi quavers and

a few trill notes..maybe some appogiaturas thrown in too.. now where are those

glissandos?..hmmm

well it's the old adage..if it was hard to write, then it should be just as hard to read.

...and as far as Picasso and cubism goes...the easiest way to understand what Pablo was doing' date=' which often looks strange and disoriented, is to understand about Mercator projection which is a way of taking a globe and making a two dimensional image of it which while accurate in true bearings and setting courses, the sizes of land masses distort as one heads either north or south of the equator so that Greenland appears much larger than say Mexico...which it is not...Picasso took three dimensional objects and "projected" them into a two dimensional form...as if you took a solid object such as a doll and flattened it completely flat ...

[/quote']

I never understood Pablos view of the world anyway. Everything is angular and as you say, distorted, which

for some artists may be the norm. I can't see that he thought too much about flattening out his subjects

in his paintings..that was his style and he just went about and did whatever he wanted. People thought

it was great and maybe it was, but art IS in the eye of the beholder and not everyone sees the same thing.

Salvador Dali was another one of those reality benders. Andy Warhol, well..spattering some paint on a canvas

is not my idea of modern art.

I believe this is the first piece of music I've ever seen noted "light explosives now" or "insert peanuts". What kind of instrument has a peanut hole? and is "Rigatoni" just another tempo indicator? Um, I've already played as long as the doctor allows for today. I'll try this tomorrow.

I got to the directive "duck" and wondered if I should lower my head or shout "quack".

Some moder music authors are just too ambiguous in their score directives.

But since it occurs right after the explosives, I chose to put my head under the music stand.

-------

BTW, while I appreciate Picasso's cubism, it really doesn't speak to me. I look at it and after "digesting" it for a while, it bores me (I do like his sculptures much better). I am not saying it isn't worthy, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Now the aforementioned Dali is another story. I really like Dali and have been to the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, FL many times.

------

And regarding those guitars, I don't want one. I am still working on 6 strings.

There is a wonderful music museum in Vermilion, South Dakota, on the campus of the University of South Dakota; "America's Shrine To Music Museum". It has some great old harp guitars in it (they even have a guitar made by the famous violin builder, Stradavarius).

Go to http://www.usd.edu/smm/ for a preview of some of the great instruments they have in there. Leilani and I spent almost an entire day there.

Although they have no Epiphones on the website, there are plenty of Gibsons, including this 1902 model by Orville Gibson (note the headstock)

10855Gibsonguitarportrait.jpg

And this Harp-guitar by Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company, Kalamazoo, 1916. Style U (18-3/4"). Serial number 30907. Factory order number 3125

2531Gibsonharpguitarportrait.jpg

And is this an early Danelectro?

LYRE-GUI.JPG

No it's a Lyre-guitar by Francois Roudhloff, Paris (1810)

I take it back, I found an EPIPHONE!!!!!

Electric bass guitar by Epiphone, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1967

5221Epiphoneguitarportrait.jpg

There are quite a number of guitars on the site, but you'll have to go there to see the rest.

And if you are ever near Vermilion, SD, plan a day at the museum. It rivals the finest music museums in Europe and just might be the best in the US.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived